Author Topic: The 30 March 2007 build is out.  (Read 16046 times)

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: The 30 March 2007 build is out.
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2007, 09:57:55 pm »
I have not tried VirtualBox, but I love that it is open-source. If it works as good as VMWare I will probably never use VMWare again.
I haven't tried VirtualBox either. Looking at it now, the one big reason I won't be using it is the lack of 64-bit OS support. In addition to that, other reviews and comments about it are indicating that it's not as mature or stable as VMWare. So far, VMWare is the best choice for me because it's not just limited to one OS (unlike andLinux), supports 64-bit OSes (unlike VirtualBox), and can interface with the necessary hardware without requiring a complex configuration process (unlike Qemu). I have a special soft spot in my heart for software that "just works".

VirtualBox probably wins out over VMWare Player in the area of additional features, since VMWare would like users to pay for the commercial edition to get those features.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline rjmyst3

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • wxFormBuilder
Re: The 30 March 2007 build is out.
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2007, 10:31:05 pm »
The easiest way to do it is to create an empty virtual machine at EasyVMX.com, put the Linux install CD in your CD drive, and load the vmx file in VMWare Player.

I have not used EasyVMX, but VMWare Server is also free now. VMWare Server can create virtual machines, so there is no need for a third party service. I found it very easy to create and manage multiple virtual machines. VMWare Server also does everything VMWare Player can do, so it is an all in one solution. And, for an extra bonus, it is also very easy to install on a linux host machine.