Author Topic: Compile and Run Doesn't Work  (Read 4998 times)

primetime

Compile and Run Doesn't Work
« on: April 25, 2006, 02:35:51 am »
Hey all.

I just downloaded Code::Blocks because I'm searching for a good IDE whilst I'm learning C++. However the button for "Compile and Run" can't work or isn't clickable.  Is there any way to have it working for non-project type files?

Thanks.

Offline Conan Kudo

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Enano CMS Project
Re: Compile and Run Doesn't Work
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2006, 02:49:07 am »
I don't think so... The devs said they wouldn't support it..

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2006, 02:50:11 am »
From your description, you are using RC2.

Extensive support for compiling (and compile-and-run) single source files without a project was only added after RC2. You may want to risk a look at a nightly build, the nightly builds are at least as stable as RC2 (actually more stable...).

Please do note that a couple of things may not work properly without a project (for example the class browser or code completion). That is deliberate and not a bad thing, since for everything more complicated than "Hello World", you will need a project anyway (for organisation).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2006, 02:52:49 am »
That's not right. First, nobody said that, and second, it does work nicely in current HEAD (I just tried before writing the above, to be 100% sure).
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Conan Kudo

• Multiple posting newcomer
    • Enano CMS Project
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2006, 03:01:32 am »
That's not right. First, nobody said that, and second, it does work nicely in current HEAD (I just tried before writing the above, to be 100% sure).

I think it was said in: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=437.0

primetime

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2006, 03:24:47 am »
Thanks for the reply.

I didn't realize that Code::Blocks was targeted more for the advanced coder with big projects.  I just saw an IDE with a simple interface that I'd like to use to learn C++ on.

Edit:
I just tried the April 23 build.  Build and Run works now :D  Hooray for "Hello World!"
« Last Edit: April 25, 2006, 03:33:01 am by primetime »

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2006, 09:17:20 am »
I think it was said in: http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php?topic=437.0
Well, that was in June 2005, even before RC1 was released. The devs were not sure whether or not that feature was needed, and made a poll. The poll turned out positive, and subsequently, it was added.

There has been a bit of confusion since then, since some users think it does not matter whether you have a project, so single files have the exact same functionality as project files. When it turns out that this is not the case, they are quite surprised. A couple of features are a lot harder to implement (or don't make sense at all) if you have no project. Therefore, some things don't work the same way without a project.
But that does not mean that compiling and running single files shall generally not be supported. If a user just wants to test whether a give snippet of code works at all, that's fine.

I didn't realize that Code::Blocks was targeted more for the advanced coder with big projects.  I just saw an IDE with a simple interface that I'd like to use to learn C++ on.
The good thing is you can do both :)
But seriously: once you have more than a few dozen lines of code, or more than 3-4 classes, you will see that you actually want to split your sources into separate files and you are actually happy to have something like a project to organise your stuff. Pain increases exponentially with file size ;)