Author Topic: wxSmith not a Delphi like form designer?  (Read 9453 times)

Offline creatxr

• Multiple posting newcomer
wxSmith not a Delphi like form designer?
« on: April 17, 2007, 06:53:29 pm »
It seems that wxSmith doesn't a Delphi like form designer, does it ?

I wish Code::Blocks could have a Delphi like form designer such as  wxdevcpp.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: wxSmith not a Delphi like form designer?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2007, 06:55:42 pm »
What do you mean by saying Delphi-like form designer ?

Offline creatxr

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2007, 07:17:33 pm »
that's means that designer must at least have GUI designer with properties editor and event editor.

such as wxdevcpp has done.

================================

I sorry. I 've found the resource tab now.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 07:32:27 pm by creatxr »

Offline kelo81

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2007, 08:38:41 pm »
I think I know what creatxr is saying... He wants a RAD tool like wxdevcpp. That's an amazing tool I already tried some time ago. wxSmith is quite different, it's still being developed, and it has a great future as one of the most important plugins on Codeblocks. If you like the wxdevcpp style, then why not to use wxdevcpp?, I prefer wxSmith like style because of its portability, and of course because it comes with Codeblocks, which in my opinion is the best C++ IDE I ever seen.
Ezequiel Ruiz
Tango/04 consultant
www.tango04.com

Offline creatxr

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2007, 09:25:44 pm »
in the pass , I like Delphi/C++Builder . because they are RAD tools and they have a nice form desinger  .

their visible classes have a useful property "align" , with its value "alClient" , the controls can auto resize while its parent 's control 's size is changed.

now I want a Cross-platform free IDE to write Cross-platform app but not java or .net. 

eclipse 'cdt isn't mature. but it has acdt for developping AspectC .

I think Code::Blocks is the bestest tool as far as I know.

but it still has something not expedient.

I wish C::B has two features in the future:
1.) could develop AspectC  (http://www.aspectc.org/)
2.) could refacte easy

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2007, 10:03:19 pm »
Ok, I must play with wxDevC++ to see you idea. The only thing that worries me now is that wxWidgets mostly focus on sizers and may not provide things you want directly. If that could be implemented in any way, there won't be a problem but if that can not be done, I won't be able to do anything.

The only thing I can give you now (read in short time ;) ) is background of window with grid and snap-to-grid feature and creation of items with pointing by mouse.

Regards
  BYO

Offline creatxr

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2007, 10:32:51 pm »
 :lol:

I saw a topic right now .

for dicussing wxdevcpp & wxSmith & wxFormBuilder

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,5685.0.html

wish :
1) wxD (http://wxd.sourceforge.net/)
2) AspectC  (http://www.aspectc.org/)
3) easy refacting

Offline raph

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2007, 05:51:35 pm »
Hey byo,

What do you think about modifying the "Identifier" property a little bit?
An editable drop down list with items like wxID_ANY, wxID_OK, wxID_CANCEL, wxID_ABOUT etc would be great
Also, please allow two controls to have the same identifier (currently have a menu and a popup menu with some identical items) 8)

Back to topic: I really like (wxWidgets) sizer system cause I don't have to care much about control position coordinates and sizes (was a pain with MFC).

Greetings raph

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2007, 06:51:18 pm »
What do you think about modifying the "Identifier" property a little bit?
An editable drop down list with items like wxID_ANY, wxID_OK, wxID_CANCEL, wxID_ABOUT etc would be great

That could be done

Also, please allow two controls to have the same identifier (currently have a menu and a popup menu with some identical items) 8)
And that may introduce some serious problems (for example to find widget inside window loaded from XRC file propertly, you CAN NOT specify same identifiers for multiple objects). Of course in some circumstances it won't be a problem, but they must be clearily defined. I'm working on other features now, so just give me some time :)

Back to topic: I really like (wxWidgets) sizer system cause I don't have to care much about control position coordinates and sizes (was a pain with MFC).

And that's why it's worth of learning about sizers. It may be hard for beginners, but will help much during the future development process. In short time it becomes clear that you have to work less to understand how sizers work than to face all problems that will occur when you don't use them (just like automatic layout when resizing window).

BYO

Offline raph

• Almost regular
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2007, 07:35:23 pm »
And that may introduce some serious problems (for example to find widget inside window loaded from XRC file propertly, you CAN NOT specify same identifiers for multiple objects). Of course in some circumstances it won't be a problem, but they must be clearily defined. I'm working on other features now, so just give me some time :)
You're right, I haven't thought about xrc :?.
So could you allow multiple wxID_ANY?
Don't want to have a member var for every control (e.g. panels, static texts) in my window class  :D

raph