Author Topic: About RC3  (Read 137673 times)

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
About RC3
« on: June 15, 2006, 12:33:54 pm »
Let's get this out of the way first: we 're hereby, once again, postponing the RC3 release for a later date.

On to the "why" now...

RC3 is going to be a major release for Code::Blocks (as good as 1.0 is going to be). We (the C::B devs team) have decided that we have to fix/test a couple of very important subsystems before we can actually release RC3.
We have tried our best to accomplish this inside the planned timeframe but unfortunately we didn't make it.

The bad thing is that we broke our promise again.
The good thing is that we can afford it.

People who want RC3 today, can get tonight's nightly build. It's exactly what would be released as RC3. And as far as support goes, you know very well that we support the nightly builds even more than our last official release (RC2).

So sit back, relax and watch the world cup which is taking place in Germany :).
We promise we will release RC3 soon. Can't give you an exact date though. We did this before (twice) and failed. Maybe strict timeframes are what made us fail before ;).

Estimated time is two-three weeks, but don't hold your breath.

That's all folks.

Take care,
The Code::Blocks Team.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

enex

Re: About RC3
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2006, 12:44:24 pm »
As long as no one dies in the process, im sure we'll be ok.  8)

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2006, 01:04:39 pm »
We have tried our best to accomplish this inside the planned timeframe but unfortunately we didn't make it.

The bad thing is that we broke our promise again.
The good thing is that we can afford it.

Hello,

Please take the time you think is necessary. As far I am concerned, I would prefer an high-quality product delivered a bit later :) rather than a rushed one.

Moreover, I think that you (devs team) should be relatively busy people and I really appreciate the efforts and time you are putting in this project.

So, take the time you need :).

So sit back, relax and watch the world cup which is taking place in Germany :).

It is a good suggestion :). Unfortunately I have too much work at the moment :(. Can just check the results in Internet.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2006, 03:12:02 pm »

So sit back, relax ...

I'm relieved. I've done nothing for the past week but panic over changes, leaks, and segfaults. Whew....

thanks
pecan

PDEE

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2006, 03:43:46 pm »
I think Michael got it right, take your time. There is no pont rushing it. We can all wait.

Thank you

PDEE

Offline oz

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2006, 05:00:19 pm »
RC3 could be a world cup special release 8)!

Offline orefa

« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2006, 05:33:32 pm »
The cardinal rules of software development are:
- It can be done well.
- It can be done cheap.
- It can be done on time.
- Pick any two of the above.

Well, the CB team is picking exactly the right two. Way to go, and thank you for continuing to be transparent on your progress, efforts and difficulties. It makes you all the more credible.

Offline Blue-Tiger

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2006, 06:46:02 pm »
I think that's a good idea. Also I don't understand why new features keep popping up in the nightlies. Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on bug fixing only (as opposed to: introduce new features with new bugs) befor a release? Or maybe create a "stable" and a "developement" branch?

Offline orefa

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2006, 07:07:41 pm »
It's easy to understand: new features are cool, exciting, fun to write, and this obviously appeals to the developpers. Debugging is time consuming and tedious and it appeals to nobody. Remember that C::B is a volunteered product, not a commercial one. Keeping developpers interested is essential since they do this for free. But this post and the road map sugggest that tonight's version should mark a feature freeze, then bugs will be worked on as you say, which will lead to RC3 and to the official 1.0 release. This milestone will be exciting it its own right. Later on, more excitement will begin again.

Offline byo

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2006, 09:18:50 pm »
I think that's a good idea. Also I don't understand why new features keep popping up in the nightlies. Wouldn't it be better to concentrate on bug fixing only (as opposed to: introduce new features with new bugs) befor a release? Or maybe create a "stable" and a "developement" branch?

AFAIK this will take place between 1.0 RC3 and 1.0 Final. And according to http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php?title=Roadmap_for_version_1.0 C::B developers still haven't implemented everything in 1.0 :(.

Personally I would like to see some few more C::B gems before RC3 release ;)

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2006, 11:13:02 pm »
Yes, just keep on working and when 1.0 Final is released use that as the stable/bugfix branche.
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline PsYhLo

• Almost regular
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2006, 10:01:47 am »
I'm using SVN builds for two months. So i can wait for RC3 or Final release
But it will be good to put some substitute for that RC2 may be one of the latest nightly builts
because new comers are using that release befor finding out that it has other build greater than that one.
I hope i'm not right but some of that users may be we have lose

sorry for my bad english

I hope you understand me

Offline Blue-Tiger

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2006, 10:25:42 am »
Yes, just keep on working and when 1.0 Final is released use that as the stable/bugfix branche.

Well, the name "Release Candidate" would imply that no new features are added, so I think it'd be better to branch right after the RC3-Release (of course that's just my humble opinion, I'm not even a CB-developer).

Offline phlox81

• phlox81.de
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2006, 03:55:35 pm »
Dunno when you gonna release that one (after the worldcup final? :lol: )

But, anyways, Great Job Guys  :D

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2006, 04:21:13 pm »
Dunno when you gonna release that one (after the worldcup final? :lol: )
It has nothing to do with the worldcup final.
N.B.: Even though I live in one of the cities where the world cup takes place, I could not even tell you who is playing! I happen to know that Germany will be in the next round because it was in the news last night, but that's about it ;)

RC3 will be released when it is ready, and that will be when a couple of important issues have been resolved.
Apart from several things that are just unpleasant (and should not go into a RC as known bugs), the two most important open problems are scripting and updating.

1. AngelScript, which we currently use, is a mighty fine thing, but it does not work on the majority of platforms that are otherwise supported by Code::Blocks. This is a very serious limitation.
Yiannis has done a lot of work to make AngelScript 64bit-compatible, but some of the low level internals are beyond his scope, these will have to be fixed by Andreas Jönsson. If and when this will happen is yet unknown to us, we have contacted Andreas about it. If nothing helps, we may have to switch to another script engine.
Obviously, we are not releasing RC3 now only to make another massive change like that a week later, this would be most unwise.

2. Internet updates are currently at a stage which is 90% functional on the client side, minimum functional on the server side, and which has 0% test coverage.
We absolutely want to include the ability to perform updates over the internet, as this will simplify a lot of things, and resolve many problems in the future.
As this is a quite important functionality, we want to be sure it really works reliably.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."