Author Topic: The 11 March 2007 build is out.  (Read 29705 times)

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
Re: The 11 March 2007 build is out.
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2007, 02:35:29 pm »
Edit: DebugBreakProcess is supported in dbgeng.dll and Kernel32.dll
So I suspect if you view/dump these dll's you won't find the following:
So what? gdb works fine ( as fine as it work on win32).
But you are right- it miss DebugBreakProcess- which was not called from older version.
So: Current debuger plugin is not compatible with win2000
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 02:56:54 pm by nenin »

Offline jomeggs

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2007, 02:46:26 pm »
Any chance you could update to an OS younger than 7 years?

Many developers are restricted to the standard operating systems of their company, W2K is still widly used...
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:03:07 pm by jomeggs »

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2007, 03:19:33 pm »
When MS will produce anything better than Win2K, I will.  It definetely can not be XP.

Well, ok. Self-defeating, but your choice.

Being two OS versions behind general usage is going to bring you more and more grief as programmers/companies find the older OS's not worth their preciously dwindling time.

I too liked w2k alot; I used to have a win2k partition, but it got used for Linux instead. It's just the way of the world.

And as old as I'm getting (old people don't favor change) I, begrudgingly, knew I had to forsake the older OS to support the new.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:23:03 pm by Pecan »

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2007, 03:38:48 pm »
Being two OS versions behind general usage is going to bring you more and more grief as programmers/companies find the older OS's not worth their preciously dwindling time.
  I manage about 15-20 workstations. From DOS 5 up to  Gentoo 2006. WinXp is better than Win95. I`m not sure than it is better than NT4. So, I suppose it rated between 98SE and NT4. Nothing to compare with Lin or Win2K.

And as old as I'm getting (old people don't favor change) I, begrudgingly, knew I had to forsake the older OS to support the new.
However, I put older debuger dll in current svn share folder and it looks like works.  :wink: What it is about?
If gdb does not use this missed call, it is not necessary.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2007, 03:45:02 pm »
However, I put older debuger dll in current svn share folder and it looks like works.  :wink: What it is about?

Good thinking. That'll work until the plugin UI version next changes.

The DebugBreakProcess() and DebugBreak() calls in XP allow breaking a run away program, infinite looping, etc, just like Ctrl-C works in Unix.

CB added it to the debugger Stop button to allow a user to debug a loop,a runaway, or break at will to see a backtrace, variables, etc.

Evidently, it only comes with the XP kernel.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2007, 03:48:20 pm by Pecan »

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2007, 03:51:56 pm »
GDB doesn't in and of itself support pausing a running process without a breakpoint already being set.

If you look in Code::Blocks' debuggergdb.cpp, you'll find the function Stop(), which basically "injects" a breakpoint into the child process being debugged. In Unix-style systems, for which GDB was designed, this is quite simple: send a SIGINT (interrupt signal) to the process. In Windows, to get a proper debuggable break, a breakpoint exception (of the Win32 structured exception handling variety, not the C++ variety) has to be raised. DebugBreakProcess, which is only available since XP, basically does this by creating a new thread remotely in the debuggee process, with an entry point at DbgUiRemoteBreakin in ntdll, which then raises the breakpoint exception.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2007, 03:55:29 pm »
<***>
The DebugBreakProcess() and DebugBreak() calls in XP allow breaking a run away program, infinite looping, etc, just like Ctrl-C works in Unix.
CB added it to the debugger Stop button to allow a user to debug a loop,a runaway, or break at will to see a backtrace, variables, etc.
OK. It is very nice, but I guess it may be implemented separately for WinXP and higher and  just disabled for Win2K and bellow.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2007, 04:09:20 pm »
<***>
OK. It is very nice, but I guess it may be implemented separately for WinXP and higher and  just disabled for Win2K and bellow.

I'm sure mandrav or another core developer will fix this as soon as they can.

Offline nenin

• Almost regular
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2007, 04:28:32 pm »
I'm sure mandrav or another core developer will fix this as soon as they can.
Saying frankly it is a first and single reason for me to try WinXP on my workplace.

Offline orefa

« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2007, 05:05:23 pm »
I also lack any reason to leave good old faithful Win2K, except that I also had to revert to CB_20070308. I have XP on a laptop since it was preloaded. Other than that, following any hardware upgrade, 2K goes right back on my desktop. No activation required either (thanks a lot Vista!) and everything just works.

Now of course, if software support disappears for it then I will have little choice. I won't even have a choice to upgrade to XP since MS is taking it off the shelves. So it will have to be either Vista, uugh, or a move to Mac or Linux. I hope CB will continue to support 2K for as long as possible.

Offline indigo0086

• Almost regular
« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2007, 05:48:58 pm »
How do I invoke parameter hints?  You know how you press ctrl+space to get autocomplete hints, how do I do that for when I have the right function and need hints on the parameters?

Offline 354

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #26 on: March 13, 2007, 12:44:53 am »
How do I invoke parameter hints?  You know how you press ctrl+space to get autocomplete hints, how do I do that for when I have the right function and need hints on the parameters?

Ctrl+Shift+Space

You can also find it on the bottom of the 'Edit' menu.

Offline Jewe

• Fit Trainer
« Reply #27 on: March 13, 2007, 08:13:03 am »

any chance you upgrading my machine? quad core would be nice.  :D
« Last Edit: March 13, 2007, 07:58:27 pm by Jewe »
Anything curved in the hardware can be straighten with software :D
Compiler: mingw IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly WX: 2.8.0

bereng

« Reply #28 on: March 13, 2007, 10:22:44 pm »
Hi,

just a couple of things I noticed:

- If you have black as your background colour and white as foreground, the cursor becomes invisible. In fact it is blinking from black to black, instead of white to black. Very annoying...

- Been reading about it but not clear yet if supossed to be fixed by now: 'this->' does not work when your class definition is inside a namespace.

Thanks.

Offline xee

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2007, 11:10:37 pm »
I've sent a bug and a suggestion here and here, there were no replies so I was afraid you may have overlooked them so I'm just reminding you.
sorry if you've already read them.

Thanks.