Author Topic: C::B crashing when quitting or saving files  (Read 6051 times)

Offline johne53

• Regular
C::B crashing when quitting or saving files
« on: April 28, 2007, 07:50:21 am »
I've only been using C::B for 1 day (under OpenSuse 10.2) but already it's locked up about 4 times. The lock-ups seem to occur when I'm quitting from the program (usually when a source file or the configuration needs to be saved). Is this a known issue?

Max

Re: C::B crashing when quitting or saving files
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2007, 09:03:42 am »
Hi,

I am randomly observing crashes quitting CB (latest nightly build on WinXP SP2) as well.

Moreover the "open default worspace" is grayed when CB is just started, it will turn to enabled when a workspace  is opened.

I switched back to an older nightly.. crashes are bad :-)

Max

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2007, 09:25:23 am »
Hi All,

Can you post some crash reports? That would be a nice help to us locating the crash.

Regards,

Biplab
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Max

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2007, 12:33:43 pm »
Hi Biplap,

(Nightly 3899 WinXP SP2)

I wish make a crash report..but I unable to do it. May be the nightly hasn't the debug features enabled.

I got a simple MessageBox (sorry I am a win32 api guy) displaying a memory reference error, only an OK button is present which terminates the application.

Try, please, to explain how to make it!

Max

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 02:49:11 pm »
Hi,

I am randomly observing crashes quitting CB (latest nightly build on WinXP SP2) as well.

Moreover the "open default worspace" is grayed when CB is just started, it will turn to enabled when a workspace  is opened.

I switched back to an older nightly.. crashes are bad :-)

Max

I've noticed some exit-crashes generated by wxSmith. After adding few fixes I haven't had any. Fixes should be in next nightly. Also you could try compiling sources from svn.

Please send me back informations whether thisworks or not, because that type of crash may be platform and hardware dependent.

BYO

Max

« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 03:04:25 pm »
Byo,

I will try the next nightly but... I am not using WxSmith and the three wxSmith plugins are disabled in my configuration.

Don't get my wrong .. wxSmith is a good tool but I am an old dog still using Win32api, sooner or later I will switch to wxWidgets.....

Max

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2007, 03:07:10 pm »
I got a simple MessageBox (sorry I am a win32 api guy) displaying a memory reference error, only an OK button is present which terminates the application.

I've noticed this crash, too. But I'm staying online for very few hours a day. :(

So by the time I posted my last reply, I found Byo have already posted some fix. As Byo said, please wait for the next nightly. :)

I will try the next nightly but... I am not using WxSmith and the three wxSmith plugins are disabled in my configuration.

I'll try to see reproduce this bug tonight. It's possible that other part is contributing towards crash.

Regards,

Biplab
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2007, 03:16:08 pm »
Don't get my wrong .. wxSmith is a good tool but I am an old dog still using Win32api, sooner or later I will switch to wxWidgets.....

No problem, I respect personal beliefs and habits, I don't feel offended ;).

But because of some techniques wxSmith uses, it does few things even when it's disabled (just when loading or unloading wxSmith's dlls - it initialize and uninitialize global variables). So for now you could just phisically delete wxSmith.dll and wxSmithContribItems.dll and that should stop any crashes :)

And by the way - I've been using Win32Api some time ago. It was pretty stable comparing to wxWidgets (I mean something that should work was working and something that should not was not working in Win32API, can not say the same about wx). But wxWidgets is irreplaceable when trying to write cross-platform app :)

Regards
   BYO

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2007, 09:35:27 pm »
Small update: The crash at close still happen  :? It will need some more investigation. I'll try to fix this at monday, but after that I got one week off so it may happen that the fix will have to wait a little bit.

Regards
  BYO

Offline raph

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2007, 10:21:43 pm »
Byo,

As I just found out, cb also crashes, when you set wxCB_SORT property on a wxChoice control.

Regards
raph

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2007, 02:54:31 pm »
wxCB_SORT fixed :) Thanks for reporting and waiting for other reports if you find anything ;)

I've applied another possible fix for crash at exit. This time I've traced using of structure after it's been destroyed but it's memory was still not freed. Hope this will be better than previous ;)

BYO

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 09:01:53 pm »
Oops, sorry - I didn't have notifications turned on for this topic..! Is the problem fixed now?? I'll supply a crash log if someone can tell me how to do it....

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 12:42:16 am »
I provided some solution but I'm not sure if it will fix the problem. I've done some basic tests and it didn't occur for me. But if it will crash for you you're more than welcome to notify here ;) I'm almost sure that I've found the reason of crash but since it's really hard to trace I could be wrong. If there's still the crash, I'll try to find the reason (again ;) ).

BYO