Author Topic: Auto Rebuild Not Working  (Read 6686 times)

Offline Dalmango

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: Auto Rebuild Not Working
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2020, 06:45:38 pm »
Thanks Blue, dear lord this is looking like it's going to be version related; owing an apology to stahta01, & looks I could be eating my hat for dinner this evening  :-[.

It's possible that I may have edited the files on each build & run, thus changes were made each time & that would explain the issue. I've just tried setting compile & link to a different file, making changes to that file & seeing if that file was correctly updated to the build/ link paths - sadly it was not.

Sounds like I'm not using the IDE properly, so again my apologies there. I just can't picture a project for each & every tutorial; it's going to be a bit bloated I think, normal programmes have many files & I would think that through the course of development you'll turn them on and off to isolated changes & make it easier to debug; but you know a lot more than myself. Thank you for explaining the process to me & I see the logic in where I'm failing at the moment.

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2020, 08:48:00 pm »
I've just tried setting compile & link to a different file, making changes to that file & seeing if that file was correctly updated to the build/ link paths - sadly it was not.
This is the thing i do not understand....

Can you please make a step by step description of every click you make, every key you press, every menu you click?

Offline Dalmango

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2020, 11:09:45 pm »
Thanks, your statement in reply # 3 was accurate with the only exception being I was using build & run.

When I say I'm turning the file off in compile & link I mean the pic attached; I'm referring to the top two; which are unticked in the photo; meaning not being run in the IDE.

EDIT - I was using virtual folders in Codeblocks pic attached. I've taken your comments on board & have been playing around with projects, it's so bloated & not really going to be easy to reference each topic in a project, I prefer my old way; as more structured.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2020, 11:25:06 pm by Dalmango »

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2020, 08:25:10 am »
Thanks, your statement in reply # 3 was accurate with the only exception being I was using build & run.
When I say I'm turning the file off in compile & link I mean the pic attached; I'm referring to the top two; which are unticked in the photo; meaning not being run in the IDE.

Ok, this part is obvious for me, but this part:

making changes to that file & seeing if that file was correctly updated to the build/ link paths - sadly it was not.
You Modify the file and save the file and then the build also does not work?

ve taken your comments on board & have been playing around with projects, it's so bloated & not really going to be easy to reference each topic in a project, I prefer my old way; as more structured.
If you want to switch files quickly, use the key combindation ctrl+g
If you want a flat view of the files (then it looks like your virtual folders) Right click on the Project in the Management pane->Project Tree->Categorize by file types

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2020, 08:26:25 am »
To make it even more similar, you can rename the workspace to your current Project name and save it...

Offline Dalmango

« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2020, 04:09:11 pm »

Ok, this part is obvious for me, but this part:

making changes to that file & seeing if that file was correctly updated to the build/ link paths - sadly it was not.
You Modify the file and save the file and then the build also does not work?

Thanks, sorry I think this is a user error. I think the issue is when a new file is created & run directly from the source folder I hadn't experienced these issues.
You've understood the above in a previous post, see the second screenshot in relation.

Many thanks for your help, there doesn't seem to be a "resolved" button on this forum, if there was I'd hit it, my thanks again.