Author Topic: The 26 august 2006 build is out.  (Read 14109 times)

Offline killerbot

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
The 26 august 2006 build is out.
« on: August 26, 2006, 06:50:30 pm »
Get quick announcements through the RSS feed http://www.codeblocks.org/nightly/CodeBlock_RSS.xml

A link to the unicode windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26u_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

For those who might need this one (when no MingW installed on your system) : the mingw10m.dll : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/mingwm10.7z

For support of ansi builds, a link to the ansi windows wxWidget dll for Code::Blocks : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/wxmsw26_gcc_cb_wx2.6.3p2.7z

The 26 August 2006 build is out.
  - Windows : http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060826_rev2910_win32.7z
  - Linux :
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060826_rev2910_Ubuntu6.06.deb
         http://prdownload.berlios.de/codeblocks/CB_20060826_rev2910_fc4+5.rpm

Resolved Fixed:

• When editing a virtual target's name, check if the name hasn't been changed and avoid warning that there's another virtual target with the same name
  • Fixed compilation error in src/plugins/codecompletion/nativeparser.cpp with gcc 3.3 (patch #1391)
  • Correctly import MSVC* projects under linux (patch #1393)
  • Various compatibility patches for wxMAC:
      InfoWindow support (patch #1376).
      Increase default font size (patch #1394).
      Discover resources, depending if app is bundled or not (patch #1399)
  • Make all vars in update.bat local (patch #1353)
  • Added support for D language in build dependencies discovery library, depslib (patch #1367)
  • Force refresh of the disassembly window when starting a new GDB session
  • Implemented "save to file" for the disassembly window
  • Code-completion calltips now break up in multiple lines, if they 're too long

Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs:

• toolbar-images-not-changing-state (is a wx problem/Win XP problem)
  • there are several issues with Code Completion (is being redesigned : work in progress)
  • menu items with icon not correctly aligned (since wx263)

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 09:16:52 am by killerbot »

Offline orel

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: The 26 august 2006 build is out.
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2006, 12:29:35 am »
Hello, i'm having a little bug in the last versions of CB (nightly win32, 26.08.06 & 25.08.06 too). CB shutdowns without error code when i click 'remove file for current project'.

To my opinion, it seems to happen if and only if when thos 3 conditions are present,:
 _ file is in a virtual dir,
 _ file is the first of the list in the virtual dir,
 _ the virtual dir contains a quite 'large' number of files (here it's 30)

Hope it helps...
I was expecting virtual directories to appear in Code::Blocks, they're so useful.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 12:36:53 am by orel »
windows XP SP2
mingw gcc 3.4.5
svn Code::Blocks and M$ Visual Studio 2005 and .NET to eat!! SVNInside plugin :http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,7063.0.html

Offline Indrekis

« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2006, 01:14:14 am »
Implemented "save to file" for the disassembly window

I never expected that feature to exist  :)  and it was pleasant surprise. So I was doubly disappointed when it was not working.

Thanks to developers once more :)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2006, 09:38:17 am »
Hello, i'm having a little bug in the last versions of CB (nightly win32, 26.08.06 & 25.08.06 too). CB shutdowns without error code when i click 'remove file for current project'.

To my opinion, it seems to happen if and only if when thos 3 conditions are present,:

Hope it helps...
I was expecting virtual directories to appear in Code::Blocks, they're so useful.

I can't reproduce this. Can you post your project file somewhere so I can check? No source files, just the .cbp...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline marfi

« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2006, 01:28:52 pm »
Hello,

a bug fix solving multiple appearance of class names and another items in the symbol view was included in the build from the 24 august 2006. It worked fine, but in the next releases the bug appears again... I'm affraid that the fix has been discarded or suppressed by another one...  :?

Offline ahlongxp

« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2006, 01:54:17 pm »
code-completion works fine for wxStringBase but not wxString,
fine for wxFrameBase but not wxFrame.
I don't know how this could happen. do this have something to do with preprocessors(e.g. #if,#elseif)
ubuntu 8.04
wxWidget 2.8

Offline Sagrer

« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2006, 02:18:15 pm »
"this->" works. Great thanks! %)

finded a bug:

Code
//main.h
#ifndef MAIN_H_INCLUDED
#define MAIN_H_INCLUDED

class TestClass1
{
      //Class1
      public:
             int testC1_1;
             int testC1_2;

void TestFuncC1();
};

class TestClass2
{
      //Class2
      public:
             int testC2_1;
             int testC2_2;

void TestFuncC2();
};

#endif // MAIN_H_INCLUDED

Code
//main.cpp
#include "main.h"

//Class1
void TestClass1::TestFuncC1()
//comment1
{
     //Function...
     //this->
};

void TestClass2::TestFuncC2()
//comment2
{
     //Function...
     //this->
};

(or, i attached a testproject with a bug to this post)

if uncomment any "//this->" and try to use CodeCompletion (for example delete ">" and type it again) - it don't want to work... but if i delete "//commentX" in a function, which has this "//this->" - it begin to work fine... i think that it is a bug because in DevCPP, and in such monsters as VisualStudio or C++Builder - it works without deleting "//commentX", and also gcc compiler, borland c++ compiler, ms c++ compiler - don't think that it is an error too)

