Author Topic: CB performance problem  (Read 3734 times)

bnilsson

CB performance problem
« on: July 09, 2007, 10:09:25 am »
Hi!

I have been off the svn updating of CB lately, but now when I try the 4238, I get a feeling that the performance is worse than before.
Now it takes 63 seconds to start, and many of the settings dialogs act very sluggish, same with the opening of source files.
I think it was better before?
I get the same feeling as in the old days, when installing a new version of Microsoft Office was gobbling up the last available cpu power you thought you had.:(

is this only a Mac problem?

Also, a project that builds in 10 seconds with XCode or Codewarrior takes a minute or so with CB.
BUT this may have to do with precompiled headers, I am not sure if I got that right when porting to CB.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2007, 10:33:09 am by bnilsson »

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
Re: CB performance problem
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 06:11:46 am »
bnilsson: This may be bold for me to say, but have you tried to compile C::B yourself? Because I have this idea: How about PROFILING codeblocks? Compile it with debug info and profiling enabled, then follow these steps:
http://www.cs.duke.edu/~ola/courses/programming/gprof.html

This may help to pinpoint the excessive CPU usage. Perhaps the bug's already fixed in current SVN, but I can't be sure - I use windows :P

bnilsson

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 11:04:10 am »
have you tried to compile C::B yourself?
Since I use MacOSX, compiling is the only way.
I will try profiling as soon as I get a chance.
Thanks for the advice.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2007, 04:11:23 pm »
I recommend to first disable all plugins (except compiler) to narrow down the search and to assert that it is not a plugin that burns CPU.

If the problem still persists with all plugins disabled, profiling the application may help, but it will likely be rather painful to track down the actual hot spot.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."