Author Topic: odd compiler behavior when compiling CB  (Read 14433 times)

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
odd compiler behavior when compiling CB
« on: June 27, 2006, 10:50:11 am »
I am using the June 25 (rev 2610 Unicode) build with mingw 3.4.5 compiler, and I am compiling using the latest Unicode cvs version (as of June 25) of wxWidgets.  Using the default compiler options that came up when I loaded ( -Wall -g).  I got 52 errors & over 2000 warnings.  When I remove -Wall & -g and use -w, I get no errors & no warnings.  I expected the no warnings, but I got no errors.  I had originally copied the build log to a notepad, but I didn't save it.  I did a search of the log and I couldn't find any real errors.  A lot of warnings.  This is just the messages copied:

Code

sdk\as\source\as_bytecode.cpp:1517: warning: unused parameter 'name'
sdk\as\source\as_bytecode.cpp:1517: warning: unused parameter 'module'
sdk\as\source\as_bytecode.cpp:1517: warning: unused parameter 'engine'

Compiling: sdk\wxscintilla\src\PlatWX.cpp
In file included from C:/development/libraries/wxwidgets/wxWidgets26u/wx/include/wx/memory.h:20,
                 from C:/development/libraries/wxwidgets/wxWidgets26u/wx/include/wx/object.h:25,
                 from C:/development/libraries/wxwidgets/wxWidgets26u/wx/include/wx/wx.h:16,
                 from sdk\wxscintilla\src\PlatWX.cpp:9:
C:/development/libraries/wxwidgets/wxWidgets26u/wx/include/wx/string.h:58: warning: type attributes are honored only at type definition
C:/development/libraries/wxwidgets/wxWidgets26u/wx/include/wx/string.h:249: warning: type attributes are honored only at type definition
C:/development/libraries/wxwidgets/wxWidgets26u/wx/include/wx/string.h:613: warning: type attributes are honored only at type definition
Compiling: sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\Editor.cxx
sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\Editor.cxx: In member function `virtual void Editor::NotifyStyleToNeeded(int)':
sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\Editor.cxx:3537: warning: missing initializer for member `NotifyHeader::idFrom'
sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\Editor.cxx:3537: warning: missing initializer for member `NotifyHeader::code'
sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\Editor.cxx:3537: warning: missing initializer for member `SCNotification::position'
sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\Editor.cxx:3537: warning: missing initializer for member `SCNotification::ch'
sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\Editor.cxx:3537: warning: missing initializer for member `SCNotification::modifiers'
C:/development/libraries/wxwidgets/wxWidgets26u/wx/include/wx/gdicmn.h:41: warning: type attributes are honored only at type definition
In file included from sdk/sdk_common.h:136,
                 from sdk\sdk_precomp.h:8:
sdk/xtra_res.h:13: warning: type attributes are honored only at type definition
sdk/blockallocated.h: In instantiation of `static void* BlockAllocated<T, pool_size, debug>::operator new(size_t) [with T = CodeBlocksEvent, unsigned int pool_size = 75u, bool debug =  false]':
sdk/sdk_events.h:28:   instantiated from here
sdk/blockallocated.h:123: warning: unused parameter 'size'
sdk/blockallocated.h: In instantiation of `static void* BlockAllocated<T, pool_size, debug>::operator new(size_t) [with T = CodeBlocksDockEvent, unsigned int pool_size = 75u, bool debug =  false]':
sdk/sdk_events.h:100:   instantiated from here
sdk/blockallocated.h: In instantiation of `static void* BlockAllocated<T, pool_size, debug>::operator new(size_t) [with T = CodeBlocksLayoutEvent, unsigned int pool_size = 75u, bool debug =  false]':
sdk/sdk_events.h:134:   instantiated from here
Compiling: sdk\as\bindings\const_bindings.cpp
sdk/blockallocated.h: In instantiation of `static void* BlockAllocated<T, pool_size, debug>::operator new(size_t) [with T = CodeBlocksEvent, unsigned int pool_size = 75u, bool debug =  false]':
sdk/blockallocated.h: In instantiation of `static void* BlockAllocated<T, pool_size, debug>::operator new(size_t) [with T = CodeBlocksDockEvent, unsigned int pool_size = 75u, bool debug =  false]':
sdk/blockallocated.h: In instantiation of `static void* BlockAllocated<T, pool_size, debug>::operator new(size_t) [with T = CodeBlocksLayoutEvent, unsigned int pool_size = 75u, bool debug =  false]':
Compiling: sdk\as\bindings\sc_io.cpp
Compiling: sdk\as\bindings\sc_wxarraystring.cpp

Process terminated with status 0 (17 minutes, 28 seconds)
50 errors, 2579 warnings

