Author Topic: Multiple compilers  (Read 4434 times)

Offline rhf

• Multiple posting newcomer
Multiple compilers
« on: June 07, 2007, 04:23:42 pm »
I would like to have multiple compiler releases available on my windows machine - one for serious work and the others for experimentation. The wiki http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=MinGW_installation is very helpful for setting up a single configuration. However, with multiple configurations, I keep running into difficulties with the different versions of MSYS, MinGW, gcc, CB, etc. It appears that many of you have a similar capability, and I would appreciate any suggestions on how you set up the different directories. One method may be to create completely separate user accounts and switch users back and forth, but this seems to be a rather "brute force" approach.
Thanks,

Offline pauliusz

Re: Multiple compilers
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2007, 04:27:05 pm »
You can make a copy of compiler in CB and change compiler base directory in there.

mariocup

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 04:37:58 pm »
Hi,

I had the same problem but I think there is better solution than using a copy of that compiler. For example you may have two different configuartions in the environment editor e.g.
Serious and one experimentation
In the serious configuartion you put the Env Variables.
MINGWGCC=<path of serious>
and for other configuration
MINGWGCC=<path of exmperimentation>

Now you can use this variable $(MINGWGCC) to configure your compiler and debugger toolchain executables. You can use the env variables configuration even in the project properties.

Another solution I suggest is to use different personalities. If you start codeblocks the configuration is stored in APPDATA\codeblocks\default.conf.
If you start codeblocks from the command line using --personality=experimentation the settings are saved in the configuration is saved in experimentation.conf. This is perhaps the best solution because you may have other menus or less plugins loaded with different personalities. I really love these nice features of codeblocks.

Bye,

Mario

Offline rhf

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2007, 09:57:57 pm »
Another solution I suggest is to use different personalities. If you start codeblocks the configuration is stored in APPDATA\codeblocks\default.conf.
If you start codeblocks from the command line using --personality=experimentation the settings are saved in the configuration is saved in experimentation.conf.

My goodness! I had missed the personality feature completely, and I believe this will indeed do what I want.
Also, the wiki http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Personalities explains how to do this using shortcuts.

Thank you very much.