Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Development

RFC: Dropping support for old wxWidgets releases (2.8 in particular)

(1/9) > >>

oBFusCATed:
wx3.0.0 has been released: November 11, 2013
wx2.8.x somewhere around 2007.

Probably it is time to drop 2.8.x for all platforms?
Anyone still not able to migrate to 3.x? Reasons?
Most linuxes are on wx3.0.x something at the moment. The only exception in CentOS7, but there are workarounds, so it is not a big deal.

I'd also be happy if we could drop wx3.0 support for Windows. There is no particular reason to support it. I don't test it and we don't intend to ship a version with it because it doesn't support HiDPI. It only clutters our project files with another set of them.

I'm currently porting the popup changes from wxSTC to wxScintilla and they are really hard to port to wx2.8. I'm not sure it is worth the time to do it. It will mean that I'd have to copy a lot of wxWidget internals or probably leave the old code and mod it a bit.

Anyone interested in this should speak soon, because I think I'll take action in the next couple of weeks. :)  8)

killerbot:
I totally support the drop of wx 2.8, and wx 3.0 on windows too.
I even think many linuxes already provide out of the bow more recent then 3.0.x too.

oBFusCATed:
I don't think, so. A quick check at pkgs.org showed that most linux distros are at 3.0.x and only OpenSuSe is shipping 3.1.2 (which is broken for cb:))

LETARTARE:
I am five machines with my configuration. I build 'CB' without problems with wx-2.8.12 and gcc-510.

For 'OpenSuse-Leap-42.3' :  always with native 2.8.12,
- I have not been able to install 3.0.2 next to 2.8.12, but I'm working on it (the native compiler is 4.8.5 !!),
- I'm also trying to install gcc530, gcc730 and use 'update-alternatives' I can not use for 'wx-config'
( these difficulties probably come from my inexperience with LINUX !)
I am also working on the installation of 'openSUSE Tumbleweed' ;  wx-3.0.4,  3.1.3 (wxGTK3-3_2) come with 'openSUSE Tumbleweed', but again the coexistence is difficult.

For Windows : for a week I'm trying to install versions 2.8.12, 3.0.1, 3.12 with the gcc-530, gcc-730, gcc-810 compilers as well as build CB from the sdk143 (cb-11793 .. .) : it seems more accessible ...

If the decision is made towards the beginning of September, I think I have made serious progress in all these problems.

stahta01:
I think dropping the Windows wx 2.8 projects make sense.
I do suggest keeping the core windows wx 3.0 projects;  CodeBlocks_wx30.cbp and CodeBlocks_wx30_64.cbp.
The windows wx 3.0 plugins projects make sense to delete.

This way it will be easier for the few remaining Windows wx 3.0 self building to still build core CB.
And, we can always delete them later.

Tim S.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version