I edited a lot of the messages to get the message to post.  Also, how can I generate pre-compiled headers for wxWidgets?

jmccay

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
Re: odd compiler behavior when compiling CB
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2006, 11:04:04 am »
well i'm not surprised about,
Quote from: the gcc docs
  -w      Inhibit all warning messages.

with gcc 3.4.4 you don't get these annoying
warning: type attributes are honored only at type definition

recent svn versions of CodeBlocks are building fine without warnings or errors using compiler options -Wall and -g
using wxWidgets263-unicode built with gcc 3.4.4

how the wxWidgets pch is generated you can see when you analyze a
project generated by the "wxWidgets application wizard",
when you get time to visit the "File"->"New projects ..." menu.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2006, 11:14:25 am by tiwag »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2006, 12:05:27 pm »
I use MinGW 3.4.5 and see none of these (compiling Code::Blocks more than a dozen time per day).

You might want to switch to "full commandline" in compiler settings / compiler logging. This might not help solve the problem, but then it might too. In any case, "Compiling: sdk\wxscintilla\src\PlatWX.cpp" does not tell an awful lot.

If you were getting a dozen warnings, I would reply "hey, that's normal for every wxWidgets program" (for example wx/dnd.h is notorious about generating half a dozen warnings when you compile Code::Blocks).
However, since you actually see 52 errors, something must be wrong. Code::Blocks does not compile with errors (and not with 2500 warnings, either).
Also, some of the warnings refer to missing parameters in the instantiation of the blockallocated template from the cbEvent class, which is quite strange (since the template defines default values). As it happens, I know for sure that this piece of code works 100% reliably and compiles without any problems. :)

No idea what is causing this, a blind shot might be that you are using a wrong include path somewhere or you maybe used the wrong project file by accident (but even then this shouldn't happen...?).
With compiler logging set to "full commandline", chances are that we may be able to identify someting. Otherwise, I can only reply "this does not happen" (which really doesn't help) :)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline tiwag

• Developer
  • Lives here!
  • sailing away ...
    • tiwag.cb
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2006, 12:35:27 pm »
I use MinGW 3.4.5 and see none of these (compiling Code::Blocks more than a dozen time per day).

it maybe depends how you've built your wxwidgets library,

i get thousands of
warning: type attributes are honored only at type definition
when i use MinGW gcc 3.4.5,

but not with gcc 3.4.4

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2006, 12:44:55 pm »
Well, I get about one gigabyte worth of warning messages ("type attributes are honored...") while building the wxWidgets library -- but not while compiling Code::Blocks or anything else that uses the library.
I'd go crazy if that happened every time (and compiling Code::Blocks would probably take 30 minutes).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2006, 01:01:03 pm »
I'd go crazy if that happened every time (and compiling Code::Blocks would probably take 30 minutes).

I have got such a problem when using wxWidgets 2.6.2/2.6.3 built with GCC 3.4.5 and then building C::B with GCC 4.1.0. Less with wxWidgets built with GCC 4.0.3 and C::B with GCC 4.1.1.

And yes, building C::B, especially the contr. plugins take much more time.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2006, 01:15:58 am »
Even with the supposed 52 errors, the odd part is it seems to get built.  The errors should be there when I change to -w shouldn't they.

The reason I asked about wxWidgets precompiled headers is because I don't think I am generating those when I compile the wxWidgets library becace the newest one is dated 4/19/2005.  I want to create the the PCH for the wxWidgets library when I compile it.  Is it possible?

a little light reading from the wxWidgets 2.6.2 readme: A detailed 2000-page reference manual is supplied in HTML, PDF and Windows Help form: see the docs hierarchy.

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2006, 02:39:45 am »
Ok.  I just recompiled with the full commind line option for logging on like Thomas suggested.  Icopied and save it to a file.  I searched the file for "error:", and I didn't find any instances of it.  I am perplexed. 

I got a "Process terminated with status 0 (14 minutes, 24 seconds)", and I think everything built.  Maybe I should download & try 3.4.2?  Would that make a difference?

I tried to attach the text file, but it is 830kb in size (too big).
jmccay

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2006, 04:06:55 am »
Ok, using 3.4.2, I still get a lot of warnings:

lots of: "warning: inline function 'XXX' declared as dllimport: attribute ignored"

several:  "mising initializer for member 'xxx' "

Are these normal?

jmccay

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2006, 08:43:53 am »
The reason I asked about wxWidgets precompiled headers is because I don't think I am generating those when I compile the wxWidgets library becace the newest one is dated 4/19/2005.  I want to create the the PCH for the wxWidgets library when I compile it.  Is it possible?
Yes, but it is neither necessary nor wise. Precompiled headers only work under certain constraints. One such constraint is that you can only use one precompiled header per compilation, and another is that the compiler options (at least most of them) must be identical.
Thus, if you precompile your wx headers beforehand, you will not get a benefit from it when precompiling your project headers. Also, you restrict yourself to always using the same compiler options everywhere (because otherwise precompiled headers are disabled).
To get the full benefits of precompilation and keep flexibility at the same time, you should use precompilation the way it is done in the Code::Blocks project.

