Author Topic: wxSmith suggestions  (Read 8707 times)

Offline AmR EiSa

• Multiple posting newcomer
wxSmith suggestions
« on: March 13, 2007, 07:40:00 pm »
Hello ,
How are you byo ?
i have some suggestion for wxSmith , i know i'm only user for CB but i hope too look at that.
what about removeing the new menu and use wxMenuToolBar wxMenuToolBar ?
and next suggestion will be after you reply.

Thanks,
AmR EiSa

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
Re: wxSmith suggestions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2007, 12:22:13 am »
Hello ,
How are you byo ?
i have some suggestion for wxSmith , i know i'm only user for CB but i hope too look at that.
what about removeing the new menu and use wxMenuToolBar wxMenuToolBar ?
and next suggestion will be after you reply.

Thanks,
AmR EiSa

Hmm, looks very interesting :). I'll probably add it into wxSmith, but I also have to keep few things on my mind:
  • I need to conform to XRC file standard and since wxMenuToolBar is not supported in virgin XRC, it will be added as alternative to wxMenuBar, not as a replacement
  • Since wxMenuToolBar is not placed inside wxWidgets library, some other library (or few extra source files) will have to be added to project to make it compile (may cause some problems for newbies)
  • Currently I have some limited time to work on wxSmith and there's big list of TODOs left on queue, so there may be some delay (or maybe someone want to help with it - I mean contrib widgets ;) )

So honestly speaking, adding extra contrib items like wxMenuToolBar is just a matter of time, without it, wxSmith won't be good enough to compete, but I can't now even estimate the time when it will be added :(. But keep your fingers crossed :) It should be added in future.

Regards
   BYO

Offline AmR EiSa

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2007, 01:05:44 am »
I don't mean to add it to wxSmith like New Widgets (this will be nice ), but i suggestion to use it in wxSmith visual designer like wxMenuBar

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 02:03:13 am »
I don't mean to add it to wxSmith like New Widgets (this will be nice ), but i suggestion to use it in wxSmith visual designer like wxMenuBar

Oh, I misunderstood  :oops:. I already thought about such solution, maybe not exactly like wxMenuToolBar but it's code will be really helpful. But to add this, I'll have to make some changes to main framework (so it would support menu, toolbar and statusbar) but I delayed it since it will require some more work to be done.

BYO

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 03:24:57 am »
That I am keep talking about already few months. wxSmith needs in custom components. Some sort of scripts, or rules that will add fully functional component to the tool bar. Say somebody will write a specially organized code, click menue install component and we will have installed component or a set of components in the component palette. The same as it was done in Borlands IDE. What that will give!? That will kill all other projects even commercial.
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline AmR EiSa

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2007, 11:14:27 pm »
That I am keep talking about already few months. wxSmith needs in custom components. Some sort of scripts, or rules that will add fully functional component to the tool bar. Say somebody will write a specially organized code, click menue install component and we will have installed component or a set of components in the component palette. The same as it was done in Borlands IDE. What that will give!? That will kill all other projects even commercial.

I hope that , but no Kill for any one ;).

BYO plz think about the way wxGlade work with designer and too ( the way for Drag&Drop Widgets in Rows and Cols)

Regards
    AmR EiSa

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 11:16:31 pm »

Yup, but that's not easy task. Especially when I've got really limited time for working on wxSmith now :(. But it's on the way. I've started working on some basic custom controls with static bitmap provided but haven't had time to finish it.

I have to ask for some forbearance. I've worked really hard last few months to provide the best tool for you I could offer. sometimes it cost me a lot, but that's just the way OpenSource works. And if you wait some more time, there'll be more to offer ;). I keep all your suggestions on my mind (or some TODO lists), sometimes it may look like I've forgot about something, but usually I haen't had time to work on it yet.

So, maybe one thing that could ease our lives. Please fullfill feature requests so I'll have full list of things important for you and you'll get sure that it will be noticed in future :)

BYO plz think about the way wxGlade work with designer and too ( the way for Drag&Drop Widgets in Rows and Cols)

I could thing about it :) Inserting with mouse is alreay on my TODO list, maybe not exactly as in wxGlade, but sometimes much easier to operate than current wxSmith solution.

Regards
   BYO

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 12:17:11 am »
Probably you can offer some TODO list with UML structure and people can be involved more efficiently (fill gaps), rather than they are giving recommendations. Say you may public your idea in ArgoUML and la viola.
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline AmR EiSa

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2007, 12:02:37 pm »
i try to get info about MDI and i got that for linux and anther systems like make, I think by that can help for make wxSmith like VS visual designer, what did u think ?

Regards
AmR EiSa