Author Topic: Another good C/C++ IDE - wxDev-C++  (Read 8984 times)

bud

Another good C/C++ IDE - wxDev-C++
« on: January 28, 2007, 07:25:18 am »
wxDev-C++
http://wxdsgn.sourceforge.net/
wxDev-C++ is an extension of Dev-C++ by Colin Laplace et. al.

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
Re: Another good C/C++ IDE - wxDev-C++
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2007, 07:35:43 am »
Yes, this is good IDE but in doesn't work under Linux!!! I use this IDE only for GUI development. It doesn't have folding. So you can't organize you code in proper way.
gcc+winXP+suse.

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2007, 09:48:37 am »
wxDevC++ is a Good IDE.

But it has few drawbacks.
  • It is available only in Windows.
  • It supports GCC and MSVC 2005.
  • It doesn't support multiple targets (AFAIK, please correct me if I'm wrong)
  • The Form Designer has one peculiar problem. The design area is non-scrollable, i.e. if you increase the form size in design mode beyond it's limit there's no scroll-bar to help you.
  • Code-completion is buggy. The IDE crashes very often due to this.
  • Not much flexible. It allows you to use external makefiles; but not flexible with wxWidgets configurations. Whereas in C::B you get more flexibility (in terms of compilers, platforms, external makefiles, almost any wxWidgets configuration) to control the project.

It has some advantages, too.
  • Great for beginners. Comes with compiled wx libs (so no headache of compiling wx for beginners). Easiest to start coding with wxWidgets.
  • Integrated form designer is quite helpful for beginners.

IMHO, wxDevC++ is very good IDE for beginners who want to learn wxWidgets. Once the user is bit familiar with wx, they will find C::B to be far more useful.  :D
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

manutd

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2007, 03:13:01 pm »
Ick. After coding for >30 minutes, it randomly spews stack overflow errors and crashes your system. Terrible.

Offline Grom

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2007, 06:22:19 am »
On my compute wxDevC++ engine do not crash... It works pretty stable. But in has limitations. As code blocks as well. Hope that wxSmith soon will be good enough. The main problem of wxDevC++ is that we can't add custom component without Borland Delphi. Hope Byo will add that functionality soon. In That case wxSmith will have a lot of components, contributed by community. The same story was happond for Delphi 10 years ago, when they presented customizable component palette.
gcc+winXP+suse.

manianis

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2007, 09:20:55 am »
wxDev-C++ is much buggier than Code::Blocks

Offline FlyingIsFun1217

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2007, 12:51:44 am »
In my experience, wxDev-C++ is a GREAT way to get started with wxWidgets programming, but when proficient enough, Code::Blocks seems like a sure-fire hit. It's just much cleaner, even the nightlies...

FlyingIsFun1217 :)

manianis

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2007, 09:21:50 pm »
Yes indeed I used Dev-C++ in the past when I were making little programs

Vexorian

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2007, 12:29:08 am »
Kudos for form designer.

The rest sounds terrible though. I prefer code::blocks over dev-cpp for coding though, so even with a form designer I would find it hard to do so, and it is not like I actually do much GUI programming in C++, if I did I would take this project much more seriously once it is more stable.