Author Topic: Ideas About UML  (Read 12541 times)

Angel Portal

Ideas About UML
« on: September 26, 2006, 08:58:09 pm »
As it has been on development an plugin of UML..
I was thinking that is a good place to open a
channel for IDEAS and Discution about the subject.

Starting.

Here there is a place that has a good UML design software
could be a good quideline.

http://www.visual-paradigm.com/

Angel Portal
P.S. Please let me know if you think this is good idea or no.

Offline MortenMacFly

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Ideas About UML
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2006, 09:54:55 pm »
P.S. Please let me know if you think this is good idea or no.
I don't get your poll. What do I have to choose?! Isn't "UML" a "Design tool"? ;-)
Compiler logging: Settings->Compiler & Debugger->tab "Other"->Compiler logging="Full command line"
C::B Manual: https://www.codeblocks.org/docs/main_codeblocks_en.html
C::B FAQ: https://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=FAQ

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2006, 01:45:33 am »
starting at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UML_tools

I would guess that UML Pad is a good thing to look at before coding.

http://web.tiscali.it/ggbhome/umlpad/umlpad.htm

PS: I spent less than 5 minutes looking so might have missed a better match.

Tim S
C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

SmileyMan

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2006, 06:33:30 pm »
The problem with a lot of CASE tools is that they often force a particular initialisation paradigm on you.  Few are customizable, and even fewer use the STL as much as they should.

A good first step would be a utility to create UML diagrams, and perhaps track the code (ie double-click a method in the diagram to go to the relevant line in the relevant file, and highlighting on unimplemented methods/classes)

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2006, 03:16:01 am »
Has anyone tried to compile UML Pad yet?  I am attempting it, but currently I am getting mixed results.  The source code is not shipped with a makefile.  I am using mingw 3.4.5 on windows.

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2006, 03:26:49 am »
I got it to compile fine, and it sort of runs.  I can add a new class in the pad, but if I try to edit the new class I get an unhandled exception.  Anyone try this program out?  I had the same problem with the precompiled version.

jmccay

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2006, 04:03:53 am »
I am trying UML Pad right now.

I have created a new class and do not have it Crash.

What are you editing on the Class, I have changed its name with no problem.

Tim S
« Last Edit: October 02, 2006, 04:11:42 am by stahta01 »
--

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2006, 04:15:10 am »
I have been running this in debug mode.  I figured what happened.  This is how I got it to crash.

Opened UMLPad.
Click on the class icon (green).
I added a class to the current pad.
I doubled clicked on the class, and it crashed.

The problem is that there is nothing in the Diagrams tree.  This is where the problem occurs.  I never actually added a new class diagram.  I just started building one.  The problem line is:

(wxUmlClassDlg.cpp line 77 {or 76  I have edited this file})
   readOnly= dynamic_cast<umlMainWindow*>(GetParent())->GetCurrDiag()->IsReadOnly();

Since there is no item in the tree, GetCurrDiag, or GetParent, returns NULL.  I am too tired to remember which one.  If you do a File->New->Class Diagram and actually add something, then you don't get a crash.  If you don't do that, then it crashes because the NULL pointer is not handled properly.  Also it points out a possible design flaw.  I thought it automatically had 1 class diagram.

jmccay

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2006, 04:38:30 am »
I think the initial state of UML Pad is flawed.  On further testing, you need to save the class diagram (that is there when it initially starts) before you can edit the class information.  This is odd behavior.  I think that if you can edit from the start there should be an item in the tree.  Otherwise the toolbar should be disabled until something is added.

jmccay

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2006, 05:46:55 am »
Yea, that explains the UML Pad, I always openned up the example Class and then Added a new class to it.

I stopped looking at the program when I decided that adding UNICODE to it was beyond my experience level at this time. Also, I did not wish to use it enough to spend the time learning the code.

Tim S
--

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2006, 02:47:54 am »
What's the poll supposed to be about?  I don't completely understand what's being asked.
jmccay

Angel Portal

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2006, 04:21:23 pm »
I am trying the UML Pad , so far it is working fine.
But I do not tried the source.

Angel Portal

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2006, 02:36:03 am »
UML Pad is fine, and I think it is a great starting point.  It needs to be upgraded to work with Unicode though.

UML Pad works fine unless you try what I suggested.  There is a design flaw in the code.  Nothing is added to the file/diagram tree under class diagrams for the default pad that is opened.  This causes it to crash every time.

1. Open up UML Pad without any files, or projects.

2. Click on the green class icon.

3. Click in the pad area.  This will create a new class.

4. Now, wihout saving new diagram, double click on the new class to edit it.  This should cause it to the program to crash.  In the code, there is an attempt to call a function on what ends up being a NULL pointer because there is no corresponding node is the access tree on the left that represents the diagram.

I like the program, and is probably the best choice for integration if we want to do it.
jmccay
« Last Edit: October 04, 2006, 03:27:09 am by jmccay »

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 11:41:00 pm »
I recently checked out UML Pad again.  The bug is fix.  Also, two important features that are helpful to getting this to work with C::B as a pluggin.  One, it appears to be using wxWidgets, and two, it uses xml to store the class information (via TinyXML).
jmccay