User forums > Help

Newbie question: Trying to build a win32 application

(1/3) > >>

paul_king:
I am new to CB, and new to programming in a Windows environment generally.

I am currently using MS Visual Studio 2019 (Community Edition), and it is working quite well, except that it is not going to be the IDE where I teach: Code Blocks will be one of the IDEs.

I was hoping to use CB to create windowed applications under Windows 10. The closest thing you offer is the Win32 libraries. This is fine, but will this work with the UNIX-based GNU-C++ compiler, which is default? They sound strange together. Would it be better to use wxWidgets?

Which would offer the better IDE, wxWidgets/wxSmith or Win32?

Paul

paul_king:
Replying to my own thread, it appears as if they do in fact work together. I tested it.

I would have liked to see what they have in Visual Studio -- a way to visually place widgets together on a windows form using drag-and-drop. Is there a way to do this? It's pretty hard doing this in the abstract.

Also, is there an equivalent to an object inspector, where you can adjust widget properties and placement manually?

Paul

BlueHazzard:
Codeblocks supports wxWidgets with an visual editor. wxWidgets is a cross platform window frame work, that uses the native controls on every platform, so it looks like a native application on every platform...

Miguel Gimenez:

--- Quote from: paul_king on August 23, 2019, 04:51:32 am ---Also, is there an equivalent to an object inspector, where you can adjust widget properties and placement manually?

--- End quote ---

You can use wxSmith or wxFormBuilder.

paul_king:
I am glad to hear that a visual editor is supported. But is this visual editor coming from wxSmith? When I use it, I can't seem to locate the form editor. It is doesn't appear to be in the menus, toolbar, or any tabs I can find. Do I need to install both wxWidgets and wxSmith?

For the record, when I run the skeleton code from using wxSmith, I get a console which launches a blank window (telling me that wxSmith was at least doing something).

Paul

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version