Author Topic: dev-c++ devpaks  (Read 10708 times)

new

dev-c++ devpaks
« on: May 06, 2005, 06:06:22 pm »
is it possible to use dev-c++ devpaks with code::blocks?

if so please tell me how.

if not, then will code::blocks support such a feature or do I have to compile the libraries by myself (for mingw).

Thanks in advance.

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
dev-c++ devpaks
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2005, 06:12:25 pm »
Not yet, they are working on it. I don't know in which release.
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Anonymous

dev-c++ devpaks
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2005, 12:17:29 am »
thats good to know ... thanks

Anonymous

dev-c++ devpaks
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2005, 04:46:28 pm »
Even though you can't use it directly you can still use alot of it.  After you unpack the package in dev-cpp you can set the compiler search dirctor to point to there lib.a and need includes .h files you can save a defualt dev-cpp project and use it for a template

Frog-o

Offline fiammy

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Nebulagame
dev-c++ devpaks
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2005, 04:07:46 pm »
You can use the Packman.exe program in the Codeblocks main directory to be able to manage DevPak files.

Anonymous

dev-c++ devpaks
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2005, 06:02:03 pm »
fiammy;

are you talking about the c::b version tht comes with mingw?

I lready have mingw installed and c::b is configured to use that instalation ... I didnt install c::b that comes with a preinstalled version of mingw.

afaik, Packman won't work in my case since mingw dosn't reside in my c::b directory. maybe if I use it from mingw directory it would work.

anyway ... I think i'm getting used to the idea of compiling libs on my own now.

btw, wxwidgets 2.6.0 stable is out ( totally out of subject :) )

Offline fiammy

• Nebulagame
dev-c++ devpaks
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2005, 07:50:37 pm »
Yes, but in the DevPak they used other options to compile it, so it is as far as I'm concerned, useless for C::B compilation. Sadly.  And my windows compiler balks for some reason at the wxWidgets compilation. I'll have to try it again I think

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
dev-c++ devpaks
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2005, 11:38:01 pm »
Hey
why not make a devpack ourselves?

Offline David Perfors

• Developer
  • Lives here!
dev-c++ devpaks
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2005, 11:39:35 pm »
be my guest :lol:
Compiler: mingw
IDE: Code::Blocks SVN WX: 2.8.4 Wish list: faster code completion, easier debugging, refactoring

Offline fiammy

• Nebulagame
dev-c++ devpaks
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2005, 03:00:38 pm »
Well, what you have to be aware of is that Devpaks have their share of problems. If you want to make a Devpak for a library that uses C++ functionality, you have to make sure your users have the right compiler. GCC breaks ABI (Application Binary Interface - the way in which Class names and inheritances are encoded) quite regularly lately. 32. isn't compatible with the later versions, 3.4 isn't compatible with the former verions, and now the 4.0 isn't compatible with the rest...
Sadly, there is no way (yet) in a DevPak to check what ABI is available on the host.

Moreover, C::B is a multi-compiler environment. So you have to take care that the devpaks can only be installed in GCC, because until now that's the only platform they are available for.

I foresee that there will be quite some enhancements to do.

Offline rickg22

• Lives here!
dev-c++ devpaks
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2005, 05:45:18 pm »
Then perhaps we should make a wxwidgets bundle... eew.. :-/