Author Topic: General questions  (Read 21026 times)

Offline johne53

• Regular
Re: General questions
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2007, 02:34:48 pm »
Is it possible that I just didn't install it properly? I didn't run any setup program. I just used 7zip to extract the main file tree and I then placed the 2 required DLL's into the same folder as codeblocks.exe

Is there maybe something more that I should have done?

Offline ANIRBAN GHOSH

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2007, 02:44:59 pm »
Ok,then tell me how you have installed your nightly build over RC2. May be I can fix up your problem!

Offline Charon

• Multiple posting newcomer
  • fnord
    • charon - where mental illness meets chronic nonsense
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2007, 02:48:48 pm »
@ANIRBAN GHOSH: he didn't install a nightly build over RC2

@johne53:
No, thats exactly the right way to install a nightly.

But if i remember right there was another guy some time ago which used 7zip to extract codeblocks. His version corrupted some files though. After he upgraded 7zip to the newest version everything went right.
Maybe you should give this a try if you don't already have the newest 7zip version.

Just for completeness have a look at both attachments : folder.png shows you how the layout should look (i just didn't extend "templates") while content.png shows you which files should be in the top-most folder (named "CodeBlocks" in folder.png)

good luck
Markus

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 02:50:50 pm by Charon »
hi, i am a signature virus. please copy me into your sig!
Wish list : no root-node for workspaces, open files and symbols; world domination

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2007, 03:31:52 pm »
Ah - I just realised that the missing file is wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.dll (note the 'u').  Does this maybe denote a Unicode build?  If so, where do I get that DLL from?

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2007, 03:37:45 pm »
Ah - I just realised that the missing file is wxmsw26u_gcc_cb.dll (note the 'u').  Does this maybe denote a Unicode build?
Yep, it looks like you inadvertently grabbed the ANSI build.

If so, where do I get that DLL from?
Further up in the same nightly build post:
http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2AndCbPatch_version3.7z
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2007, 04:11:25 pm »
Thanks guys that seems to have fixed the problem.

Incidentally, I noticed that Code::Blocks freely loads up a Visual C++ project (in my case, Visual C++ 6) but when I try to compile it, I get an error saying "ComboDemo - Win32 Release" uses an invalid compiler [YOUR ANSWER IS ALREADY THERE. SEARCH THE FORUMS!]. Is that to be expected? Code::Blocks seemd to be happy to let me to select Visual C++ as a default compiler.

[Edit...] In fact, I've realised that I get the same message, no matter what compiler I select.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 04:19:10 pm by johne53 »

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2007, 05:19:53 pm »
Code::Blocks seemd to be happy to let me to select Visual C++ as a default compiler.
If you haven't setup that compiler correctly (or any other you choose) C::B reports just the truth: The compiler is not (setup) valid. Verify the setup of your preferred compiler (is it installed at all?!).
With regards, Morten.
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2007, 05:36:29 pm »
Thanks Morten. What's the procedure for setting up a compiler? When I first launched C::B it listed about 15 compilers it had supposedly auto-detected (including several compilers that I didn't even know I had). I selected Visual C++ 2003 as the default compiler - then loaded a VC++ project. Do I also need to set up some compiler parameters or something?

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2007, 06:40:02 pm »
Okay, I found out how to set up the correct path to my compiler. Now when I try to compile my source file I get this message:-

Execution of 'cl.exe /nologo /MD /W3 /GX /O2 /DWIN32 /DNDEBUG /D_WINDOWS /D_AFXDLL /FD /Zp1 /D_MBCS /DFILETREECTRL_NO_RESOURCES   /c ComboDemo.cpp /FoRelease\ComboDemo.obj' in 'D:\Program Files\ComboDemoNew' failed.

Is there any way to get a report of why the failure happened?
« Last Edit: April 25, 2007, 06:55:32 pm by johne53 »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2007, 07:08:39 am »
This could be due to other reasons. Such as the Platform SDK path not found. Check whether it is in PATH or not.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2007, 07:42:41 am »
Well the short answer is No, it isn't in my PATH variable. However, under DOS/Windows, the PATH variable has a limited number of characters. For at least the past 15 years it's been considered 'bad form' to be constantly adding folders into one's path. In fact, I tried a few things this morning - but I can't even find out how to change the PATH, these days. It used to be in AUTOEXEC.BAT but AFAIK, that isn't used these days. The path that's printed there doesn't bear much relation to my actual path....  :(

[Edit...] Just as an experiment, I've written a small batch file that adds the relevant directory to my path. When I now run C::B and try to compile the same file I get the same error message. I then copied the command line (issued by C::B) and pasted it into a terminal window. The error message that came up was "fatal error C1083: Cannot open source file: 'ComboDemo.cpp': No such file or directory"

This probably indicates that C::B needs to be sending the full path for each source file (instead of just it's name). Is there any way to achieve this?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2007, 08:13:45 am by johne53 »

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2007, 09:40:12 am »
I found out that I could add the full path using the 'Advanced Options' dialog (see my post, above). When I now attempt a compile, the same, lengthy 'failed' message appears - but of course, this time, it shows the full path to my source file, instead of just its name.

Once again, I copied the Code::Blocks command to my clipboard and pasted it into a terminal window. This time, the reason given for failure was:-

fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: ‘afxwin.h’: No such file or directory

I can solve that quite easily - but my question is this.... will I ever get to the stage where C::B is giving me 'human friendly' error messages, like the above? Under Settings->Other settings, there are various options for Compiler Logging. However, none of those options seems to give me meaningfull error messages. What am I doing wrong here? I don't see how it can be possible to compile anything if the only errors flagged up are 'success' or 'failure'.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2007, 09:47:26 am »
Look at the Red coloured messages. They indicate error messages. Read them and you'll get better understanding of the problem.

By the way C::B doesn't generate those error messages. It's the compiler which throws that message. C::B merely presents it in a nice format.

Offline johne53

• Regular
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2007, 09:50:00 am »
The red ones are the ones I'm talking about. Is it possible that I'm looking in the wrong place? I currently have the 'Build Log' tab selected for viewing. Is that right or wrong?

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #29 on: April 26, 2007, 09:56:55 am »
No you are at the right place.

If possible, please attach a full build-log with your reply so that people can help you better. :)