Author Topic: The 04 April 2007 build is out.  (Read 21104 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 04 April 2007 build is out.
« on: April 04, 2007, 08:03:50 pm »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

To fix the menu alignment bug introduced in wx 2.6.3 [windows only bug] we have patched wx ourselves, and that results in the following alternative dll : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2AndCbPatch_version3.7z

For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10.7z

For support of ansi builds, a link to the ansi windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

The 04 April 2007 build is out.
  - Windows : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20070404_rev3811_win32.7z
  - Linux :
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20070404_rev3811_Ubuntu6.xx.deb
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20070404_rev3811_suse100-102.i586.rpm (not yet)
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20070404_rev3811_fc4+5.i586.rpm (not yet)

Resolved Fixed:

• Fixed: [Bug #10797] Renaming a file to an existing file deletes old file (By applying modified [Patch #1939], thx pauliusz) + reworked and improved
  • Fixed: [Bug #10792 and Bug #10798] Sent twice Parameters to external tools (By applying modified [Patch #1941], thx pauliusz)
  • CodeSnippets 1.1.53 2007/04/3
    -Ability to save Snippets as external files
    -Ability to edit externally saved Snippet file
    -New Text vs File Link icons
    -Ability to Rearrange tree with Drag and Drop
    - Drag Snippet to Category
    - Drag Category to Category
    - Drag Snippet to Snippet creates new Category with old Snippet
    - Drag Snippets/Categories outward and inward.
    -Convert To Category context menu facility
    -Added drag snippet item outward (MSW) w/ both text/file drag formats
    -Dragging snippet File Link to CB opens the file.
    -Changed text editor to Scintilla
    -Added DragScrolling to Editor
    -Allow Editor/Properties DragNDrop in both directions
    -Expand first level Snippets on Startup
    -Check for externally modified XML file
    -Free resources & save index when Snippet window closes
    -Portability
    -User specified window placement
    -User specified XML placement
    -User specified external editor
    -Save XML index file menu entry
    -About info and context menu entry
    -Snippet Properties Dialog
  • CodeSnippets 1.1.54 2007/04/3
    - Fix Linux: add const to use of wxWX2MBbuf cbU2C(const wxString& str);

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

• toolbar-images-not-changing-state (is a wx problem/Win XP problem)
  • menu items with icon not correctly aligned (since wx263) (is fixed with our special wx263/wx28 dll)

« Last Edit: April 04, 2007, 10:56:07 pm by killerbot »

shemgp

Re: The 04 April 2007 build is out.
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 08:08:27 am »
Hi,

I'm using ubuntu feisty (development branch), codeblocks rev 3811 (from svn).
I can't seem to make debug work.  When i click debug it would display this:
Adding file: bin/Debug/test
Starting debugger: done
Registered new type: wxString
Registered new type: STL String
Registered new type: STL Vector
Setting breakpoints

but it doesn't display the xterm.  It also says "Unable to stop the debug process!" when i try to stop it.
I'm debugging a simple hello world program from created from the project wizard.

Thank you for your help.

toodles

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 10:36:49 am »
Hello!

I have the exact same problem! I'm also using ubuntu feisty and debugging refuses to work for me. I'm getting the same error messages too.

Are there any log files I can post that might help in finding this problem?

toodles

jAyTeA

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 11:07:08 am »
Hi there!

Same problem here on a Ubuntu Edgy Eft Machine.
Just to show that its not only feisty.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 01:42:55 pm »
It it's a console xterm you want, there's a patch to provide one.

https://developer.berlios.de/patch/?func=detailpatch&patch_id=1882&group_id=5358

use the "view raw patch" to see lastest revisions.

hmmm, how long has this patch been sitting there. Oh, only two months. Three more months to go, I guess, if the average still holds.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 02:15:06 pm by Pecan »

toodles

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2007, 02:42:15 pm »
I'm new to C and have never even touched C++, so please don't kill me for asking this. I'm just trying to understand. The patch was created two months ago because there was an issue  --  and since then, that issue has been present in every release of CodeBlocks making the debugging feature effectively useless on (any?) linux distribution? But the patch would fix this if it was included?

