Author Topic: About RC3  (Read 137680 times)

Offline Ceniza

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • CenizaSOFT
Re: About RC3
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2006, 05:30:17 am »
None.

matthewjumpsoffbuildings

« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2006, 06:44:43 am »
drat :D

Offline PhyloGenesis

• Multiple posting newcomer
  • PhyloGenesis
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2006, 09:23:29 am »
You know, I'd b****, whine, and complain about it being delayed, but then I think, "How much did I pay for Code::Blocks?  Oh yeah." and then instead I say:

Wow, thank you guys, this program is awesome!  It's exactly what I was looking for to get away from MSVC++ 6.0.  I can't wait for rc3, I'm glad to hear it will be a stable version with many more features.  I like that it is open-source so I can learn from your coding, I love the fact that we can request features, that it has forum support, and that I can write my own plugins.  Finally, of course, I love it all even more because it's totally free!

Hopefully, I won't end up too busy with school to help you guys work on this!
PhyloGenesis

"For every programmer, there is an equal and opposite programmer who can't stand to read the first programmers code." - Snook's first law of (game) programming

matthewjumpsoffbuildings

« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2006, 03:01:29 pm »
do you have smilies turned of? i said "drat SMILE" not "drat RANT RAVE WHINGE BITCH". Chill out - i agree with you 100% and have no desire to rush the excellent job being done by the developers - so yea i was joking when i said drat....

Offline kylove

• Single posting newcomer
RC3 probably when issued?
« Reply #34 on: August 01, 2006, 10:06:19 am »

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2006, 10:17:20 am »

liuke520, I see you 're back. You should know the forum rules by now...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

cpprooky

« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2006, 11:54:23 am »
2 days without Night Build ?
Feels like RC3 is about to come ??  :lol:

Offline Game_Ender

• Lives here!
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 03:42:56 pm »
2 days without Night Build ?
Feels like RC3 is about to come ??  :lol:

I think not, it was mostly Berlios being broken that caused the lack of commits, which caused the lack of a nightly being released.

Offline kylove

• Single posting newcomer
what time the RC3 Release ?
« Reply #38 on: September 09, 2006, 09:09:36 am »
what time the RC3 Release ?

Offline Death Knight

• Death here
    • DivFix++
« Reply #39 on: September 30, 2006, 01:46:50 am »
what time the RC4 Release ?  :lol:

Offline Phatency

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2006, 09:54:54 am »
I really can't understand what these people think RC3 is going to change if they're already using nightly builds :P They're basically waiting for a version which has an installer and the word "stable" stamped on it, whoopee. I can understand the hype in some closed source release, but open source project with daily binary releases?

darus

« Reply #41 on: November 03, 2006, 10:44:54 pm »
I really can't understand what these people think RC3 is going to change if they're already using nightly builds :P They're basically waiting for a version which has an installer and the word "stable" stamped on it, whoopee. I can understand the hype in some closed source release, but open source project with daily binary releases?

It's not that easy. For example, you're a developer, that owns some project and want it to be supported by CodeBlocks. So, if there is some official version, you could test if your project is compatible with it, then post a label like "CodeBlocks 1.0 compatible" on it. So, it's guaranteed, that if some user downloads Codeblocks 1.0, it will work with your project.

But when new releases come each day (each night, to be more accurate  :) ), and all of them are equal, you can never tell, that your project is compatible with CB. There is always a possibility, that new build will ruin the compatibility.

When new version come with a reasonable intervals, say, once each 6 months, you can update your project to make it compatible with CB once again. But when there are constant changes in CB, supporting compatibility with it becames a burden to third-party projects.

Offline peso

• Abalone on Wikipedia
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2006, 10:14:19 am »
I Agree. The RC3 label is not important, it could be labled "2.0" or "39874" or "Yellowstone" or whatever. The important part is to have a release that is the same for many users. Stability (read "non-changing") is important to avoid rework of integration tests.

If such a label could be applied to a nightly build every 6 months, this would go a long way in this respect.

Of course an official release would be better, but no label - even with high quality code - does not meet this requirement.

Best regards,

Offline Jewe

• Fit Trainer
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2006, 01:14:25 pm »
The RC3 label is not important
For me it is. my "quality manager" will not let me upgrade my building machine unless its a final or a RC..
so at the moment I am using the nightly and have rc2 on the build...
problem is that I can not open the project files with that rc2 made with the nightly.
so from time to time i need to use the rc2..

is does give you a good impression in how far c::b has come.. :D

oh forgot to mention, its impossible to explain the manager that nightly today is the same as Rc3. no technical background what so ever. more like if(strstr("*version*","RC")) return ok else return not ok.. ;)
« Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 01:17:05 pm by Jewe »
Anything curved in the hardware can be straighten with software :D
Compiler: mingw IDE: Code::Blocks Nightly WX: 2.8.0

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2006, 12:21:16 am »
For me it is. my "quality manager" will not let me upgrade my building machine unless its a final or a RC..
so at the moment I am using the nightly and have rc2 on the build...
problem is that I can not open the project files with that rc2 made with the nightly.
so from time to time i need to use the rc2..

is does give you a good impression in how far c::b has come.. :D

oh forgot to mention, its impossible to explain the manager that nightly today is the same as Rc3. no technical background what so ever. more like if(strstr("*version*","RC")) return ok else return not ok.. ;)

I agree that "Stable" release may be really important from business point of view. And after stable release, the interest in project may be much bigger - information about such release comes to more people, download servers put it into it's websites and much more.

But on the other hand if we have some delay and still there are people waiting for C::B it leads to the conclusion that people want C::B because of it's quality and/or capabilities, not because there's CURRENTLY no alternative. That looks promising :)

But I hoope that we will reach RC3 soon (even though I can use nightlies and there's much work to do I just can't wait ;) )