Author Topic: Using Custom Tools  (Read 4089 times)

Mr. Awesome

Using Custom Tools
« on: March 26, 2006, 08:25:26 am »
In the Tools menu, I added a tool that is basically a shortcut to GIMP, and the link works fine.  However, I can not use any other tools until GIMP exits.  I would like to have multiple tools open at once, but this is not possible under the current circumstances.  Am I using the Tools option for the wrong reasons here?

Also, in a somewhat unrelated note, I made a tool that opens a Windows Explorer in the current project directory.  However, it does not work anymore (I can't remember exactly when it stopped working).  I looked at the error message and pasted the command into my own command prompt.  The Explorer opened perfectly.  So, I switched the option in the tool editor that runs the program from a command prompt and waits for a keypress to exit, and now it works fine.  Anyone know why it's doing that?

Thanks for your time.

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
Re: Using Custom Tools
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2006, 03:00:43 pm »
Am I using the Tools option for the wrong reasons here?
Yes, kind of... the tool menu is not though to be a launchbar where you put things like Gimp :)

We could of course modify the toolmanager so it allows to use several tools concurrently, but I am not sure if we really want to do that.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Zlika

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2006, 03:22:20 pm »
Hi
In the same spirit:
I wanted to add a shorcut to XRCed, which is a XRC editor. This tool is in Python. When I lauch it from the command line, it's ok, but when I put it in the CB Tools menu, it's not working!

Zlika

Offline Pecan

• Plugin developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2006, 03:35:21 pm »
the tool menu is not though to be a launchbar where you put things like Gimp :)

We could of course modify the toolmanager so it allows to use several tools concurrently, but I am not sure if we really want to do that.

The toolmanager works wonderfully for launching all kinds of concurrent processes.

Just be sure to use a command sequence that releases the shell (e.g. cmd /c  with a "start" command).

Also, untick the "Launch....and wait" box.

« Last Edit: March 26, 2006, 03:37:41 pm by Pecan »

Zlika

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2006, 04:01:17 pm »
Great! It's working now when I put "cmd /c" in "Executable" and the name of the python file in "Parameters".
Thank you!