Author Topic: C++ IDE Code::Blocks Query  (Read 3945 times)

Offline arjunkumar

• Single posting newcomer
C++ IDE Code::Blocks Query
« on: October 31, 2019, 08:33:28 am »
Hello Everyone,

I am confused between C++ ide like Code:: Blocks, Dev C++, Visual Studio Code and Qt Creator. The first C++ IDE I used was Visual C++ Express Edition. I used it to write my first "Hello, World!" program, and I still use it now. Can anyone suggest me which one is good?

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: C++ IDE Code::Blocks Query
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2019, 08:56:32 am »
this entirely depends on your requirements... Without telling us what you want to do, we can not give you advice.... And asking questions about other IDEs on a forum for one speciffic ide is not really a good idea.. You will always get the answer that OUR ide is the best ;)

Offline arjunkumar

• Single posting newcomer
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2019, 11:25:33 am »
Yes i Know and I have worked on Eclipse but I have seen there are lots of ide's also and I have a search on google and found some topics like this but I am confused If i would like to suggest someone so which is best, still I don't know.

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2019, 01:43:32 pm »
It's a little bit like tastes and colours. It depends of the user ...
Nevertheless, it also depends of your usage :
questions you can ask before your choice :
- do you use several OS ? If yes, choose an IDE present on them.
- more, do you want to use the same project in different OS ?
- do you use several languages (C, C++, fortran, ...) ? if yes, choose an IDE which support all your languages.
- more, do you use simultaneouly several languages, for example fortran calling C functions ?
- do you want to use several versions of compilers ? for testing, comparing ... If yes, choose an IDE which allows this. Some IDE need the compiler installed in a specific folder. So it's not easy to change (but possible).
- how is easy to install compilers ? for example, with old versions of Eclipse, but I don't know today, it was easy to have a C/C++ compiler or a fortran one, but more difficult to have both simultaneously (but possible).
- do you use a debugger ? if yes, choose an IDE which supports one and usage is quite easy.

When you have filled your criterias, it"s certainly possible that several choices are still available.
Then, the best judge, it's you ... Try, test, ... there is no unique answer.
At the end, the look of the interface may also be a criteria ...
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).