Author Topic: VERY UNSTABLE linux version but rock solid windows version???  (Read 27661 times)

knue

Hi,

I have tried the CB-nightly-build-windows version yesterday and I was VERY impressed. Everything was rock solid, code completion was great, ...

Today I tried the Linux version. And actually I am a Linux user. I fetched sources from SVN. Here a list of bugs I could discover within 5 minutes:

- Just klick wildly on the tabs of the "Mangement"-pane. This switches my cursor to a strange thing and freezes even X completly. The only thing I can do is to switch to a real terminal (with CTRL+ALT+F1) and "killall codeblocks". I guess this is a bug in wx or the docking library but still VERY annoying.

- I still have a a Settings->Plugins' settings menu entry (but no submenus).

- Settings->Evironment crashes CB

- Settings->Editor freezes CB sometimes

- Codecompletion does not work. It seems that it works on a new project. But when you open other projects there won't be any codecompletion.

I hope I can get some help here or help in fixing these things by myself...

takeshimiya

Re: VERY UNSTABLE linux version but rock solid windows version???
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2006, 08:51:57 pm »
Hi,

I have tried the CB-nightly-build-windows version yesterday and I was VERY impressed. Everything was rock solid, code completion was great, ...

Today I tried the Linux version. And actually I am a Linux user. I fetched sources from SVN. Here a list of bugs I could discover within 5 minutes:

- Just klick wildly on the tabs of the "Mangement"-pane. This switches my cursor to a strange thing and freezes even X completly. The only thing I can do is to switch to a real terminal (with CTRL+ALT+F1) and "killall codeblocks". I guess this is a bug in wx or the docking library but still VERY annoying.

- Settings->Evironment crashes CB

- Settings->Editor freezes CB sometimes

- Codecompletion does not work. It seems that it works on a new project. But when you open other projects there won't be any codecompletion.

I hope I can get some help here or help in fixing these things by myself...
All those are known bugs on linux, I've experienced them all in SVN HEAD (including the one that hangs Xorg), except this:

Do you mean that all plugins still loaded ok?
That's weird because SVN HEAD doesn't contain such menu (Settings->Plugins' settings).

Are you sure you didn't mixed RC2 with HEAD (or an older revision)?

EDIT
About this:
This switches my cursor to a strange thing and freezes even X completly. The only thing I can do is to switch to a real terminal (with CTRL+ALT+F1) and "killall codeblocks"
To me C::B/Xorg hangs very often in a drag-and-drop mouse state (dragging text, dragging panels, dragging anything).
« Last Edit: March 23, 2006, 08:56:01 pm by Takeshi Miya »

Offline Der Meister

• Regular
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2006, 08:59:59 pm »
Just a little note: I'm using Code::Blocks revision 2234 on Linux (compiled with gcc 3.4.5 and wxGTK 2.6.2 - unicode) with the following active plugins:
- Codestats
- Compiler
- DragScroll
- Debugger

And I have to say: I can't reproduce *any* of the bugs you mentioned (of course, without code-completion I can't reproduce the last one, but the others don't appear, too). And Code::Blocks is rock stable, too.
Real Programmers don't comment their code. If it was hard to write, it should be hard to understand.
Real Programmers don't write in BASIC. Actually, no programmers write in BASIC, after the age of 12.

knue

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2006, 09:06:12 pm »
- Hmm, I just did a "svn update". I will try a complete new checkout later. Perhaps this problem is solved then. I had older versions of CB installed on my system, too. Perhaps there is sth odd there.

- I use KDE and I have never had some drag 'n drop bugs befor. I guess this is a GTK problem then. BTW: It would be great to see a wxQT port :D

Which GTK and wx versions do you use?
What can I do to vanish CB completely from my hard disk? So I can be sure that I do not have strange rests on my computer. I will then try a reinstall.

Offline yop

• Regular
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2006, 10:15:46 pm »
And I have to say: I can't reproduce *any* of the bugs you mentioned (of course, without code-completion I can't reproduce the last one, but the others don't appear, too). And Code::Blocks is rock stable, too.
Same here but without DragScroll. With CodeCompletion on, I can get the Settings->Editor freeze
Life would be so much easier if we could just look at the source code.

Offline CmKaHo

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2006, 10:37:51 pm »
I can confirm Settings->Editor (rev. 2222). According to my observation - freeze occurs when I have open project based on wxWidgets template. When there are only projects based on console template Settings->Editor works (very slowly, but works). When in this working situation I open wxWidgets based project Settings->Editor freezes. The only way to get it work angain is to close wx based project. Save workspace, close C::B and reopen it. My config: Slackware 10.2@current, wxGTK2.6.2, C::B compiled from SVN on clean intall of slack.

Offline CmKaHo

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2006, 10:43:05 pm »
I forgot - all wxWidget based project are wxSmith enabled - they are little demo projects with a few dialogs.

Perhaps it helps.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2006, 10:45:31 am »
With CodeCompletion on, I can get the Settings->Editor freeze

I do not have such problem with code completion, but with codestats plugin :?. If not C::B is pretty stable in Linux :D.

Best wishes,
Michael

knue

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2006, 04:20:27 am »
Wow, I tried a "svn update" and the new version seems very stable to me :)
This is the first time I see the code completion working properly in the linux version.
Almost all bugs are gone, except the annoying X freezing bug.
Perhaps this will go away when I upgrade to xorg 7 or wxGTK 2.6.3 or a new gtk version.

Thank you very much for the good work

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2006, 11:24:36 am »
Wow, I tried a "svn update" and the new version seems very stable to me :)
This is the first time I see the code completion working properly in the linux version.

:D

Almost all bugs are gone, except the annoying X freezing bug.
Perhaps this will go away when I upgrade to xorg 7 or wxGTK 2.6.3 or a new gtk version.

X freezing bug? Could you explain a bit about this problem?

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2006, 11:58:05 am »
No bug. Badly set up display driver ;)
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2006, 12:07:51 pm »

Ok. Thanks for the info :). I was quite at the point to ask him to post a bug on BerliOS (depending on his answer/bug though :)).

Anyway, I am quite surprised. My computer is old, its hardware components are old, but ubuntu 5.10 and Code::Blocks works without big problems :).

Best wishes,
Michael

knue

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2006, 09:19:58 pm »

Ok. Thanks for the info :). I was quite at the point to ask him to post a bug on BerliOS (depending on his answer/bug though :)).

Anyway, I am quite surprised. My computer is old, its hardware components are old, but ubuntu 5.10 and Code::Blocks works without big problems :).

Best wishes,
Michael

I don't think this has sth to do with a display driver. I have allready explained the problem in my first post:

I use:
2.6.14-gentoo-r3
x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r6
x11-libs/gtk+-2.8.13
x11-libs/wxGTK-2.6.2-r1

for non-gentoo useres: ignore the -rx at the end.

takeshimiya

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2006, 10:09:48 pm »
I have that bug long ago (yes, I know how to setup Xorg, and yes, this doesn't happen in any other program, only with C::B).

I'm using:
C::B SVN (and the amd64 package too)
Ubuntu Breezy 64
wxWidgets 2.6

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2006, 10:31:01 pm »
I use Fedora Core 5 and Ubuntu breezy badger on AMD64, no tampering, no crap, no hacking. Running nVidia drivers with TwinView on the Ubuntu machine, and default drivers on the notebook under Fedora Core.

Everything is perfectly stable and works nicely. Sunshine, lollipops, and rainbows everywhere...
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."