Author Topic: SVN Plugin Error  (Read 6720 times)

isomz

SVN Plugin Error
« on: May 16, 2006, 05:28:21 pm »
I am a newcomer to Code::Blocks.  I am evaluating it as a replacement for an archaic editor that we are currently using.  We are also looking towards using SVN as an alternative to our old source code control system.

I tried installing RC2.  I am impressed with the program, but I was hoping to evaluate the SVN plugin.  I noticed several posts on this site regarding a bug in the SVN plugin.  I have installed subversion and TortoiseSVN on my system and I still get an error when I attempt to start CB with the SVN plugin enabled.

My next attempt was to install the nightly build and try that instead.  The new problem is that the SVN plugin doesn't appear to be included with the nightly builds.

I thought that perhaps somebody could help me get this going so that I can do a proper evaluation.  Thanks in advance for your help.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: SVN Plugin Error
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2006, 07:40:08 pm »
The Subversion plugin only works with RC2, sorry. This first version had a few shortcomings, which is why I completely abandoned it with plans to do a complete re-implementation.
Unluckily, time did not allow for that yet. As soon as the critical open issues for RC3 are fixed, I'll reimplement that plugin for RC3.

For the RC2 Subversion plugin to work, it has to be able to find the svn executable. It will query the Windows registry (there is a key for the installation path if you used the Subversion installer) and looks in a variety of places, including (if I remember correctly) C:\subversion, C:\tools\subversion and %Programs%\subversion.

If it is still unable to find the executable after searching in a couple of places, it will assume that svn.exe is in %PATH% and just call svn.exe without an absolute path.
The path can always be changed in the preferences later, too (unluckily, you never get there if it crashes...).
There should actually be no harm if calling the executable fails alltogether, but unluckily the binary coming with RC2 was compiled from a version that has a stupid typo, so this actually crashes :(
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

isomz

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2006, 05:28:46 pm »
I have checked my %path% and I am still not able to run with the SVN plugin enabled.  My %path% includes both the TortoiseSVN and Subversion bin directories.  Is there a particular version of Subversion that I need to install in order to make this work?

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2006, 07:18:52 pm »
I had it running with 1.0 and 1.1 (1.2 was not out at that time, but should work, too, it is 100% backwards-compatible). Strange that it doesn't work now, but unluckily I can't check either, don't have either RC2 or that plugin on any of my machines since November :(

The plugin will look under the base path %programs% as well as under C:, C:\Apps, C:\Tools, and a few other locations inside a variety of subfolders, including . , \subversion\, subversion\bin, \svn\, \svn\bin, \bin (in any possible permutation).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

isomz

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2006, 06:11:38 am »
I have attached a picture of the error.  Could you tell me if this is the same failure mode as the known error with the SVN plugin?  I would appreciate it.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2006, 09:11:37 am »
Maybe, possibly, can't tell?

For one reason, I have never had that crash, but also the screenshot does not tell anything. It is the standard Microsoft "something crashed" message. You get this same screen with any kind of crash if that feature is enabled.

Crypticode

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2006, 10:49:33 am »
Hello,

Unfortunatly i get the same error as isomz.
It crashes in "wxmsw26_gcc_cb.dll"
I tried it with all subversion versions (1.0-1.3), it works with none of them.

Is it possible to tell when we can expect an updated version for RC3 ?