Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Development

converting cbeditor to wxnotebook need to have more atention

(1/4) > >>

frog-o:
If you ever look at try to covert cbeditor to notebook it is one big pain.
Alot of problem acure in order to do this just an example.  In order to just add a notebook you have to conver all of the places in code that sayes cbeditor->destrory() to something like wxnotebook->removepage(cbeditor->getindexpage()).   There places in code where they have also deleted cbeditor when it was not nessarry witch cause the program to crash when changeing cbeditor to wxnotebookpage.  Why they called delete when not nessary, I don't know, I Ask see the forms.  I think they just goof and did not see the fact they did not have to use delete in the wxwidget doc please corect me if i wrong).

My point is i realy think that we need to work on fixing problem we got before add new feture.  The new feature like makeing messagemaneger disapper and reaper is nice but is useing mdi wxLayoutAlgorithm interface wich we(in my oppion) need to git away from.  

This project is just to big for one person and i think we need cvs to do it

I think it would be nice if mandrav would create a seperate branch away from the main control so we could do this.

what dose everyone else think?

mandrav:

--- Quote ---My point is i realy think that we need to work on fixing problem we got before add new feture. The new feature like makeing messagemaneger disapper and reaper is nice but is useing mdi wxLayoutAlgorithm interface wich we(in my oppion) need to git away from.
--- End quote ---

Even with wxNotebook instead of MDI, the wxSashLayoutWindow will still remain. Can't you just get over with it?????  :roll:

--- Quote ---This project is just to big for one person and i think we need cvs to do it
--- End quote ---

Who's the one person??? Last time I checked the project's page at sourceforge, it lists four (4) developers in the project. And we are using CVS  :roll:

--- Quote ---I think it would be nice if mandrav would create a seperate branch away from the main control so we could do this.
--- End quote ---

Create a separate branch for who to work on it? You? You 're not listed as project developer.
If this is your way of asking for CVS write access, let me point you to my last answer on this topic (incidentally, to you again).

Yiannis.

rickg22:
Anyway, frog-o. Why not do this?

1) List all of the incompatibilities (and when I say list, i mean list with '*''s and everything :) ) from MDI to notebook.

2) Find out which incompatibilities can be emulated with single functions.

Like:

void cbEditor::Activate() { Show(); }

3) Keep a log with the problems that appear as you do the modifications. If you find a problem too big for you, you're welcome to ask for help in a dedicated thread or something.

Also, remember that there's grep which allows you to search-in-files (and subdirectories) for extensive replacements, etc.

4) You're right the conversion may be too difficult to bear by a single person - specially if he wants to do everything at once (sorry, but it's the truth :( Some projects die because of lack of planning.

5) Look, I think there's no need to ask for CVS access. Instead of doing an update, do an EXPORT so you get a fresh cvs tree of codeblocks. Then, you can create your own repository in your machine. It's equivalent to opening a branch in CVS. As long as you keep a log of your changes and what you did to make it work, updating the tree should be a no-brainer.

6) Don't give up! If you failed, maybe you took the wrong path. I'm sure that if you do it in an organized way you'll do it. Good luck!  8)

DreadNot:
I'm with Rick on this, especially (4)--lack of planning. And I'd like to help with this effort as well, so (1), (2), and (3) are very important. Let's see your code and complete reasoning so we can be clear about the problems.

rickg22:
I realized that we may need some *extra* functions in EditorManager. For example, to mimick (or wrap) some functions of wxMDIParentFrame.

This way, we only have to make the conversion ONCE. This is to replace the mdi specific functions to EditorManager functions. And then each of this will have a simple #ifdef around it. Opinions?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version