Author Topic: [SOLVED] Reuse of custom wxSmith Component  (Read 2551 times)

Offline dcbdbis

• Multiple posting newcomer
[SOLVED] Reuse of custom wxSmith Component
« on: July 28, 2019, 02:01:28 am »
In CB 17:12. I have a custom component - wxSpinCtrlDouble. I am using the custom item from the wxSmith toolbar for placement on the GUI and it works just fine.

My question is: Can I now save this custom item back to the wxSmith toolbar for future use? Or do I have to manually recreate the constructor stuff, classname, and variable name, etc. each time?

The right-click menu doesn't talk about this at all.

It's not an operational issue if I have to manually create it each time - but I'd like to streamline if I can.....

Thanks!

Dave

« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 07:25:47 pm by dcbdbis »

Offline gd_on

• Lives here!
Re: Reuse of custom wxSmith Component
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2019, 10:16:52 am »
wxSpinCtrlDouble exists natively in recent svn distribution (a nightly) using wxWidgets 3.x. So, if you can switch to svn, you have a solution.
gd_on
« Last Edit: July 28, 2019, 10:45:02 am by gd_on »
Windows 11 64 bits (23H2), svn C::B (last version or almost!), wxWidgets 3.2.4 (tests with 3.3), Msys2 Compilers 13.2.0, 64 bits (seh, posix : gcc, g++ and gfortran in C:\msys64\mingw64) or 32 bits (dwarf2, posix  in C:\msys64\mingw32).

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Reuse of custom wxSmith Component
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2019, 11:52:53 am »
And no the UI is not customizable. I guess it could be done, patches welcome. :)
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline dcbdbis

• Multiple posting newcomer
Re: [SOLVED] Reuse of custom wxSmith Component
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2019, 07:40:59 pm »
Thank you - all of you for your responses. I appreciate it.

It's not a problem - it's just more time consuming to do it manually. I don't want to use svn - I prefer stable and supported over fresh and shiny. I'm a semi-retired old guy, and a military veteran with permanent injuries from the Vietnam era. I'm 63. I've been developing since the days of 8-bit green punch cards and 300 baud acoustically coupled modems.....I prefer stable.

Although I'm new to CodeBlocks and wxWidgets (just convinced two of my clients to dump C# and Visual Studio)....I am not new to C++. I am finding CodeBlocks wonderfully stable. A HELL of a lot more robust than Visual Studio. And C++ is where my formal education is at the university. C# just caused myself and my clients too much compatibility issues - especially after W10 updates would break stuff. So one client is in the process of going all Linux on their desktops and their servers, and the other - well - lets just say I'm bending their arm!   :-)

Linux is my main OS since 2004 and is my wife's too.

Thank you all again for your responses.....

And THANK YOU for CodeBlocks.  I mean it...THANK YOU.

As my contracts come to maturity and I start getting some income - I plan on supporting the project financially (as will my clients once they receive their software from me). Unfortunately at the moment - I can't.

I sincerely appreciate receiving support as I adjust to the different paradigms between the two RAD environments.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Dave