Author Topic: Total n00b, lost in Linux Code::Blocks install.  (Read 4763 times)

CB_n00b

Total n00b, lost in Linux Code::Blocks install.
« on: March 24, 2006, 03:14:23 pm »
I have recently converted from Windows XP to Linux (Fedora Core) and have previously developed with Visual Studio.  I downloaded the RPM file and ran it but have no idea where the executable is.  I downloaded the file from here; the second to last link under the 'Stable Releases' '1.0 RC2' link.  I downloaded it to my home directory and double clicked the icon and saw it do its business, but the program never asked me where I wanted to install the package and nothing new showed up in my home directory.  Like I said, I am a recent Linux user (no real Unix experience either) and had thought that if I ran the RPM file, then a 'link' to the program would have shown up in the 'Applications' toolbar/button.

Did I do something wrong?

As a bit of background, I have successfully installed and tested (Hello World!) Eclipse and the CDT plugin.  I am currently evaluating C/C++ IDE for this new (to me) operating system.

Thanks!

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: Total n00b, lost in Linux Code::Blocks install.
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2006, 03:16:52 pm »
Hello,

You can download the latest FC4 nightly build here.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2006, 04:02:18 pm »
To expound a bit on Michael's post: the nightly builds are (strangely, I know) generally more stable and hugely more feature-rich than RC2. (Though some people have been complaining about crashes on Linux recently, I haven't ever had issues myself; I use Mandriva.)

In any case, you'll find that the majority of RPMs don't make any visible changes to your desktop or menus. Rather, they bury a few files in the bowels of your filesystem and it's up to you to know about 'em. In Code::Blocks' case, the 'codeblocks' executable is installed to /usr/local/bin, and you can execute it by entering 'codeblocks' at a shell prompt (if /usr/local/bin is in your $PATH), or creating a symlink to it on your desktop, or what have you.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2006, 04:03:49 pm by TDragon »
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2006, 07:14:56 pm »
In any case, you'll find that the majority of RPMs don't make any visible changes to your desktop or menus. Rather, they bury a few files in the bowels of your filesystem and it's up to you to know about 'em. In Code::Blocks' case, the 'codeblocks' executable is installed to /usr/local/bin, and you can execute it by entering 'codeblocks' at a shell prompt (if /usr/local/bin is in your $PATH), or creating a symlink to it on your desktop, or what have you.
That's not right. Autotools creates a .desktop file which contains the information to add the menu entry. KDE and other windowmanager usually add the menu entry automatically. Perhaps a restart/relogin is needed (not the whole computer has to be restarted, only the windowmanager).

rpm packages install the files to specified locations, which can't be changed, so it won't ask you where to install  :lol: 
Linux has standard directories where to intall which kind of data (executables to for example /usr/bin and other data to /usr/share).

Regards,
Daniel
Nightly builds for openSUSE

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2006, 07:46:24 pm »
@CB_n00b: What's the name of the package you downloaded/installed ? I think you installed a wxGTK package, no codeblocks package (I corrected it in the wiki).

Take CB_20060323_rev2236_fc4.rpm from the link Michael posted. You will need to uninstall the wxGTK package you installed (if you don't do this, next step will fail) and install this ftp.freshrpms.net/pub/freshrpms/ayo/fedora/linux/4/i386/RPMS.freshrpms/wxGTK-2.6.2-0.2.2.fc4.i386.rpm before installing codeblocks.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2006, 08:29:46 pm »
That's not right. Autotools creates a .desktop file which contains the information to add the menu entry. KDE and other windowmanager usually add the menu entry automatically. Perhaps a restart/relogin is needed (not the whole computer has to be restarted, only the windowmanager).
Well, that's been my experience using Mandriva linux (which uses RPM files): the majority of packages make no changes to the desktop or menus.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline TheTuxKeeper

• Regular
  • daniel2000
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2006, 09:08:33 pm »
Well, that's been my experience using Mandriva linux (which uses RPM files): the majority of packages make no changes to the desktop or menus.
Really ? :shock:
I think I have to take a look how mandriva manages this for my next mandriva packages. But there should be no differences between the distris, if using kde. kde searches automatically through the standard directories which contain .desktop files (/usr/share/applications or /usr/local/share/applications). Other tools or windowmanager should do the same.
But I'll check this, and if there's a solution for mandriva, I'll let you know.