[attachment deleted by admin]

Encryptor

CodeBlocks Bug Report
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2006, 08:06:57 pm »
Hi everybody!
I have been compiling Code::Blocks nightly builds for the past several days now. I managed to crash each and one of them just by trying to use Code::Blocks. By "use" I mean, I tried to create a simple program and I used the C::B interface with the mouse. Now, I feel like I should give some input about what the user experience is with C::B. I know you guys must have lots of things to implement, but I would suggest to take the notes below into consideration. I do not claim to be an expert or something, I am trying to help here ;)
I will provide screenshots to support my statements.

Ok, so a bit of info:
C::B: 1.0 rev2910 (build 26 August 2006)
wxWidgets: 2.6.3 gtk2, shared, monolithic, unicode
C::B configured as ./configure --enable-contrib
wxWidgets compiled exactly as described here:http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Installing_Code::Blocks_from_source_on_Linux
If you need more info, I will be more than happy to provide it.

Foreword: some of the notes here will discuss interface issues. Please don't say:"It's a wxWidgets problem", because that does not help. If you say: "It's a wxWidgets 2.6.3 problem, you have to use wxWidgets 2.7 and everything will work" then that's the right attitude, otherwise, if something in Code::Blocks doesn't look right, then it's a Code::Blocks issue that must be solved. The importance of the problem doesn't matter in this case, I am trying to report problems, not emphasize their urgency. I would appreciate it if you wouldn't take this as criticism, but rather, a way of helping.

First encounter with Code::Blocks (not my FIRST one, but first for the build)
1 I ran C::B with "./codeblocks", saw the splash screen, everything started up successfully (no error messages). The interface is nice (after changing GTK theme ;) ). A minor thing looks kind of ugly: the links are not fully underlined (like one would expect them to be), but rather, each word is underlined by itself.

2 Menu lacks icons. The menu would be much more user friendly if it had more icons. Also, icons (since they are images) are easier to remember than text (because visual memory tends to be quite developed in everyone).

3 I want to create a project. I go to File->Project. Personally, I think that "Empty file" shouldn't be the first choice, because most people would try to create a source file not just any file, but that depends on the individual. Ok, so a window pops up with lots of things on it. Now this is a user-friendly window, except for a few things.
  A The icons do not align correctly.
  B The middle window (the one with the white background which contains a list of available project) is too small! I shouldn't have to scroll right to see the rest of the icons (especially at 1600x1200). Now, if you look at the buttons on the right (Go/Cancel), you will see that they have lots of space surrounding them. Why? because of the "View as" panel. Obviously "Large icons" and "List", which are aligned horizontally, take up a lot of space, so the resize the window to the right. If you align them vertically, then the window will look more consistent and the white window (with the list of project) will get additional space, and you don't have to increase the size of the whole window.
  C The "Why are some wizards marked in red?" button looks like a quick dirty way of getting rid of the users who where asking you this question: "Why are some wizards marked in red?". I suspect that this button will be removed, but, just to make sure, I will still say that I couldn't see any wizards marked in red. Seriously, I double checked. Maybe I am missing something there (like some custom scripts), but, as far as I am concerned, that button is useless and should be removed. If it has to stay in the release, then you guys should come up with a different way of explaining this question, because that button smells like bad design. I would suggest a tooltip or something similar.
  D Since I had to scroll to the right in order to see all the projects, I thought I would have them be arranged as a list, and scroll vertically (which is much more convenient, because people can use the mouse scroll). I clicked on the "List" radio button. All the icons disappeared. Selecting "Build targets", or something else from that window didnt help. Apparently, I should have clicked on a Category to refresh the list. I think that list should be refreshed when I click on "Large icons" or "List".

So now I complete the steps of the little cool wizard. I really like it, by the way. A new project opens up.
4By default, main.cpp does not open in the editor.

I have to manually open it. Not a big deal, but still an annoyance. It's the little useful unnoticeable things that make you like a program.

5 Code completion: a painful topic, I know. It's being redesigned, I know. But, where is the code suggestion in this simple code?

Nothing appeared, and as far as I know, I should be presented with a list of methods and properties which I can choose from. A really useful tool, and I can't find it to work well anywhere, except Visual Studio and Borland Delphi (and other software from big companies).

So I thought.. "Ok, let me create a class". And I did. I created a class "Google", which has 4 public methods. I then created 1 instance of that class called SearchEngine, and .. guess what: SearchEngine->    doesn't do anything. I was expecting to see the 4 public methods of class Google. I can see the cursor changing to "Busy" for a split of a second, which means that it is actually searching, but it didnt find anything.

