Author Topic: Same Problem, Different Machines  (Read 9429 times)

Offline ZekeDragon

• Multiple posting newcomer
Same Problem, Different Machines
« on: March 09, 2006, 09:20:56 pm »
I'm not exactly sure where to post this, but the people here at the C::B forums have been exceptionally helpful with everything I've had, so that's why I'm asking it here, so I apologise if this isn't the place.  Maybe someone here has encountered the same issue that I am.

I've been attempting to compile the libraries for FLTK and Fox for the last couple of days in Code::Blocks/MinGW (which neither of them have any documentation on building with), and both of them have encountered relatively similar issues.  For both, I opened up the .dsw for MSVC out of simplicities sake, which I believe works in C::B.  Either way, I started it up, and it said it couldn't find local header files.  I defined in C::B the folders where the header files were, and it continued compiling happily, until it reaches an odd point where it encounters a variable that had not been defined (both times, in FLTK and in Fox).  For FLTK, the variable 'rint' was not defined, and in Fox, the variable big_gif was the same situation.  I have a feeling it doesn't really have anything to do with the variables themselves, and instead it's something I'm not doing before starting the compile.   
I broke it again.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: Same Problem, Different Machines
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2006, 09:26:42 pm »
Hello,

Which C::B version? GCC version?

If I remember correctly this libraries are available as DevPackage, which can be used in Code::Blocks.

Anyway, still if I remember correctly (:D), the importing .dsw functionality is not completed. Are there no version of the libraries for MinGW?

Best wishes,
Michael

[EDIT]: I just downloaded FTLK-1.1.7 and there is a README.win32. Did you follow the instructions depicted there?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2006, 09:32:06 pm by Michael »

Offline ZekeDragon

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2006, 09:46:33 pm »
Okay, well anyway, since I somehow just posted that, I'll finish this off :)

I do have the most recent version of Code::Blocks (I updated it about 30 minutes ago, with the same problems).  I also have FLTK ver 1.1.7, and Fox ver 1.6.0.  The GCC Core it's running on is 3.4.2, and probably the same as the MinGW version, since I can't find the number.

Yeah.
I broke it again.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2006, 09:55:29 pm »
The GCC Core it's running on is 3.4.2, and probably the same as the MinGW version, since I can't find the number.

Thanks. The GCC version is enough :). I would advice you to switch to GCC 3.4.5 and to update the win32api and binutils files. If you like you can install Ceniza's GCC 4.1.0, but you should have your MinGW gome directory under C:\MinGW.

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline ZekeDragon

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2006, 10:09:19 pm »
I've upgraded it all.  Seems to still have the same error message, it's missing the variable declarations of rint and big_gif in FLTK and Fox respectively.  I'm going to rip everything apart, take out Code::Blocks, MinGW, Cygwin, FLTK, Fox, and even Qt since I felt like it, and reinstall it all and see if I can compile then.  I'll give you what I get.

Thanks.
I broke it again.

Offline ZekeDragon

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2006, 01:20:38 am »
Alright, the new Code::Blocks works good, so MinGW was installed correctly.  I had some trouble getting my MSYS back, and I've all but given up trying to compile wxWidgets, FLTK, and Fox inside of Code::Blocks.  I'm going to use OpenWatcom since they've at least got documentation on that, and I'm a n00b and need documents.  I tried doing it direct from the makefiles, but it seems that those aren't working with my Cygwin, and since I can't get MSYS to work right, that's a no go.  After I've got those libraries compiled, I'll use C::B for the development of anything I make, obviously, since it's got an excellent interface and system running behind it, I just can't seem to get it to work for this situation...  Any documentation on these things would be most appreciated.

Precomp's would be lovely.

- Zeke
I broke it again.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2006, 03:53:27 am »
I tried doing it direct from the makefiles, but it seems that those aren't working with my Cygwin, and since I can't get MSYS to work right, that's a no go.
Why are you using Cygwin or MSys? All you need to compile wxWidgets and Code::Blocks is MinGW. Just make sure C:\MinGW\bin (or whatever directory you installed MinGW in) is in your PATH environment variable, open up a command prompt, and follow the directions here.
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline ZekeDragon

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2006, 04:33:26 am »
I need Cygwin mostly for Fox Toolkit, since that's what I've got working for it thus far.  I am using MSys for the compilation of FLTK since it won't work in C::B.
I broke it again.

Offline TDragon

• Lives here!
    • TDM-GCC
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2006, 05:32:13 am »
In that case, make sure (as the directions I linked previously mention) that MSys and Cygwin aren't in the path when you compile wxWidgets, or chances are it'll fail.

Hope you get it working.

-JohnE / TDM
https://jmeubank.github.io/tdm-gcc/ - TDM-GCC compiler suite for Windows (GCC 9.2.0 2020-03-08, 32/64-bit, no extra DLLs)

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2006, 11:22:26 am »
Precomp's would be lovely.

Hello,

Why you do not use the Dev-C++ packages of the libraries you need?

Best wishes,
Michael

Offline ZekeDragon

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2006, 05:48:59 pm »
Hmm, did some research and found them, very nice.  There's also a plugin for Code::Blocks to use them, which is also keen.  Thanks for that, Michael, much appreciated :)

And the only reason, in all honesty, that I didn't have Dev-C++ in the first place was it being built with Delphi, which I don't have an editor for, and I like having the ability to change my programs (it's one of the reasons I like Open Source so much), and not just the aesthetics of it.

But then again... I also have Ares, which was made with Delphi. :?
I broke it again.

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2006, 05:58:11 pm »
Hmm, did some research and found them, very nice.  There's also a plugin for Code::Blocks to use them, which is also keen.  Thanks for that, Michael, much appreciated :)

You are welcome. Personally, I find the Dev-C++ Packages really useful, especially when I have problems building the sources by myself (e.g., iconv) :D.

I also have Dev-C++ installed in my computer, but since I discovered C::B, I practically never use it anymore, if not for download its packages.

Best wishes,
Michael
« Last Edit: March 10, 2006, 06:00:51 pm by Michael »

takeshimiya

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2006, 06:04:13 pm »
I also have Dev-C++ installed in my computer, but since I discovered C::B, I practically never use it anymore, if not for download its packages.

What's bad about the C::B Devpaks plugin?

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2006, 06:20:11 pm »
What's bad about the C::B Devpaks plugin?

I have some troubles with it. You can have a look at here.

It is a while that I have Dev-C++ and most of its packages installed. And I know where Dev-C++ puts the include files and libraries. So, I just have to pick what I need :D. Occasionally I check for a new version or a new package. But that it is just me :D.

Best wishes,
Michael