If I understood this correctly, why is the patch not in SVN yet? Especially if it seems to render something as important as debugging unusable. Again, don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing - I simply want to understand. :-)

Of course, if I have interpreted the situation correctly, it would be lovely to see the problem fixed, especially if it's fixed as easily :-) as with the above patch!

toodles

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2007, 04:14:00 pm »
I'm new to C and have never even touched C++, so please don't kill me for asking this. I'm just trying to understand. The patch was created two months ago because there was an issue  --  and since then, that issue has been present in every release of CodeBlocks making the debugging feature effectively useless on (any?) linux distribution? But the patch would fix this if it was included?

If I understood this correctly, why is the patch not in SVN yet? Especially if it seems to render something as important as debugging unusable. Again, don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing - I simply want to understand. :-)

Of course, if I have interpreted the situation correctly, it would be lovely to see the problem fixed, especially if it's fixed as easily :-) as with the above patch!

toodles

I've asked myself the same question for two months. It took me weeks of work to learn how to fix the problem and come up with a patch.

It might not be acceptable to one of the core developers. But no one has made any suggestion as to how to make it acceptable.

I just don't understand the situation. It was even completely ignored during this last week-of-bug-fixes.

Suffice it to say, I've learned my lesson. It's not worth the extreme  amount of work and effort it takes to chase a bug and develop a patch for the core CB.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 04:21:27 pm by Pecan »

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2007, 04:42:44 pm »
I've asked myself the same question for two months. It took me weeks of work to learn how to fix the problem and come up with a patch.

I can understand your pain. So please don't take my answer to be a flame.

It might not be acceptable to one of the core developers.

You are also a part of C::B Team and you know very well whom to ask about this. Just ask him directly. May be he has forgot / overlooked the patch. :)

But no one has made any suggestion as to how to make it acceptable.

IMHO, to give a suggestion on improving it one needs to understand the patch and should have enough knowledge of debugging procedures. This is one of the reasons that you didn't receive any suggestion from other core developers. My suggestion ask the person directly. :)

Regards,

Biplab
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2007, 05:00:28 pm »
My suggestion ask the person directly. :)

Ok, maybe you're right. I don't usually get an answer when I ask, but I'm willing to try again.

Hey, Yiannis

How about patch
https://developer.berlios.de/patch/?func=detailpatch&patch_id=1882&group_id=5358

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2007, 05:04:36 pm »
It might not be acceptable to one of the core developers. But no one has made any suggestion as to how to make it acceptable.

I just don't understand the situation. It was even completely ignored during this last week-of-bug-fixes.

Suffice it to say, I've learned my lesson. It's not worth the extreme  amount of work and effort it takes to chase a bug and develop a patch for the core CB.
Pecan, I would very much prefer if you could stop this bitching. Thank you.

No one has made any suggestion as to how to make it acceptable? What the hell!
Just like you did with the ConfigManager (which is unusable, always crashing, and not documented according to your comments) you are not respecting one core developer's efforts in this case, either. All you do is whine and spread a bad mood.
Had you taken five minutes of time to look at the last few weeks' changes or the related forum threads in the developers section (to which you have acccess for that very reason), then you might have an idea of one thing that's not good with your patch. But of course it is a lot easier to just complain.
Besides, before reading your above comment, I would gladly have taken the time to make the necessary modifications.

Anyway, the simple reason why this patch was not applied is that nobody had time to review it yet. And as far as I am personally concerned, I'll not have time for it for quite a long time now. Maybe someone else will...
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

toodles

« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2007, 06:05:42 pm »
It is not my place to voice any opinions on unresolved issues between team members, so I won't. Even if I wanted to, I could not as I have not read the relevant forums, nor am I a member of the C::B team.