If you still want to build precompiled headers for wxWidgets, it is really easy, just run gcc on wxprec.h or wx.h (whichever you include from your sources, preferrably wxprec.h). You have to run gcc with the same compiler options that you use later. It is possible to have several different option sets of the same header, for this you have to make a folder with the header's name plus .gch (for example wxprec.h.gch) and put the different precompiled headers (with arbitrarily chosen names) in there.

Regarding the 52 errors, this is probably a parsing bug in Code::Blocks, it incorrectly interpretes some of the warnings as errors.

Nevertheless, something is odd with what you do there. First of all, wxWidgets should not be compiled from within Code::Blocks, although it is certainly possible to get this to work, it is currently not supported (simply adding all the files to a new project will not do, wxWidgets needs a bit more than that).
I got confused because your errors/warnings show files from the Code::Blocks SDK, this led me into believing you were actually building Code::Blocks...? Are you maybe even building wxWidgets and Code::Blocks together?

Anyway, the "good" way to build wxWidgets is by using makefile.gcc in build/msw. This indeed outputs thousands of warnings, but those can safely be ignored.
Code::Blocks, on the other hand, can be built using the project file, this usually produces around a dozen warnings, most coming from wx/dnd.h, and a few from AS, those can be ignored too.

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2006, 10:40:39 am »
I am not compiling wxWidgets in Code:blocks.  I have a batch file that compiles wxWidgets at the commandline using the makefile.  wxWidgets appears to compile fine.  The last attempt with 3.4.2 got the warnings I just mentioned and these:

Code
Creating library file: devel\libwxscintilla.a
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\ScintillaWX.o(.text+0x763): In function `ZN11ScintillaWX9StartDragEv':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/ScintillaWX.cpp:230: undefined reference to `sci2wx(char const*, unsigned int)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\ScintillaWX.o(.text+0x1ae8): In function `ZN11ScintillaWX15CopyToClipboardERK13SelectionText':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/ScintillaWX.cpp:467: undefined reference to `sci2wx(char const*, unsigned int)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\ScintillaWX.o(.text+0x2520): In function `ZN11ScintillaWX7WndProcEjml':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/ScintillaWX.cpp:657: undefined reference to `Window::SetPositionRelative(PRectangle, Window)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\ScintillaWX.o(.text+0x2552):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/ScintillaWX.cpp:657: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\ScintillaWX.o(.text+0x258b):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/ScintillaWX.cpp:657: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\ScintillaWX.o(.text+0x25a3):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/ScintillaWX.cpp:658: undefined reference to `Window::Show(bool)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\ScintillaWX.o(.text+0x2617): In function `ZN11ScintillaWX7DoPaintEP4wxDC6wxRect':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/ScintillaWX.cpp:681: undefined reference to `Surface::Allocate()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\ScintillaWX.o(.text+0x2677):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/ScintillaWX.cpp:683: undefined reference to `PRectangleFromwxRect(wxRect)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\ScintillaWX.o(.text$_ZN6WindowC1ERKS_[Window::Window(Window const&)]+0x8): In function `ZN8wxDCBase17SetTextForegroundERK8wxColour':
C:/development/libraries/wxwidgets/wxWidgets26u/wx/include/wx/dc.h: undefined reference to `vtable for Window'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\ScintillaWX.o(.text$_ZN12wxSCICallTip7OnPaintER12wxPaintEvent[wxSCICallTip::OnPaint(wxPaintEvent&)]+0x76): In function `ZN15wxSCIDropTarget10OnDragOverEii12wxDragResult':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/ScintillaWX.cpp:54: undefined reference to `Surface::Allocate()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\AutoComplete.o(.text+0x7e): In function `ZNK6Window7CreatedEv':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/AutoComplete.cxx: undefined reference to `ListBox::Allocate()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\AutoComplete.o(.text+0x11e): In function `ZN12AutoCompleteC1Ev':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/AutoComplete.cxx:29: undefined reference to `ListBox::Allocate()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\AutoComplete.o(.text+0x15f): In function `ZN12AutoCompleteD2Ev':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/AutoComplete.cxx:36: undefined reference to `Window::Destroy()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\AutoComplete.o(.text+0x1bb): In function `ZN12AutoCompleteD1Ev':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/AutoComplete.cxx:36: undefined reference to `Window::Destroy()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\AutoComplete.o(.text+0x44d): In function `ZN12AutoComplete4ShowEb':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/AutoComplete.cxx:98: undefined reference to `Window::Show(bool)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\AutoComplete.o(.text+0x4c6): In function `ZN12AutoComplete6CancelEv':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/AutoComplete.cxx:106: undefined reference to `Window::Destroy()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x4f): In function `ZN10PRectangle8ContainsE5Point':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx: undefined reference to `Font::Font()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x45d):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x48d):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x4bd):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx: undefined reference to `Font::~Font()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x50f): In function `ZN7CallTipC1Ev':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:16: undefined reference to `Font::Font()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x8b4): In function `ZN7CallTipD2Ev':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:35: undefined reference to `Font::Release()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x8c2):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:36: undefined reference to `Window::Destroy()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x91b):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x938):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x955):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x972):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x98f):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Font::~Font()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x9bc):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Font::~Font()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xa1a): In function `ZN7CallTipD1Ev':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:35: undefined reference to `Font::Release()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xa28):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:36: undefined reference to `Window::Destroy()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xa81):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xa9e):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xabb):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xad8):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Window::~Window()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xaf5):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Font::~Font()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xb22):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:38: undefined reference to `Font::~Font()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xb5f): In function `ZN7CallTip20RefreshColourPaletteER7Paletteb':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:44: undefined reference to `Palette::WantFind(ColourPair&, bool)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xb7c):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:45: undefined reference to `Palette::WantFind(ColourPair&, bool)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xb99):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:46: undefined reference to `Palette::WantFind(ColourPair&, bool)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xbb6):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:47: undefined reference to `Palette::WantFind(ColourPair&, bool)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0xbd3):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:48: undefined reference to `Palette::WantFind(ColourPair&, bool)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x10b9): In function `ZN7CallTip13PaintContentsEP7Surfaceb':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:131: undefined reference to `Window::GetClientPosition()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x120d):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:155: undefined reference to `Platform::Maximum(int, int)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x1222):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:156: undefined reference to `Platform::Minimum(int, int)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x1242):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:158: undefined reference to `Platform::Maximum(int, int)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x1257):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:159: undefined reference to `Platform::Minimum(int, int)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x13c8):C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:175: undefined reference to `Platform::Maximum(int, int)'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x1401): In function `ZN7CallTip7PaintCTEP7Surface':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:183: undefined reference to `Window::GetClientPosition()'
.objs\2.6\sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src\CallTip.o(.text+0x16c7): In function `ZN7CallTip12CallTipStartEi5PointPKcS2_iiiR6Window':
C:/development/projects/codeblock/codeblocks/src/sdk/wxscintilla/src/scintilla/src/CallTip.cxx:222: undefined reference to `Surface::Allocate()'
Process terminated with status 1 (0 minutes, 16 seconds)
50 errors, 0 warnings