6Symbols browser - the most annoying thing in C::B.
 A
    It wasn't wide enough and I tried to resize it. C::B crashed.
    This is the output from C::B:

Steps to reproduce
     1. Open C::B
     2. Go to File-> New -> Project
     3. Choose Console Application
     4. Complete the Wizard
     5. In the Management window, double click on Sources->main.cpp
     6. Click once in the editor window
     7. Grab the separator that splits the editor from the symbols browser. Drag 5 cm left. Sometimes it crashes after the first drag and drop. If it didnt crash, drag the separator left one more time. It will crash with the above error message printed in the console.
     If there is no project opened, moving the separator did not crash Code Blocks. Most of the times, you dont even have to open main.cpp and click in the window. Just create a   new Console project and try to resize the Symbols browser. I always get the same error.
     I even got this error when double-clicking on main.cpp, but I couldn't reproduce it.
     On a different occasion, while editing the text and then resizing the Symbold Browser, I got this error:

Code
(codeblocks:4439): GLib-CRITICAL **: g_queue_push_head_link: assertion `link->next == NULL' failed
     codeblocks: cairo-ft-font.c:678: _cairo_ft_unscaled_font_set_scale: Assertion `error == 0' failed.
     Aborted
     However, I couldn't reproduce this either.

When i started up Code::Blocks again, it deleted the lock

B - Code Completion and Symbols Browser - Finally I saw my classes
Who would have ever thought, that in order for the Code Completion to work, and the Symbols browser to display the symbols, you have to SAVE the file first. Yes, I had to find the hard way. Come on guys, you can't make me save after each declaration of a function. Everyone saves whenever he/she wants, this shouldn't be enforced. In this case I didn't even think of saving, because it was a simple test class, and i didn't even bother saving. However, Symbol browser and Code Completion should have been aware of the Google class.
Also, I would recommend the Code Completion box to display methods, classes and properties with their types and parameters. for example:

int Google1(int,int,int)
void PrintX(string,string,string)
void PrintX(float)
void PrintX(int)
string Message

This is much more helpful than just displaying the name and an icon in the front of the method name. The Code Completion is not the case to rely only on icons. I want to know the type and the parameters that the methods take. It's ok if the Code completion popup is wider than 75pixels (or whatever its average width is). Even on a 800x600 you would probably fit most of the parameters there. Another idea is to display only several arguments of the function, and if they are too many, replace the rest by a "..." at the end. I think this will be really appreciated by the users, as it is not a matter of taste. It is obviously very useful if you have functions with the same name that take different parameters.
I have to stop at this point, I will try to find more bugs as I find more free time.

In conclusion
I would like to say that I really like Code::Blocks. I don't know why, I just feel that it has huge potential. I tried Anjuta, Dev-Cpp, KDevelop, Eclipse and god knows what else, and I still prefer Code::Blocks. I used it on Windows a month ago, and I fell inlove with it ;) But I think it has a long way to go. Until a stable version is released, I will keep reporting bugs so that they get fixed as soon as possible :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 08:14:40 pm by Encryptor »

Offline orel

« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2006, 01:01:33 am »

Hope it helps...

I can't reproduce this. Can you post your project file somewhere so I can check? No source files, just the .cbp...

Sorry for the late reply. I don't know why, i'm trying to reproduce this bug i had each time two days ago but now i managed only once over ten tries. However, here is my project file . Obviously, If i manage to find why it happened before, i will post it...

[attachment deleted by admin]
windows XP SP2
mingw gcc 3.4.5
svn Code::Blocks and M$ Visual Studio 2005 and .NET to eat!! SVNInside plugin :http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,7063.0.html

Offline k1mgy

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 04:05:28 pm »
I'm still working off this build and it's working well.

A question regarding file extension and syntax handling if I may...

I'm working with Klone, which is a very fine system for creating cgi.  It allows mixing html and C in the same source.  Escaping to C is done with the <%!, <%@, <% and %> characters.

Question 1: Although I can and have added the .kl1 extension (klone source file) so that these will open in the IDE, there's no option to "define" the file so that the syntax highlighter works. 

Question2: If I could set this file so that it's handled by the syntax highlighter, ideally I'd want the highlighting and other features to switch according to the current cursor position. 

eg:

<%!   // within this block, we have C syntax highlighting
#include <sys/time.h>
#include <time.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include "/development/AEM83+/trunk/libs/klone-devkit-1.2.1/AEM/webapp.h"
%>
// here, we default back to HTML
<script language="javascript">
function mm_jumpanchor(cAnchor)
{
   geturl1 = "#"+cAnchor;
   window.open(geturl1,"_self");
   return(true);
}
</script>

I realize this is a complex request and it appears Code::Blocks will not handle it right now.

Or, will it?

/m

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 06:09:01 pm »
You can add the .kl1 extension to the C++ highlighter but then the whole file will be highlighted by it...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

takeshimiya

« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2006, 11:46:48 pm »
I realize this is a complex request and it appears Code::Blocks will not handle it right now.

AFAIK c::b lexers doesn't have support for multiple languages in one file, but scintilla does for example in php or javascript inside html.
So it can be done but you'll have to add support for your language first in scintilla and later modify the c::b lexer handling.