User forums > Help

Linking duration too high

(1/2) > >>

Gorgar:
It's strange, but the linking time takes about 2.5 times more in comparison to makefiles. :(

Where might be a problem? I searched the project and plugin options but found nothing special for decreasing linking duration. Project values are equal to the ones I use in my makefiles, so there seems to be no difference...

Any ideas?

thx,
Gorgar

Using:
MinGW 3.1.0
wxWidgets 2.5.3
Code::Blocks 1.0 beta 7

rickg22:
Would you mind timing your results? Don't forget to dist-clean before every try, otherwise your results might be skewed.

Thanks.

Gorgar:
Sorry, my fault, these are my first steps in MinGW, I used VC++ 6.0 'til now...

I tried it again, it's only a difference of 7 secs. I forgot after switching from Eclipse to Code::Blocks the wxWidgets libraries have also been recompiled by myself (and Code::Blocks uses). Therefore I suppose the new libraries seem to be the problem right now.

Again that's strange, but maybe this is a topic for another discussion board. :)

Or can you give me a hint to speed up gcc? About 2 minutes compilation and linking time for a simple
frame demo I used for testing is rather slow (in comparison to VC). Of course I can use the release
version of the libraries, but even that is far beyond VC with debugging information...

Nethertheless, thx for the reply

rickg22:
You *MIGHT* try downloading gcc 4.0 mingw unofficial build, i've heard it's faster than the current gcc. However I forgot where you can download it ^^;

Sorry, I don't know how else you could speed up linking. Slow compiling/linking has always been an issue with GCC.

Gorgar:
Many thanks for your help. Because of compiling the project on a Linux system later I still have to use gcc3, the unofficial build might be too risky.

Maybe an official release will come out in the next two months (*hoping*).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version