User forums > General (but related to Code::Blocks)

pro's and pre's of compilers

(1/7) > >>

David Perfors:
I was wondering which compiler is the best. I know that every one has its own taste for that, but what I want to know is: "what are the pro's and pre's for a compiler?"

Vampyre_Dark:
On windows? For Free, or commercial?

For free I'd say the VC++ Toolkit. We live in VC++ world, and everything is made to work with it. It was a pain back when I couldn't run VC++ and had to stick to MinGW.

Urxae:
Of course, if you might ever want to run you programs on anything but windows, you might want to use MinGW. It's the Windows version of GCC, which is pretty much the standard compiler on other major (though not as major as Windows, except maybe on servers) platforms: Linux, *BSD and I think also Mac OS X, but I'm not sure about the last one.

Using the same compiler on each platform should make porting stuff a lot easier, though of course you also need to keep in mind other considerations.

Anyway, stuff I like a compiler to have:
[*]Free (as in price) as I'm a poor student :).
[*]Multi-platform as I'm thinking about switching from Win2K to Ubuntu for my machine.
[*]Standard compliance (for instance, VC++ 6 is particularly bad about this I've heard, though VC++ 7(.1) is much better, and I presume the free toolkit also. GCC/MinGW is also pretty compliant, though not many compilers can claim full compliance until anyone but Comeau implements the export keyword)[/list:u]

Can you tell I like MinGW?  :wink:

Vampyre_Dark:
Why do people assume that code written for VC++ can't be ported? It's the libraries, and syntax you use that counts.

I used DevC++ and MingW for years, and I loved it. But the problem with coding windows stuff, is that nothing is designed to work with it, it's all in VC++ format, and you have to port it over, or rely on someone else porting it over, such as DirectX. Trying to use it under MingW is a nightmare. Even the ports don't work correctly.

If you're going to compile something under *nix, you will be booting up into the os, and running the native gcc anyways.

David Perfors:

--- Quote from: fvbommel ---Can you tell I like MinGW?  :wink:
--- End quote ---
You like MinGW :P

I am working on Windows righ now, and using MinGW, I like it a lot, but what about compile time, and size of compiled code? What about debug possibilities, and so on..

An what Vampyre_Dark says is true. You can make Multi platform apps with MS compiler/borland compiler, it is the way you are programming it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version