I simply want to point out that I'm sure there are lots of linux users that cannot use the debugging feature, other than thoses who have mentioned it in the forums. It's obvious that the C::B team is aware of the problem so I think every linux user has a reason to be happy. :-)

For those users who cannot use the debugging feature under linux, it will clearly take some time to resolve the bug as some C::B team issues are still unresolved and take precedence. I'm glad to see that it's being discussed! Discussion = Progress :-D , so let's be patient and give the C::B Team as much time as they need. After all, it's because of them that we have this brilliant IDE!!

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2007, 06:08:02 pm »

Pecan, I would very much prefer if you could stop this bitching. Thank you.

What you prefer is not getting the linux debugger fixed.

No one has made any suggestion as to how to make it acceptable? What the hell!

Right, no one paid any attention at all.

Just like you did with the ConfigManager (which is unusable, always crashing, and not documented according to your comments) you are not respecting one core developer's efforts in this case, either.

ConfigManger? I can't make change to the ConfigManger. What are you whining about. My ConfigManager works fine. I think. Is yours crashing?

All you do is whine and spread a bad mood.

Maybe we could bring back takeshi miya and you could spread all the bad mood again yourself.

Had you taken five minutes of time to look at the last few weeks' changes or the related forum threads in the developers section (to which you have acccess for that very reason), then you might have an idea of one thing that's not good with your patch.

What are you talking about. I can find no messages about or references to that patch in "Bug-fix Week" or anyone making suggests as to how it  isn't acceptable or to make it more acceptable to anyone.

But of course it is a lot easier to just complain.
Besides, before reading your above comment, I would gladly have taken the time to make the necessary modifications.

Please do. All us linux user would appreciate a usable debugger.

Anyway, the simple reason why this patch was not applied is that nobody had time to review it yet. And as far as I am personally concerned, I'll not have time for it for quite a long time now. Maybe someone else will...

It would be appreciated by us all...
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 08:36:52 pm by Pecan »

shemgp

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2007, 07:35:28 pm »
Hi again,

I tried applying Pecan's 1881 and 1882 patch.

The xterm did show up, but was still unable to debug the program because the Continue, Next Line, Step Into.. etc menu items got grayed out once i hit the debug button.  I also did try setting the breakpoint and i got the same results.  Still can't stop the debug session, and when i try to close C::B, the xterm remains opened. I'm guessing that the problem is not just displaying the xterm.

Just reporting bugs, hope you can fix it when you guys have time :D.  If you need me go generate any logs, just say so.  Btw, should i file a bug report for this?

Keep up the good work.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2007, 07:50:22 pm »
Quote from: toodles
I simply want to point out that I'm sure there are lots of linux users that cannot use the debugging feature, other than thoses who have mentioned it in the forums.

If everyone would stop generalizing when talking about problems, life would be so much easier. The debugger works. Saying it doesn't is only spreading FUD. What it doesn't do is spawn a separate terminal for debugging console apps. That's way different from a fuzzy "it doesn't work".

Pecan, I can't talk about a patch I have not had the time to review. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you 'll stop whining.
When will I review it? When I have the time.

You 're free to spend your time any way you want. Just remember that not all of us are like you. I, personally, still have to work to feed my family and so my free time is limited.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2007, 08:23:47 pm »
Quote from: toodles
I simply want to point out that I'm sure there are lots of linux users that cannot use the debugging feature, other than thoses who have mentioned it in the forums.

If everyone would stop generalizing when talking about problems, life would be so much easier. The debugger works. Saying it doesn't is only spreading FUD. What it doesn't do is spawn a separate terminal for debugging console apps. That's way different from a fuzzy "it doesn't work".

Pecan, I can't talk about a patch I have not had the time to review. The sooner you realize this, the sooner you 'll stop whining.
When will I review it? When I have the time.

You 're free to spend your time any way you want. Just remember that not all of us are like you. I, personally, still have to work to feed my family and so my free time is limited.

Well... there's the answer finally. Though it took quite a bit of whining to get it.

As for spending my time... I am in fact free to spend it.

But patching for CB is just plain a waste of time.

Since I like contributing to CB, I'll contribute where I can apply the changes myself.

Much less frustrating, and much less a waste of what little life I have left.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 08:42:39 pm by Pecan »