Author Topic: Code::Blocks SVN version 2481 crashes often  (Read 3973 times)

Offline Jorg

• Multiple posting newcomer
Code::Blocks SVN version 2481 crashes often
« on: May 21, 2006, 06:08:00 pm »
Hi all,

After I managed to get Code::Blocks running (wxGTK2.6.3 / Suse 10.0), I am experiencing random close downs of the application. I did a full checkout and rebuild, everything seems to be working fine, but at some points it simply dies on me.. I get messages like:

Compiling: ../../parserfm.cpp
codeblocks: cairo-ft-font.c:677: _cairo_ft_unscaled_font_set_scale: Assertion `error == 0' failed.
./cb.sh: line 3: 24881 Aborted                 ~/bin/cb/bin/codeblocks

It died while it was doing a compile step. I am not sure if the assetion error has anything to do with it, but as you can see the script that ran code::blocks suddenly aborts. It happened on a lot of occasions.

Can anyone shine some light on solving this? I am finally able to build code::blocks from source, but this as it is now is not usable as it leads to loss in my sources all the time.

Regards,
- Jorgen

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
Re: Code::Blocks SVN version 2481 crashes often
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2006, 09:09:13 pm »
We 'd need the debugger's backtrace for the crash, to see what's going on.
Copy the script devel/run.sh to devel/debug.sh. Then edit devel/debug.sh and change the last line to read like this:
gdb --args $APP_DIR/codeblocks $@

Then run C::B from a console using devel/debug.sh. When it crashes, return to the console and type bt full. That's what's needed :)
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Jorg

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2006, 11:36:33 am »
I thought about compiling code::blocks in debug mode as well. However, I tried to recompile C::B again and failed because of some libs. I wanted to throw away a build dir but accidentally threw away all my builds + wxWidgets build. I will try to rebuild next week and also compile C::B as debug, this is what I do, maybe there is something is wrong in the build steps??

build wxWidgets like;
../configure --enable-shared --prefix=/home/jorg/related/src/wxGTK-codeblocks --enable-unicode
make;make install

then set the wx-config to point to the /home/jorg/related/src/wxGTK-codeblocks/bin/wx-config dir

build code::blocks like
./bootstrap
./configure --prefix=/home/jorg/bin/codeblocks
make;make install

Then I have to manually point the libs to the exec, which I run from the bin directory. ps. I removed the shellscript line as it was in the orignal text. Thanks for letting me know that was not allowed ;-)

--
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/jorg/related/src/wxGTK-2.6.3-unicode-shared-release/lib/
~/bin/cb/bin/codeblocks
--

This seems to work allright (the LD_LIBRARY_PATH is needed else a different version of wxWidgets is used), but the frequent abrupt closes is what I am facing now. I did not know about the output/run script, is it much different then using my own bash shell script?

I will try to rebuild code-blocks with debug, is --enable-debug enough in the build process? Should i use latest SVN or a different one, because all latest nightly build messages do not show me a linux source I can use, so I assume SVN is stable enough (version 2481)

Regards,
- Jorgen

Offline mandrav

• Project Leader
  • Administrator
  • Lives here!
    • Code::Blocks IDE
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2006, 11:45:06 am »
I will try to rebuild code-blocks with debug, is --enable-debug enough in the build process?

No need to. Default build contains enough debug symbols to work with :)

I did not know about the output/run script, is it much different then using my own bash shell script?

You 'd use this script if you had built C::B using itself (with te project file). So since you 're using autotools, forget what I said.

--
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/jorg/related/src/wxGTK-2.6.3-unicode-shared-release/lib/
~/bin/cb/bin/codeblocks
--

Turn this to:

gdb --args ~/bin/cb/bin/codeblocks $@

It's the same thing as I told you above.
Note that when you run this script, it 'll drop you inside gdb. To actually start C::B, type "run" (no quotes).

Yiannis.
Be patient!
This bug will be fixed soon...

Offline Jorg

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2006, 11:53:45 am »
Thanks, I will look in it later this week. we have a couple of days off by thursday, so at least I can spend some time behind my PC again ;-)

- Jorgen