Author Topic: Constant Random Crashing  (Read 28427 times)

kip

Constant Random Crashing
« on: August 27, 2006, 10:01:22 pm »
Hey guys,

I am using the latest svn revision 2914 and I am still getting regular random crashes. When I run from console, I catch its output before aborting...

codeblocks: /build/buildd/libcairo-1.2.2/src/cairo-ft-font.c:681: _cairo_ft_unscaled_font_set_scale: Assertion `error == 0' failed.
Aborted

I was using the latest version of libcairo2 (1.2.2) out of Ubuntu's Edgy and still to no avail.

It is very difficult to get any work done with gedit. Any help would be appreciated.

Kip

Offline Phatency

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Constant Random Crashing
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 11:41:25 pm »
Reproducion steps provided by Encryptor in thread http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3911.msg30877#msg30877

6Symbols browser - the most annoying thing in C::B.
 A
    It wasn't wide enough and I tried to resize it. C::B crashed.
    This is the output from C::B:

Steps to reproduce
     1. Open C::B
     2. Go to File-> New -> Project
     3. Choose Console Application
     4. Complete the Wizard
     5. In the Management window, double click on Sources->main.cpp
     6. Click once in the editor window
     7. Grab the separator that splits the editor from the symbols browser. Drag 5 cm left. Sometimes it crashes after the first drag and drop. If it didnt crash, drag the separator left one more time. It will crash with the above error message printed in the console.
     If there is no project opened, moving the separator did not crash Code Blocks. Most of the times, you dont even have to open main.cpp and click in the window. Just create a   new Console project and try to resize the Symbols browser. I always get the same error.
     I even got this error when double-clicking on main.cpp, but I couldn't reproduce it.
     On a different occasion, while editing the text and then resizing the Symbold Browser, I got this error:

Code
(codeblocks:4439): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_queue_push_head_link: assertion `link->next == NULL' failed
     codeblocks: cairo-ft-font.c:678: _cairo_ft_unscaled_font_set_scale: Assertion `error == 0' failed.
     Aborted
     However, I couldn't reproduce this either.

kip

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 11:52:36 pm »
It is annoying the hell out of me. What is really scary is that so many people have pointed this out on the forum and the usual response is that it is a problem with libcairo and that it was fixed an eon ago. Everyone is using whatever version of libcairo is most readily available to them through their package manager (I am on Linux). Only Edgy repository for Ubuntu has the latest libcairo and even that one did nothing any different.

Kip

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2006, 12:10:18 am »
It is annoying the hell out of me. What is really scary is that so many people have pointed this out on the forum and the usual response is that it is a problem with libcairo and that it was fixed an eon ago.

No one said that. As a matter of fact, I don't have any of these problems in either Ubuntu 5.10 (32bit) or Ubuntu 6.06 (64bit). And no, I haven't touched libcairo: whatever comes with the distro.

Some people report having this problem, others don't have it at all. Although it's not a C::B problem per-se, we 'd love to fix it but it's darn hard to even try since we can't reproduce it. At least no one in the team can, to my knowledge...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

kip

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2006, 12:27:57 am »
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3364.msg27925#msg27925

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3738.msg29472#msg29472

I have compiled with --enable-contrib and running a backtrace from gdb after it crashes with the aforementioned failed assert...

#0  0xffffe410 in __kernel_vsyscall ()
#1  0xb73219a1 in raise () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#2  0xb73232b9 in abort () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#3  0xb731af51 in __assert_fail () from /lib/tls/i686/cmov/libc.so.6
#4  0xb6e9fa05 in cairo_pattern_get_extend () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#5  0xb6ea12ce in cairo_ft_scaled_font_lock_face () from /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2
#6  0xb6f61260 in pango_cairo_fc_font_get_type ()
   from /usr/lib/libpangocairo-1.0.so.0
#7  0xb6c003cc in pango_fc_font_lock_face () from /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0
#8  0xb6c0578b in pango_ot_buffer_output () from /usr/lib/libpangoft2-1.0.so.0
#9  0xb6a760fb in ?? () from /usr/lib/pango/1.5.0/modules/pango-basic-fc.so
#10 0x08a81510 in ?? ()
#11 0x08b6d190 in ?? ()
#12 0x00000000 in ?? ()

Kip

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 12:38:49 am »
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3364.msg27925#msg27925

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3738.msg29472#msg29472

Kip, like I said, I can't reproduce this problem. And everything I say about it, is what I hear from other people in this forum. If someone comes and says he upgraded libcairo and the problem is gone, I can only suggest a libcairo update to other people.
Repeat: I can't reproduce this, at all.
Be patient!

kip

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 02:18:18 am »
Fair enough.

Are there any other additional debugging details I can give you? I rarely run gdb directly from command line, but I am sure I can work something out.

Kip

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2006, 08:34:02 am »
Fair enough.

Are there any other additional debugging details I can give you? I rarely run gdb directly from command line, but I am sure I can work something out.

Kip

Is that the full backtrace up there?
Also, what graphics driver are you using? An ATI maybe? Can you start X using the framebuffer driver and see if this persists?
Be patient!

kip

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2006, 01:02:25 am »
I just entered "bt" in GDB and that is the backtrace it spat out after C::B terminated. Is there a better way to get more detail?

I am using the fglrx ATI graphics driver in Ubuntu's package repository. How can I start X with the frame buffer device?

Kip

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2006, 05:22:44 pm »
I just entered "bt" in GDB and that is the backtrace it spat out after C::B terminated. Is there a better way to get more detail?

No, "bt" alone displays the full backtrace. Let me look into this, although it's hard because I can't make it happen...
Be patient!

kip

« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2006, 09:01:29 pm »
Sounds good.

Kip

kip

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 07:59:27 pm »
Hey Mandrav,

I've done a lot of additional debugging and I have been working with the libcairo people. It is reproduceable and it has not been fixed in the latest version (1.2.4 at time of writing). I've narrowed it down to the line where the assert fails, the routine that failed previously, and the font that is probably causing the problem. More details here:

https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8104

Until we find a work around or a fix, Code::Blocks will remain unusable.

--
Kip

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2006, 08:19:00 pm »
Interesting, thanks for the help.
Be patient!

kip

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2006, 08:30:07 pm »
My pleasure, my friend. Is there any other info you need?

Kip

Offline kai

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2006, 02:19:41 pm »

i don't have any problems on one machine running dapper and constant crashing on my new laptop. the most obvious difference is that the laptop is a dual core machine. what about the others here who have problems or don't have problems?