a lot more errors (I compiled a second time without cleaning to just get there errors).  I am definately confused.  I didn't have this much trouble last time I compiled cb (before this go around).  It seems it is having a problem compiling the scintilla stuff.  What is the library gdi32?
jmccay
« Last Edit: June 28, 2006, 11:26:39 am by jmccay »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2006, 11:23:06 am »
These are now linker errors, missing references. That suggests you are mixing up different versions (either of wxWidgets, or Code::Blocks, or both).

Make sure that you have set the wx global user variable correctly (pointing to the right location where your wxWidgets monolithic build for Code::Blocks lives), and make sure that there are no additional include paths and linker paths in your global compiler settings which may break the build.
For example, if you have set the paths some old libraries and headers in your global compiler options, and these are searched first, then they will be used, which can generate such a mess.

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2006, 11:33:08 am »
I edited my previous post while you were replying apperently.   What is the gdi32 library?  Is it a part of the wxWidgets library?  I noticed this time it is messing up on the scintilla stuff (see previous post).  I figured it was a linking issue.  I wonder what is causing all the warnings though.

jmccay

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2006, 03:52:17 pm »
gdi32 is Windows GDI and is mandatory to compile Code::Blocks (wxWidgets uses it).

Offline jmccay

• Almost regular
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2006, 03:14:50 am »
I just noticed something that might be the cause of a lot of my problems.  In the Build Options, directories tab, compilers tab of the code::block project is this directory:

$(#WX)\contrib\include

What is used from the contrib directory?  I don't have this in my wx libraries directory.  It is in my sandbox.  What is used from it, and do I need to compile anything from it before compiling CB?

Also, where is the initializer for SCNotification under the sdk\wxscintilla\src\scintilla\src?  Some of the warnings, and I think all the errors, I am getting are dealing with wxScintilla/scintilla.  Does wxScintilla/scintilla need to be build with wxWidgets?  Do you need files from under the stc directory?

jmccay
« Last Edit: June 29, 2006, 03:44:31 am by jmccay »