Author Topic: Lacks and troubleshooting in GDB and Plugins  (Read 6808 times)

Offline jvpic

• Multiple posting newcomer
  • Breizhad
Lacks and troubleshooting in GDB and Plugins
« on: July 16, 2006, 11:14:10 am »
Hello C::B developpers and users !

I am a newbee in C::B : it is a great IDE but it lacks for :

1) A good documentation
2) Dll and fixed libraries for wxWidgets which is used by more 60% of users and is difficult to compile and integrate in C::B
I suggest to improve those two points in future.

And here some difficulties :
1) GDB works but with troubleshooting in particular the highlighting of the active line in GDB. I must move a breakpoint step by step to know where the debuging is and read the watch window !
2) The plugin source formater does not show a dialogue box for choosing the style : it works only with ANSI style.
3) The plugin help is not in the menu Plugins, so it is not possible to active it to install more help (wxWidgets, GDB, STL etc...) in the menu.
I must say that all plugins are activated in Plugins manager.

Perhaps somebody can help me  :D
Jvpic
Windows Xp SP2 Home edition C::B 1.0 nightly 17/07/2006 mingw32 3.4.4 wxWidgets 2.6.3

Offline kidmosey

• MUSITU International
Re: Lacks and troubleshooting in GDB and Plugins
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2006, 11:45:58 am »
1) A good documentation

What kind of documentation do you seek?  The SDK docs are available from BerliOS.  As far as usage docs, have you checked out the wiki?  Personally, I think a better alternative would be to streamline the interface to make everything more self-explanatory, adding the shortcut keys to tooltips and things like that.  The only parts of any applications' docs I ever use are the 'about page' and the 'keyboard shortcuts' page.

SDK Docs and Files: http://developer.berlios.de/project/showfiles.php?group_id=5358
Wiki: http://wiki.codeblocks.org/

2) Dll and fixed libraries for wxWidgets which is used by more 60% of users and is difficult to compile and integrate in C::B

They do offer pre-compiled mingw and wxWidgets libraries.  As far as making it easier to compile them, you may need to contact mingw and wxwidgets about that.  You can, however, check the wiki to see which settings to use.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Compiling_wxWidgets_2.6.2_to_develop_Code::Blocks_%28MSW%29

1) GDB works but with troubleshooting in particular the highlighting of the active line in GDB. I must move a breakpoint step by step to know where the debuging is and read the watch window !
2) The plugin source formater does not show a dialogue box for choosing the style : it works only with ANSI style.

These two I can't help you with.  Maybe one of the developers can lend you a hand here.

3) The plugin help is not in the menu Plugins, so it is not possible to active it to install more help (wxWidgets, GDB, STL etc...) in the menu.

The help plugin is now integrated in the settings dialog.  Settings->Environment->Help Files.  I spent a good hour last night to figure this one out.  Maybe we can convince Ceniza (I think he's maintaining the help plugin) to add something in the about dialog.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2006, 11:51:10 am by kidmosey »
3 years until google knows more than god.

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2006, 03:00:28 pm »
The help plugin is now integrated in the settings dialog.  Settings->Environment->Help Files.  I spent a good hour last night to figure this one out.  Maybe we can convince Ceniza (I think he's maintaining the help plugin) to add something in the about dialog.

Good idea. I also had to hunt up the help file entry dialog.

@Ceniza
  Could you kindly place in the main menu/help plugin/help/info section a blurb saying that the help file entry dialog is under Settings->environment->helpfiles.

thanks
pecan

sethjackson

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2006, 03:09:10 pm »

They do offer pre-compiled mingw and wxWidgets libraries.  As far as making it easier to compile them, you may need to contact mingw and wxwidgets about that.  You can, however, check the wiki to see which settings to use.

http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Compiling_wxWidgets_2.6.2_to_develop_Code::Blocks_%28MSW%29

Actually C::B doesn't provide a pre-compiled wxWidgets binary. Well okay the dll comes with C::B because C::B has to have it. However you can't compile a wxWidgets app if you only have the dll. You have to have the lib files too. AFAIK there are no plans to provide pre-compiled binaries of anything (except for MinGW).
You can however search the 'net for a wxWidgets dev-pack. The dev-pack has all you need to compile wx programs IIRC. :)

Offline jvpic

• Breizhad
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2006, 03:50:57 pm »
No in the stable release Settings->Environment does'nt point to help files ! Sorry ! Then help plugin is integrated but there is no mean to activate it in 1rc2 stable release !

Jvpic
Windows Xp SP2 Home edition C::B 1.0 nightly 17/07/2006 mingw32 3.4.4 wxWidgets 2.6.3

Offline jvpic

• Breizhad
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2006, 03:54:52 pm »
Hello,

You can however search the 'net for a wxWidgets dev-pack. The dev-pack has all you need to compile wx programs IIRC. :)

I go and try this, but I believe the best is to incorporate wxWidgets in the stable release. Think at newbees like me.
Thanks
Jvpic

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2006, 04:36:26 pm »
No in the stable release Settings->Environment does'nt point to help files ! Sorry ! Then help plugin is integrated but there is no mean to activate it in 1rc2 stable release !

You really need to get away from CB 1.0rc2 and use a nightly build.

http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?board=20.0
Nightly builds

Offline jvpic

• Breizhad
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2006, 05:38:45 pm »
You really need to get away from CB 1.0rc2 and use a nightly build.
Ok I did it 13 July.
But for Source formate plugin and Help plugin it's the same thing.
For the first I can't use another format than the default ANSI
For help it doesn't appear in menu !

No response again for GDB highlighting of active debug line.

I thank you for your replies bu I am always in search of solution to my problems !
Any way I work (not best conditions) with C::B.

Jvpic

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2006, 05:54:29 pm »
Source Formatter: Settings->Editor->Source formatter (it's the last one here).

It seems I'll have to add where it's found to both the help and source formatter plugins in their description...

Offline jvpic

• Breizhad
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2006, 04:44:56 pm »
Ok I confuse with different GUI in 1rc2 and nightbuilds.

The problem of plugins is now resolved Thanks to the community !  :P

For the GDB and the highlighting of debugger active line I have no valid response on RC2 or nightbuilds !
I repeat my question GDB works fine but the interface doesn't hightlight the debugger active line. (The color of hightlight is set to yellow but it is the same with other colors). I don't know where the step of debugging is. I must use breakpoints only !!!

Thanks !
Jvpic

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2006, 05:41:09 pm »
Ok I confuse with different GUI in 1rc2 and nightbuilds.

The problem of plugins is now resolved Thanks to the community !  :P

For the GDB and the highlighting of debugger active line I have no valid response on RC2 or nightbuilds !
I repeat my question GDB works fine but the interface doesn't hightlight the debugger active line. (The color of hightlight is set to yellow but it is the same with other colors). I don't know where the step of debugging is. I must use breakpoints only !!!

Thanks !

In nightly builds and SVN, the current debugging line is marked by a small triangle on the left of the line. The whole line is *not* highlighted.