Author Topic: SVN  (Read 6453 times)

sethjackson

SVN
« on: February 11, 2006, 10:43:45 pm »
Hi how do I set up a SVN repository on my personal PC? I assume this can be done? Basically here is what I'm working with. I have a network drive called P:\. I have created a folder called SVN this is where all my repositories will reside. Inside this SVN folder I create another folder lets call it Test. I right click on the Test folder (I have TortoiseSVN on Windows XP) and I select Create Repository here. Ok all is good. Now I try to import my project, and it fails..... Do I need to run a SVN server? I hope not....

Offline Michael

• Lives here!
Re: SVN
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 10:53:38 pm »
Hello,

If you just want to set a SVN repostory to e.g., check-out C::B sources, then you can make a new repository called e.g., SVN and then use TortoiseSVN checkout functionality. The interesting thing is that if you copy your SVN repository to another place, it is still under SVN control and you can update it with TortoiseSVN.

If you would like to have projects under SVN so that other people could access with e.g., TortoiseSVN, then I think you should make your own SVN server. Ceniza has done something similar (If I am not wrong), so that you can access his Source Formatter project by using TortoiseSVN. You can look at here.

Michael

sethjackson

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 10:59:04 pm »
Yeah I know how to checkout....
I meant my own personal (local not accessible by anyone except me) repository.....

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 10:59:49 pm »
I have a network drive called P:\. I have created a folder called SVN this is where all my repositories will reside. Inside this SVN folder I create another folder lets call it Test. I right click on the Test folder (I have TortoiseSVN on Windows XP) and I select Create Repository here. Ok all is good. Now I try to import my project, and it fails..... Do I need to run a SVN server? I hope not....
Yes and no... depends what you want to do. If you want to access your repository via file:/// then what you have done is all you need to do, and it will certainly work (I know it does because I have done that before ;)). In all other cases, you must set up a server.

Remember, however, that there is a big, big, nasty catch with network drives. If you create a Berkeley repository on a network drive, it WILL corrupt the repository. Don't do that. Either, do not use a network drive (the "official" recommended way), or if you have to use a network drive, then use FSFS. The nasty thing about Berkeley repositories is that it may even accidentially work, but it will fail any time later, and you will lose all your data, but you won't know why.
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

sethjackson

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2006, 11:04:22 pm »
Hmm Ok I guess I need to install the SVN server then....

takeshimiya

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2006, 11:07:20 pm »
Remember, however, that there is a big, big, nasty catch with network drives. If you create a Berkeley repository on a network drive, it WILL corrupt the repository. Don't do that. Either, do not use a network drive (the "official" recommended way), or if you have to use a network drive, then use FSFS. The nasty thing about Berkeley repositories is that it may even accidentially work, but it will fail any time later, and you will lose all your data, but you won't know why.

lol, yes, the SVN manual is plagged with "Use FSFS!!! Use FSFS!!! Berkeley DBs will explode!!" :lol:
I guess FSFS are safer :P

It is not necesary, if you use FSFS and file:///

Offline thomas

• Administrator
  • Lives here!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 11:11:41 pm »
Why? If it should only be local, accessible by nobody else (not even on the LAN) then you can use svn file:///path/to/repo which will work just fine.

What exactly is the error message you get?
"We should forget about small efficiencies, say about 97% of the time: Premature quotation is the root of public humiliation."

sethjackson

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 11:16:58 pm »
Why? If it should only be local, accessible by nobody else (not even on the LAN) then you can use svn file:///path/to/repo which will work just fine.

What exactly is the error message you get?

I was doing the import backwards it works now...... The thing is right now I want it to be local so I can learn how to use SVN.... Later though I may set up an actual SVN server.

atwins

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2006, 02:51:32 am »
The thing is right now I want it to be local so I can learn how to use SVN....

Just a heads up.

Note that (at least in Linux0 SmartSVN, the java based GUI interface, does not like the local file: protocol.  It prefers the svn: protocol.  Don't know if this is a similar issue in Windows, but I suspect it is. Of course there are other GUI front ends which may not have this little quirk.
Anyway Installing svnserve and getting it going is a snap.

There is a great downloadable document from the subversion site.  Which actually points to http://svnbook.red-bean.com/