Author Topic: GCC error messages  (Read 3490 times)

ikolev

GCC error messages
« on: May 19, 2006, 01:30:51 pm »
C::B treats as errors some additional GCC messages which are not errors. These usually provide additional information about the error or warning that follows. The most common type I see is
file(line): instantiated from ...
I searched in the compiler settings dialogs and found that C::B gives full control over compiler output using regular expressions. This is great. Would it be possible to add this one ("instantiated from") to the default list of warnings?
And another idea - currently there are just two types of output allowed, error and warning, these are coloured and counted separately. However the above message is neither. I could mark it as a warning, but it isn't one actually, it's just some additional info. So I guess adding an "ignore" option to the expression types would be a good idea.

Regards,
Ivan

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: GCC error messages
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 01:46:33 pm »
But... that's actually quite useful.

If you see "cannot (200 STL types and containers follow) in (some template function with 17 parameters in some STL container)", then the really important line is "instantiated from...".

Having this identified as part of the error (which it is, too) allows you to jump to the error, instead of an entirely innocent header.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

takeshimiya

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 02:08:54 pm »
I think he's asking for one more category only. Called "info" parhaps?, colored with blue? And with the same functionality as Warnings and Errors?
Is that right?
« Last Edit: May 19, 2006, 02:19:49 pm by Takeshi Miya »

ikolev

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 10:11:50 pm »
Right, I don't want to lose the ability to jump to the source code location of the message. The point is that currently I get e.g. a total result of "2 errors, 10 warnings" (printed in red) at the end of the build, when the build in fact completed successfully. And there are red lines in the compiler output window which are actually just info about the following warning or error, not an error or warning themselves.