Author Topic: wxWidgets 2.8.0 compatibility  (Read 6049 times)

mrpringle

wxWidgets 2.8.0 compatibility
« on: January 01, 2007, 02:07:45 am »
Hi,
I'm just wondering when CB will support the new wxWidgets 2.8.0. I'm not particularly experienced with CB or wxw, so until CB supports the new version I will keep using the old wxw.

Thanks

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
Re: wxWidgets 2.8.0 compatibility
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2007, 03:20:29 am »
That depends on what you mean precisely by "support". It can compile programs designed for wxWidgets 2.8.0, and could from the day wxWidgets 2.8.0 was released. Code::Blocks itself is not yet meant to be built with wxWidgets 2.8.0, but that doesn't affect your experience as the end user in the slightest. The current wxWidgets wizard within Code::Blocks won't create wxWidgets 2.8.0 projects, but the projects it creates can be converted to wxWidgets 2.8.0 with a couple of simple changes in the Build options.

-TDragon
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

mrpringle

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2007, 04:03:32 am »
ok thanks. How can I change the build options so I can compile wx 2.8.0 projects? Are there any instructions around for that?

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2007, 11:44:53 am »
If you don't want to change Build Settings manually, then you can try modified wxWidgets wizard. It is not official yet and undergoing testing. But works perfectly with GCC, BCC and MSVC 8. Download the wizard (Rev2.1) from the following post.

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=4768.msg37752#msg37752

If you want to know more on how to use the files, please read the following post.

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=4768.msg37429#msg37429

You can post your feedback there. By the way which compiler and wx lib configuration are you using?  :)
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

mrpringle

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2007, 10:21:14 pm »
using an up to date mingw version.
My config is monolothic and unicode, think that's all.

Also is there a way I can config codeblocks so that instead of having to distribute a dll with the program, the dependencies are embedded in the executable?

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2007, 11:55:31 pm »

Also is there a way I can config codeblocks so that instead of having to distribute a dll with the program, the dependencies are embedded in the executable?

Here's how I build my wxWidgets I put the following in a batch file and run it.
Code
CD build\msw
SET PATH=C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW\mingw32\bin
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc USE_XRC=1 SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 BUILD=release   UNICODE=1 clean
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc USE_XRC=1 SHARED=1 MONOLITHIC=1 BUILD=release   UNICODE=1
PAUSE

To do what you want I would suggest the below way to build a static multilib version of wxWidgets
Code
CD build\msw
SET PATH=C:\MinGW\bin;C:\MinGW\mingw32\bin
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc USE_XRC=1 SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=0 BUILD=release   UNICODE=1 clean
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc USE_XRC=1 SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=0 BUILD=release   UNICODE=1
PAUSE

Note: I am not sure how to use the above in Code::Blocks, but I think the wizard mentioned above does it automatically.

Tim S
« Last Edit: January 01, 2007, 11:57:41 pm by stahta01 »
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline Biplab

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Biplab's Blog
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2007, 06:03:37 am »

If you want to embed all dependencies within your application, then use static build of wxWidgets. To compile wxWidgets in static, Monolithic, Unicode mode, use the following command.
Code
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc USE_XRC=1 SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=1 BUILD=release UNICODE=1 clean
mingw32-make -f makefile.gcc USE_XRC=1 SHARED=0 MONOLITHIC=1 BUILD=release UNICODE=1

Note: I am not sure how to use the above in Code::Blocks, but I think the wizard mentioned above does it automatically.

The wizard won't be helpful if you want to compile wxWidgets. But if you want to write an application with wxWidgets, the wizard will be very helpful. It accepts any build of wxWidgets and the only thing you need to do is to select appropriate options.
Be a part of the solution, not a part of the problem.

mrpringle

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2007, 12:21:03 pm »
ok thanks. I downloaded the wizard patch and got the new wxwidgets build working.