Author Topic: Code-completion problem  (Read 4284 times)

Offline fili

• Multiple posting newcomer
  • Meow
Code-completion problem
« on: July 17, 2006, 11:10:32 am »
When I'm writing, the code-completion pops-up to show me the possible words that fit. The problem is that it doesn't close automatically when typing another key. For example, I want to write result++. Result is an int declared earlier. Well, I write resu, the window pops suggesting result but I ignore it and write the last two letters, lt. Now, when pressing +, it's ignored, because code-completion expects an ENTER. This appears only with +,-, [, etc. Is there a setting to control that, or a bug? (when typing another letter/digit, it dissapears. Only when typing symbols it remains there...)
Have FUN,
FeeL E!

Offline kidmosey

• MUSITU International
Re: Code-completion problem
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2006, 12:21:16 pm »
I think this is probably one of the items on the agenda for the rewrite of the code completion plugin.

Check the Regressions/Confirmed/Annoying/Common bugs of the latest nightly build:
http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=3574.msg28115

I don't know where there is list of all the known bugs for the plugin, though.
3 years until google knows more than god.

Offline fili

• Meow
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2006, 12:59:41 pm »
Ok, thanks. If it's (probably) a bug, I'll disable the auto-popup feature. It was annoying anyways :D
Have FUN,
FeeL E!

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2006, 01:44:31 pm »
The bad news is that code completion is pretty much FUBAR. Hardly anyone among the developers sees any reasonable opportunity of fixing it.

The good news is that we're experimenting with a new implementation already. It is nowhere near ready to be used for code completion to date, but at least as far as the parsing goes, it looks quite promising. The test parser handles namespaces and typedefs (other than the current one) and runs over 10k header files in roughly 3 seconds (about 6 times faster than the current one). Thus, it is not entirely unreasonable to assume that we'll have a system that reliably runs in near-realtime at some point in the future. Of course, those numbers may yet change as we work on it and implement the actual completion stuff, but the general impression is quite good so far.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline fili

• Meow
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2006, 10:29:12 am »
[...]The test parser handles namespaces and typedefs[...]
Will it also handle embedded classes? At the moment I have a class CTest. Inside the class I declare a struct TStr. The codecompletion isn't showing the members of that struct (neither inside the class, nor in the usages like CTest::TStr str)
Have FUN,
FeeL E!