Author Topic: Search next behavior  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Vorl

• Multiple posting newcomer
Search next behavior
« on: October 16, 2006, 06:51:38 pm »
Hi,

First congratulations for this great work. I'm currently switching all my projects from eclipse to code::block  :) !

Just one suggestion (in case you have nothing to do :D):
A usefull option would be to be able to make a "search next" (or search previous) command on a selected text directly, without going throught the "find" dialog. So that we just hit F3 instead of Ctrl + F + Return + F3 (well, yes I'm a little lazy). It's perhaps already possible but I havent found how to do that. But I have remarked that there was just the place for such an option in the "general editor settings", under the "Auto-wrap search ..." checkbox, which is a little alone isnt it ? ;-)

All the best!

Vorl

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Search next behavior
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 08:08:27 pm »
we once had that, but we replaced it, because too many people found it problematic. When one was searching, and doing next, next, and the moment you got something selected in between, your next would be on the new selection and not the continuation of your search. And this latter is what people expect, and most editors do.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 08:11:07 pm »
A usefull option would be to be able to make a "search next" (or search previous) command on a selected text directly, without going throught the "find" dialog. So that we just hit F3 instead of Ctrl + F + Return + F3 (well, yes I'm a little lazy).

What version and system are you using. My f3 and shift-f3 work as you requested.

System:XP CB:release svn3087.

It also works fine in the nightly builds.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2006, 08:27:45 pm by Pecan »

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 08:50:01 pm »
if you build CB from svn you can use this patch

brgds, tiwag

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Vorl

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 09:39:08 pm »
Thanks all for your answers !

To Killerbot: I fully understand that this may not be what some users expect as behavior but perhaps could we have an option in the general editor settings that would activate this mode ?

To Pecan: I was using Nightly Build 3002 (1st oct) under XP but I have just tested with today NB and it does not work as I described (but the list of improvement in just 15 days is impressive).

To Tiwag: Many thanks! that's exactly what I needed.

Vorl