Author Topic: some questions  (Read 4341 times)

ironic

some questions
« on: October 18, 2006, 08:36:45 am »
Hi there

got some questions about code::blocks.

1) Why isn't it registered in gentoo's portage (even theres no "stable" 1.0 release, you could add it masked)
2) Why is the amd64 version of ubuntu not available (even its marked in the svn download section, but berlios only got i386)

3) Technical issues: On my gentoo amd64 machine, codeblocks suddenly quits, without bugbuddy starting. It happens often when I load a file from the left project window. There is no log generated. Any ideas?

Thx for your help!

Greets
ironic

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: some questions
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2006, 09:04:40 am »
1) Why isn't it registered in gentoo's portage (even theres no "stable" 1.0 release, you could add it masked)

I have no clue about gentoo. Can you give us more info?

2) Why is the amd64 version of ubuntu not available (even its marked in the svn download section, but berlios only got i386)

Because no one built it lately? :P

3) Technical issues: On my gentoo amd64 machine, codeblocks suddenly quits, without bugbuddy starting. It happens often when I load a file from the left project window. There is no log generated. Any ideas?

Unfortunately no, not with this (non) info...
Can you try running it from the command-line? Or even better through gdb?
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2006, 09:45:47 am »
As far as I know there is an ebuild in gentoo's bug tracker. I don't know why this isn't part of the portage tree yet, you probably have to ask the portage maintainer about that. Also I don't know who is the maintainer of this ebuild and whether he keeps it still up-to-date or not.

Anyway, if you find the ebuild you can create your own portage overlay with it and then simply "emerge" Code::Blocks.
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

ironic

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2006, 10:01:27 am »

I have no clue about gentoo. Can you give us more info?

Because no one built it lately? :P

Unfortunately no, not with this (non) info...
Can you try running it from the command-line? Or even better through gdb?

1)The Portage is gentoo's package manager. You can search, fetch and build packages like debians dpkg/apt. Admins/Developers are able to add builds every day (night builds) to portage.

2) So why is it written in http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Compiled_packages_of_Code::Blocks? (section SVN)

3)gdb showed me:

(gdb) run codeblocks
Starting program: /usr/local/bin/codeblocks codeblocks
[Thread debugging using libthread_db enabled]
[New Thread 47055301484416 (LWP 26228)]
[New Thread 1082132800 (LWP 26247)]
[New Thread 1090525504 (LWP 26248)]
[New Thread 1098918208 (LWP 26249)]
[New Thread 1107310912 (LWP 26250)]
[New Thread 1115703616 (LWP 26252)]
[New Thread 1124096320 (LWP 26254)]
[New Thread 1132489024 (LWP 26257)]
[Thread 1132489024 (zombie) exited]
Segmentation fault
ironic@bin # codeblocks: cairo-ft-font.c:683: _cairo_ft_unscaled_font_set_scale: Assertion `error == 0' failed.

Sorry, no backtrace available. Note: The project file was created by windows codeblocks RC2.

EDIT:
@ Meister:
Anyway, if you find the ebuild you can create your own portage overlay with it and then simply "emerge" Code::Blocks.

i know i know, thats what ebuilds are good for. but if you manually download codeblocks ebuild you
1) dont know if its the newest ebuild
2) you have to fetch, digest, make and install yourself (annoying if you use the nightly builds every day)
3) no dependencies are calculated

it would be GREAT if codeblocks would be added to the official portage tree. Then, you can simply emerge --sync && emerge portage && emerge codeblocks (or smthing else) and codeblocks is built.

« Last Edit: October 18, 2006, 10:11:04 am by ironic »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2006, 10:10:09 am »
Segmentation fault
ironic@bin # codeblocks: cairo-ft-font.c:683: _cairo_ft_unscaled_font_set_scale: Assertion `error == 0' failed.

Try to build the latest SVN version. It contains a fix for this.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

ironic

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2006, 10:20:40 am »
thx mandrav, that did the trick  :D

btw. adding codeblocks to gentoo's portage would be a great propaganda :p