Author Topic: My Issues with C::B coming from Eclipse CDT  (Read 8453 times)

Offline oZZ

• Multiple posting newcomer
My Issues with C::B coming from Eclipse CDT
« on: October 05, 2006, 11:22:26 pm »
I decided to search for another IDE since Eclipse CDT is horribly slow and has no (functional) code completion in C++ (although it's decent in Java).

C::B is *BY FAR* the most mature IDE that supports gcc on Windows, however there's a couple of problems/issues that I have with it that's hampering me, and possibly others from adopting it.  Perhaps these features exist and I just haven't found them yet?

I'm making my decision today about whether I'll stick with C::B or go back to Eclipse.  I really want to use C::B over Eclipse becuase its interface is much more responsive and code completion is pretty necessary.

1. When my application crashes in the debugger, the stack tracer ends at the function call to the function that's causing the crash, *NOT* the actual line of code that's causing a crash.  This can be observed by calling delete on an object twice in a destructor.  The line that deletes the parent object is the final call listed in the stack trace.  Eclipse will highlight the 2nd delete call as the line causing the crash.

2. Debugger doesn't work with custom make files.  Apparently some changes have been made recently that's causing this, and this may or may not be fixed in the future, but I am listing it here because it is an issue for me.

3. No "outline" view that shows all the current (edit)source file's methods and variables. In Eclipse when you open a source file you can view its "outline."  This is just a list of the methods in the source file.  You can click on any of the methods to bring you to the first line in it's definition.  This saves *A LOT* of time.

4. Key bindings are set in stone.  This may or may not be the case, but I can't find how to change key bindings.

5. Find doesn't save last search term or give a "find next" option.  Replace is equally feature lacking.  The find/replace functionality in Eclipse is basically flawless and would serve as a good model for all IDEs.

edit: I don't mean the "search" function.  Searching the whole project is amazing in C::B and sucks in Eclipse.

6. Symbols view doesn't sort anything or allow "nice" searching.  I have 3600 classes in my project and nothing's sorted =(.  Also an inline search function (line that in OS X or Firefox) with a radio box for "Class" "Method" "Variable" that would quickly filter the symbols view would make editing much more efficient.

Those are the majors issues that are holding me back from adopting C::B.  This doesn't mean C::B is bad, the code completion is very very nice.  Compiler support is excellent, and the syntax highlighting is top notch.  C::B right now is choice 1 or 2 with eclipse CDT.  I have tried devC++ and used visual studio and metrowerks for years, and prefer C::B to them.

Some of these features could exist already and I just haven't found them.  If that's the case, please correct me.

Thanks a lot for your time.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:34:51 pm by oZZ »

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: My Issues with C::B coming from Eclipse CDT
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2006, 11:30:32 pm »
3. No "outline" view that shows all the current class' methods and variables. In Eclipse when you open a source file you can view its "outline."  This is just a list of the methods in the source file.  You can click on any of the methods to bring you to the first line in it's definition.  This saves *A LOT* of time.

CodeCompletion toolbar gives list of methods, and selecting one of them takes you to the first line of it.

Ands the symbol browser does the same but much more, try it out.

Offline oZZ

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2006, 11:34:24 pm »
Symbol browser is unusable for me with 3600 classes and no sorting =(.

For the point you quoted I mean an outline of the source file, not necessarily the class.  I realize the ambiguity and poor word choice on my part, I'll edit that now.

Offline oZZ

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2006, 11:44:21 pm »
Strange.. I turned off inheretence checking in the symbol browser and when it reparsed, it sorted the symbols (manual reparsing didn't before).

I assume this is some sort of a bug or a freak occurance :)

edit: In that case, I'd like to see the "Symbols" and "Projects" headings viewable at the same time, perhaps two movable management panels?  I know that's probably minor for the devs, but it's a suggestion nonetheless ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2006, 11:46:31 pm by oZZ »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2006, 11:51:18 pm »
1. When my application crashes in the debugger, the stack tracer ends at the function call to the function that's causing the crash, *NOT* the actual line of code that's causing a crash.

C::B "follows" gdb's output. If gdb stops backtracing there, that's where C::B stops too...

2. Debugger doesn't work with custom make files.

True, support for Makefile-based projects has faded lately. We 'll pick it up though, rather soon (time permitting).

3. No "outline" view that shows all the current class' methods and variables. In Eclipse when you open a source file you can view its "outline."  This is just a list of the methods in the source file.  You can click on any of the methods to bring you to the first line in it's definition.  This saves *A LOT* of time.

In case you haven't seen it, follow killerbot's suggestion: "View->Toolbars->Code completion". Yes, it's not pretty descriptive of what it actually is (it uses the plugin name).
Alternatively if you don't want just another toolbar visible, try "View->Go to function" (Ctrl-Alt-G).

4. Key bindings are set in stone.  This may or may not be the case, but I can't find how to change key bindings.

"Settings->Environment->Keyboard shortcuts" ?

6. Symbols view doesn't sort anything or allow "nice" searching.

The symbols browser has been re-designed lately and is a work-in-progress. Meaning we still have things to do with it, including your suggestions. Please bear with us...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2006, 11:52:24 pm »
edit: In that case, I'd like to see the "Symbols" and "Projects" headings viewable at the same time, perhaps two movable management panels?  I know that's probably minor for the devs, but it's a suggestion nonetheless

"Settings->Editor->Code completion and symbols browser->Parser & symbols browser->As free floating window".
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline oZZ

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2006, 11:57:02 pm »
1. Eclipse w/gdb does behaves differently.  Try it out.

3. I don't have that option... read more.

4. not there

5. cool ;)

I think I'm missing quite a few options here for some reason, I don't have the code completion toolbar or the keyboard shortcut settings.  I think I'm using a bad build =( Trying a different one now, I think I'm an idiot ;)

Offline oZZ

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 12:08:59 am »
Wow I'm a moron.  I was using an old version, I swear I thought I downloaded the latest.  Please shoot me :(

nfz

« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 01:54:25 am »
Bang!

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2006, 07:45:51 am »
About 2/3's of these "this is what I think is wrong with C::B" posts are people using RC2, I thought it would stop after the update to the download page...

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2006, 03:07:59 pm »
About 2/3's of these "this is what I think is wrong with C::B" posts are people using RC2, I thought it would stop after the update to the download page...

Most of it appears to have stopped. I haven't seen a "please use the nightly..." in many weeks.

sethjackson

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2006, 05:38:31 pm »

Most of it appears to have stopped. I haven't seen a "please use the nightly..." in many weeks.

Yeah it seems to have mostly stopped. It is better than what it was before. :)