Author Topic: How to install nightly builds on Linux Mandriva 2007  (Read 8015 times)

Offline pivit80

• Multiple posting newcomer
How to install nightly builds on Linux Mandriva 2007
« on: March 26, 2007, 09:42:46 am »
Hi,
I've installed a few month ago, codeblocks stable release 1.0RC2 on my linux mandriva 2007 distro.
All works fine!

but now I want to install the latest nightly builds in order to use a better code completion, and all other new and updated features.

Is it possible to install a nightly builds on mandriva 2007?
I can see only RPM package for Ubuntu, fedora and suse;
are Suse RPM packages compatible with Mandriva?
otherwise is there nothing I can do to install it on mandriva?

Thank you in advance.

pv

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: How to install nightly builds on Linux Mandriva 2007
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 09:46:47 am »
You can build a Mandriva package from the source code / SVN repository ? (let us know any changes needed)

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_RPM_based_distributions

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 10:07:02 am »
The safest way is to build it yourself.

The suse package works on mandriva 2006, perhaps with 2007 too. But I never checked this with 2007. (forget this, there will be dependency problems because the wxgtk package has another name)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 10:57:40 am by daniel2000 »
Nightly builds for openSUSE

Offline Commodore64

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 11:13:30 am »
I had a lot of problems when I tried to compile C::B on Mandriva 2007.

First, after installing the wxWidgets 2.6.x package I found out that some files were missing. Namely, wx-config was absent from my system. Thus I could not compile.  :cry:

Then I tried to compile wxWidgets by hand: but this time some important files were missing from the GTK+ developement package. :evil:

To make the long story short: I was trying to install C::B on the laptop of some people at their first Linux experience. I was a former fan of Mandriva, so I suggested to install Mandriva 2007... well, after this experience I told them to uninstall Mandriva and install Ubuntu instead :(

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 11:40:38 am »
You're right, they renamed it to wx-config-ansi and wx-config-unicode, what a crap. don't they now that the wx-config script can handle more than one wxwidgets version !?  :shock:

@pivit80: you will have to add the option --with-wx-config=/usr/bin/wx-config-unicode to ./configure. The wxGTK packages you need are libwxgtku2.6-devel and it's dependencies (and the other packages mentioned on the wiki page). :)

Offline Commodore64

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 11:45:34 am »
Uhm... I'm still wondering why wx-config-unicode didn't pop up when I used TAB to autocomplete wx-c... on the console  :?
Anyway, I don't have Mandriva 2007 anymore to do experiments.

Offline pivit80

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2007, 11:46:54 am »
Hi Commodore,
I'm also a mandriva fan;
Remember, I've had your same problems first time I installed codeblocks;
you don't see wx-config because you don't have installed it;
in order to install it you must install

libwxGTKu2.6-2.6.3-mdv2007
libwxGTKu2.6-devel-2.6.3-mdv2007
libwxGTKglu2.6-2.6.3-mdv2007

don't istall them by hand.
Use RPM install center.
You need just an internet connection;
RPM manager automatically download and install it from internet.
If you doesn't manage in finding it in installation center,
it may be you repository isn't updated;
to update it you must use urpmi command from shell;
you can obtain a complete command line for urpmi command from,
http://easyurpmi.zarb.org/?language=it

follow steps; they are very simple;
at the end you obtain the command lines for urpmi command;
just run them in shell, and wait your repository are updated;
Now, in your installation center you have definitions of the latest mandriva 2007 software;
just install it....

I hope its clear.

pv

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2007, 11:48:05 am »
You're right, they renamed it to wx-config-ansi and wx-config-unicode, what a crap. don't they now that the wx-config script can handle more than one wxwidgets version !?  :shock:

FreeBSD (and other systems) also do this, I think they call theirs wxgtk2u-2.6-config (for instance)

The problem otherwise is that the wx-config symlinks will conflict if you try to install more than one package. But they do set up (in the Ports makefiles) the $WX_CONFIG environment variable to point the one to be used.

Offline pivit80

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2007, 11:58:35 am »
HI daniel2000,
I'm triyng to compile latest svn,
but I obtain some errors;
I've run:

./configure --with-wx-config=/usr/bin/wx-config-unicode --enable-contrib

OK.

But when I do make, I obtain this error:

g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I. -I. -I/usr/lib/wx/include/ -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.6 -I/usr/include/wx-2.6 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -DNO_GCC_PRAGMA   -I../../src/sdk/wxscintilla/include -I../../src/sdk/tinyxml  -I/usr/lib/wx/include/ -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.6 -I/usr/include/wx-2.6 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -DNO_GCC_PRAGMA  -g -O2 -O2 -ffast-math -I/usr/lib/wx/include/ -I/usr/lib/wx/include/gtk2-unicode-release-2.6 -I/usr/include/wx-2.6 -DGTK_NO_CHECK_CASTS -D__WXGTK__ -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGE_FILES -DNO_GCC_PRAGMA -DCB_PRECOMP -Winvalid-pch -fPIC -DPIC -o ./sdk.h.gch -xc++-header ./sdk.h
./editormanager.h:129: error: extra qualification ‘EditorManager::’ on member ‘GetTree’
./managedthread.h:14: error: extra qualification ‘ManagedThread::’ on member ‘ManagedThread’
./managedthread.h:15: error: extra qualification ‘ManagedThread::’ on member ‘ManagedThread’
./xtra_classes.h:21: error: extra qualification ‘wxSplitPanel::’ on member ‘wxSplitPanel’
./xtra_classes.h:24: error: extra qualification ‘wxSplitPanel::’ on member ‘wxSplitPanel’
./xtra_classes.h:36: error: extra qualification ‘wxSplitPanel::’ on member ‘RefreshSplitter’
./xtra_classes.h:38: error: extra qualification ‘wxSplitPanel::’ on member ‘wxSplitPanel’

