Author Topic: The 09 July 2006 build is out.  (Read 26129 times)

Offline orefa

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: The 09 July 2006 build is out.
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2006, 05:12:02 pm »
I never even noticed that the status bar showed "read only" for these files. This is not where I look when I edit code. The status bar can also be turned off and some users surely have it this way. So if your project is not expanded or if you work with a single file then no hint is shown at all.

Like Thomas, I also liked the gray background for read-only files. There was no possible misinterpretation then. Maybe this should be a check box option initially set by default for safety, but one that users can turn off.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2006, 05:36:55 pm »
Nothing is wrong with it, except if you use Code::Blocks as a no-project-text-editor.
In that case, it fails miserably, as there is no visual clue whatsoever.
(EDIT: Oh, you mean the bottom right corner... :))

I thought it might help to display a (R) in the title tab, but that turns out to be a real pain...

EDIT:
I never even noticed that the status bar showed "read only" for these files.
Huh...? What...? I never saw that either ;)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2006, 05:39:16 pm by thomas »
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2006, 05:55:56 pm »
[You knowingly opened a read-only file, and you want C::B to tell you that you did so when you try to "edit" (search, and replace) in it?  :shock:

Here is what Xcode does:  If I open a read only file the little icon in the title bar that indicates file type has a padlock in the lower left corner.  The status bar in the Code::Blocks serves a similar purpose.  Now if I do any action that would make a change to the file a message box pops up and asks me if I wish to continue, telling me that I will only be able to save a copy of the file if I edit it. 

I do think that is better than failing silently.

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2006, 05:58:22 pm »
I never even noticed that the status bar showed "read only" for these files. This is not where I look when I edit code.

Although my reply was directed to Thomas, I 'll tell you that neither do I look there when I edit code. But I do look there when I want to check the editor's status...

Also I 'm not questioning this specific request's grounds. I just pointed out that while the gray background is gone, there is another indicator in place.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

takeshimiya

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 05:18:56 am »
[You knowingly opened a read-only file, and you want C::B to tell you that you did so when you try to "edit" (search, and replace) in it?  :shock:

Here is what Xcode does:  If I open a read only file the little icon in the title bar that indicates file type has a padlock in the lower left corner.  The status bar in the Code::Blocks serves a similar purpose.  Now if I do any action that would make a change to the file a message box pops up and asks me if I wish to continue, telling me that I will only be able to save a copy of the file if I edit it. 

I do think that is better than failing silently.

I think that's the best solution. :)

sethjackson

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 02:40:24 pm »
You knowingly opened a read-only file, and you want C::B to tell you that you did so when you try to "edit" (search, and replace) in it?  :shock:

What do you think.? 
I had to figure out that they were read only because my file editor did not tell me.
and even so, it should still work and because it a defect I wrote a 1,2,3 reproduction report.
So that the nice people of C::B can fix the problem without having to figure out how to reproduce the problem.

any problems with that.?

Oh sorry my bad. I thought you knew the file was read-only...... Sorry my fault.

Offline Jewe

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Fit Trainer
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 08:52:18 am »
Do you mean that wizard window does not close at all? It should close right after new project is created.

Yes thats what I mean.
Sorry for the late responce.
I was out of the office for a couple of days.
Anything curved in the hardware can be straighten with software :D
Compiler: mingw IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly WX: 2.8.0