Author Topic: missing features?  (Read 3302 times)

Offline theultramage

• Multiple posting newcomer
missing features?
« on: February 19, 2007, 10:00:43 pm »
I've been trying out CodeBlocks as a potential replacement for one well-known bloated windows IDE, but I found that it seems to lack several things
  • include files crawling
    - 'find declaration' and 'find implementation' only seem to work in project's files, not included vendor files
    - seems to work for code completion, tho'
  • tighter gdb integration
    - I've seen Eclipse display values of variables when hovering over them
Are these features present and I just missed them somehow? Or are they not present? If so then are they planned to be implemented?

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: missing features?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 10:11:54 pm »
- I've seen Eclipse display values of variables when hovering over them
Settings->Compiler and debugger->Debugger settings->Evaluate expression under cursor
(Note: You haven't stated which version of C::B you're using, so I assume you're using a Nightly Build.)

Are these features present and I just missed them somehow? Or are they not present? If so then are they planned to be implemented?
The best way to ensure that a feature is planned is to file a feature request.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline dje

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 10:27:26 pm »
Hi !

'find declaration' and 'find implementation' only seem to work in project's files, not included vendor files
You can set include dirs in the compiler settings, either in "Settings/Compiler and debugger" or in the project Build options (Search directories/compiler)
Normally, if you can compile your file, you can use the 'Find declaration'.
It's true that the 'Find implementation' works only if function/method is implemented in the workspace (not the project).

Dje

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2007, 10:05:20 am »
Variable contents are shown in tool tips, if you use a recent version of Code::Blocks.

The "find declaration" feature should work with any files included in a recent version of Code::Blocks, too (although I have code completion disabled, so I cannot really tell 100% sure).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline theultramage

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 08:41:49 pm »
Mmm, CodeBlocks indeed does as you described, I was just looking elsewhere. Thank you for the info. :)

CB indeed crawls and indexes include files, but only gathers function headers. I was trying to find a class declaration.
(so, what about classes?)