User forums > General (but related to Code::Blocks)

Migrating C++ Projects into C::B from Makefiles

(1/3) > >>

Frank_CB:
Hello,

Could/would someone please provide some instructions; or point me to some documentation that covers migrating projects into C::B. Code::Blocks' Wiki doesn't cover that subject adequately other to say it can be done.

Regards

oBFusCATed:
1. Get a build log from the old build system
2. Add the files to a codeblocks project
3. Do a full rebuild
4. Compare the build log to the old build log
5. Make changes
6. Go to 3

Frank_CB:
@oBFusCATed:  Thanks for taking the time to post a reply!

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on November 22, 2019, 09:01:23 pm ---1. Get a build log from the old build system
3. Do a full rebuild
5. Make changes
6. Go to 3

--- End quote ---

I need to apologize for not having been more explicit in wording my question. It should have been: "Can a project be migrated through using a makefile?".  I had obviously misinterpreted the code::blocks wiki article "Codeblocks and Makefiles". I have since come across an article that pointed out that since there are so many variations of makefiles, that it would impossible for any IDE to be able to import them.

Regards   

stahta01:

--- Quote from: Frank_CB on November 28, 2019, 12:26:11 am ---@oBFusCATed:  Thanks for taking the time to post a reply!

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on November 22, 2019, 09:01:23 pm ---1. Get a build log from the old build system
3. Do a full rebuild
5. Make changes
6. Go to 3

--- End quote ---

I need to apologize for not having been more explicit in wording my question. It should have been: "Can a project be migrated through using a makefile?".  I had obviously misinterpreted the code::blocks wiki article "Codeblocks and Makefiles". I have since come across an article that pointed out that since there are so many variations of makefiles, that it would impossible for any IDE to be able to import them.

Regards

--- End quote ---

Code::Blocks can build using a makefile. Lookup custom makefile project in the wiki.

Tim S.

Frank_CB:
@Stahta01

--- Quote from: stahta01 on November 29, 2019, 07:18:06 am ---
Code::Blocks can build using a makefile. Lookup custom makefile project in the wiki.

Tim S.

--- End quote ---

Are you referring to the article by Gavrillo, dated 21 May 2010, entitled 'Code::Blocks and Makefiles'?  If you are, I've tried following it without any success. If that's not the article, I found nothing else on the wiki after doing a literally searching for 'custom makefile project'..

After opening a new empty project, then specifying a custom makefile, then opening the build options 'make commands' tab, I needed to select the release build in the left pane before I could select any command. All commands are grayed-out for the debug build. What to do then? How to invoke a make command from inside c::b? Does the command need to resemble one used from a command prompt? Any suggestions would be appreciated?!

Have you successfully imported a custom makefile into c::b?

Regards

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version