Author Topic: Debugging with external debugger  (Read 8334 times)

Curtisc

Debugging with external debugger
« on: May 25, 2006, 04:57:15 pm »
I just switched my work computer to linux, and I now need to recompile some custom modules for a program (Amira 3.1.1).  I like the looks of code::blocks better than eclipse, but I can't seem to figure out how to create a blank project that will allow me to use my own (amira created) makefile, as well as specify the program as an external debugger.  Any hints?

Also... I tried just importing the VC++ 6.0 files, and the program crashed each time I opened it.  Can that even work on linux?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: Debugging with external debugger
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2006, 05:07:15 pm »
Also... I tried just importing the VC++ 6.0 files, and the program crashed each time I opened it.  Can that even work on linux?

Which C::B version? If RC2 try the latest nightly build.

Best wishes,
Michael

Curtisc

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2006, 05:30:19 pm »
I'm using the May 24 build.

I think I need to recreate the project anyway, so I'm not going to bother with the visual studio stuff - I've got all sorts of custom library paths and all that and it's just easier to have Amira make the makefile for me.  So far I've got it so that if I make it through the command line, it's finding all the right headers and everything but there's a few errors (probably related to compiler differences), so I'd rather be using an IDE.  Now I just need to go back to my original problem - how do I specify an external debugger?  I tried running the program and attaching to the process number, but that didn't seem to work.

Curtisc

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2006, 05:47:45 pm »
Ok... now I'm just creating a new project, and every time I try to add files to it it crashes.  Maybe the old version is more stable?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2006, 10:53:01 pm »
Ok... now I'm just creating a new project, and every time I try to add files to it it crashes.  Maybe the old version is more stable?

That's strange. You just add new files to a cb project and C::B crashes? I have had problems with remove files from a project, but now with adding... :?

Could you please describe a bit more in details what you are doing?

Thanks.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2006, 11:42:02 pm »

What OS are you using? There have been some other posts about linux crashes when adding/removing files. I can't remember the distro though. I think it was either Gentoo or Suse...
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Curtisc

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 05:17:24 am »
I'm running Ubuntu (Dapper).

The crashing seems to be fairly random - I'll add a file and it will be fine, then I try another and it will crash.  Then I can restart it and try again, and the one that worked the first time will cause the crash!  If I try and recursively add a folder of files, it's guaranteed to crash.

I'm not adding new files, I'm adding files that already exist.  Maybe if I add new files and copy the code over from gedit or something?  I might try that tomorrow.  It would still be nice to have the problem resolved.

In detail, Amira creates a directory structure that it likes, and creates a GNUMakefile.  It also creates some default files (ProjectName.h, ProjectName.cpp, Version.h, etc), which I have written over with source code copied from the same project that was compiled for windows.  Then, in C::B, I created a new cb project in the same directory, and when I try to add my source code files, I get the crashing thing.  It also crashes when I try to attach the debugger to Amira.  I also tried importing the old VC++ 6.0 file, and that made it crash.

Would there be a crash log generated somewhere?  The only thing I could find was /tmp/Code::Blocks-charlotte, and it didn't seem to contain anything.

It's funny I'm having so many problems, I'd expect this to be a relatively common thing to do.  Hopefully I can figure out what's causing it - I like the looks of C::B more than the others I've tried (Anjuta and Eclipse).

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 08:23:45 am »
It's funny I'm having so many problems, I'd expect this to be a relatively common thing to do.

Yeah, strange. Especially Ubuntu has been extensively tested (Breezy though).
Have you tried disabling the code-completion plugin (you have to restart C::B then)? There have been some changes there lately and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the problem...
Be patient!

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 11:12:28 am »
It's funny I'm having so many problems, I'd expect this to be a relatively common thing to do.

Yeah, strange. Especially Ubuntu has been extensively tested (Breezy though).
Have you tried disabling the code-completion plugin (you have to restart C::B then)? There have been some changes there lately and I wouldn't be surprised if it was the problem...

Yes, it is quite strange :?. Ubuntu is relatively stable (at least 5.10). I will give it a look later, as now I have some crashes in my project's application :).

Best wishes,
Michael

Curtisc

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 04:32:17 pm »
Success (sort of)!

Since I'm not actually developing anything at the moment, I figured I didn't need most of the plugins, so I disabled them all except for the compiler and debugger.  No more crashing problems - definitely a plugin issue.  Now I just need to figure out how to configure C::B to use Amira as an external debugger.  I tried just running Amira and attaching my module to the PID, but Amira just hangs and I can't load the module.  Is there some way to configure an external debugger?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2006, 05:47:28 pm »
The crashing seems to be fairly random - I'll add a file and it will be fine, then I try another and it will crash.  Then I can restart it and try again, and the one that worked the first time will cause the crash!  If I try and recursively add a folder of files, it's guaranteed to crash.

Hello,

I have tried for some time (Ubuntu 5.10, .deb package of yesterday (rev2509), console application) and had no crashes when adding (recursively or not) and by removing files from a project.

May be your problem is local.

[EDIT]: And I have activated all the possible plugins :).

Best wishes,
Michael

Curtisc

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2006, 09:08:55 pm »
May be your problem is local.

I would not be surprised in the least if this were the case.  The computer I am working on has a history of random, inexplicable problems.

I think C::B is stable now - I even managed to import a VC++ 6.0 project, although it ended up beaing easier just to configure a blank project.  However, I still haven't figured out how to use an external debugger - it doesn't work to just attach to a running process.  Is there an option similar to VC 6.0 that will launch a program for debugging?  I am creating a library (modulename.so).

Curtisc

« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2006, 05:14:37 pm »
STILL haven't figured it out, this is driving me crazy!  Anybody?  Please?  Is there some magic way to set it to launch a program for debugging?  I may have to go back to windows...

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2006, 06:28:58 pm »
Is there some magic way to set it to launch a program for debugging?

Can you explain *exactly* (i.e. step by step) what you want?
I fail to see what's troubling you...
Be patient!