I'll grant I've all required libraries installed;
the stable release works fine;
I'll grant I've uninstalled previous codeblocks version (stable 1.0RC2)

Why this error?

my wx libraries installed are:

libwxgtkglu2.6-2.6.3-7mdv2007.0
libwxgtku2.6-2.6.3-7mdv2007.0
libwxgtku2.6-devel-2.6.3-7mdv2007.0
wxGTK2.6-devel-2.6.3-7mdv2007.0

Thank you in advance
pv

Offline Commodore64

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2007, 12:02:27 pm »
@Pietro: thank you for your hints.
I installed the packages with the rpm graphical tool (the one in "configure your computer").
Only, I don't remember the package libwxGTKglu2.6-2.6.3-mdv2007: what is it?

Anyway, as I was saying before,  I cannot try again: I had problems when working on other people's machines. On my machine I run Mandriva 2006, and everything works fine.

But I have the general impression that Mandriva is giving more and more problems... I'm sorry but I think that I'll try Kubuntu as my next Linux distro :( (also because it's much easier to find packages for ubuntu...)

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2007, 12:03:32 pm »

FreeBSD (and other systems) also do this, I think they call theirs wxgtk2u-2.6-config (for instance)

The problem otherwise is that the wx-config symlinks will conflict if you try to install more than one package. But they do set up (in the Ports makefiles) the $WX_CONFIG environment variable to point the one to be used.

Perhaps it was too hard to say "Don't they know". There are perhaps reason, they won't do it just for fun. But it isn't userfriendly.

Doesn't wx-config --version=2.6 work if you have more than one wxgtk version ?

@pivit80: seems be a "fault" in codeblocks. Wait a bit and you will see it fixed ;) Perhaps checkout revision 3758 (worked for me on suse 10.2). Just add -r 3758 to the svn checkout

Offline pivit80

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2007, 12:06:35 pm »
oops... :oops:
very stupid mistake;
I haven't moved to trunk directory in my downloaded svn version.
Now all seems to works;
It is installing...

Thank you again and excuse me.
pv

Offline afb

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2007, 12:34:17 pm »

Perhaps it was too hard to say "Don't they know". There are perhaps reason, they won't do it just for fun. But it isn't userfriendly.

"Unix is user friendly - it's just picky about it's friends" :-)

But we should probably fix our configure so that it picks up on any $WX_CONFIG,
instead of requiring "wx-config" overrides to use the --with-wx-config parameter ?

It works fine, what I meant was that the actual *file* - be it /usr/bin/wx-config or
/usr/local/bin/wx-config will conflict between different packages upon installation.
Some package systems choose to delete the wx-config symlink from the package,
and then create a temporary symlink when you install -devel package instead.

But then you get a "dangling" wx-config program (that doesn't belong to a port/package),
so FreeBSD chose to rename the config program instead. (so they use --with-wx-config)
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/using-wx.html
Which reminds me that we also need to fix it to look for 2.6 and reject any 2.8 install...

Offline pivit80

« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2007, 01:15:29 pm »
For Commodore64,

It is many years I use linux;
I've understood when a problem occurs it is almost always due to a "lack of knoledge", and rarely is due to particular linux distro;
otherwise you have found a bug in the distribution.

Besides, I've tried many distro, and can say, mandriva2007 is a powerful distro and above all a simple distro;
more visual, more connective, etc..

It may be you don't like mandriva2007, because you have had problems you doesn't manage in solve.
But, if you doesn't manage in solve a problem on Ubuntu, you change also this distribution?

The solution isn't to change distribution;
It is to understand the problem, that rarely is due to distro;
but, often is due to particular program you are compiling, lack of librarires etc..

This IMHO.
pv

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2007, 01:22:46 pm »
oops... :oops:
very stupid mistake;
I haven't moved to trunk directory in my downloaded svn version.
Now all seems to works;
It is installing...

Thank you again and excuse me.
pv
Nice to hear that it works :D
"Unix is user friendly - it's just picky about it's friends" :-)

But we should probably fix our configure so that it picks up on any $WX_CONFIG,
instead of requiring "wx-config" overrides to use the --with-wx-config parameter ?
Don't know whether it's so easy. I'll look how other projects handle this.

It works fine, what I meant was that the actual *file* - be it /usr/bin/wx-config or
/usr/local/bin/wx-config will conflict between different packages upon installation.
Some package systems choose to delete the wx-config symlink from the package,
and then create a temporary symlink when you install -devel package instead.

But then you get a "dangling" wx-config program (that doesn't belong to a port/package),
so FreeBSD chose to rename the config program instead. (so they use --with-wx-config)
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/porters-handbook/using-wx.html
Thanks for clearing my mind  :D
You're right this works till you have independent wx packages with it's own or no wx-config. Either you have no wx-config or you have one which belongs to multiple packages, which causes problems when you uninstall one (if it was possible to install both :roll:)  :lol:
But you can handle this with an extra wx-config package. No devel package installs a wx-config, but all require the wx-config package. The problem here, what happens if someone installs the wx-config without a devel package  :lol: Seems to be a difficult thing, so I won't criticise any solution anymore ;)
Which reminds me that we also need to fix it to look for 2.6 and reject any 2.8 install...
Yeah, you're right here too :D
« Last Edit: March 26, 2007, 01:24:32 pm by daniel2000 »