Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Development

C::B EOF?

<< < (6/6)

gtafan:

--- Quote from: stahta01 on April 23, 2019, 04:35:12 pm ---
--- Quote from: gtafan on April 23, 2019, 03:34:59 pm ---
--- Quote from: stahta01 on April 21, 2019, 05:43:59 pm ---
--- Quote from: gtafan on April 21, 2019, 05:33:51 pm ---So any chance to see the new CodeBlocks version this year? I mean that nightly build stuff is just something for hardcore CB users.

--- End quote ---

No, it is for people who wish to help this project improve.

Tim S.

--- End quote ---
Sorry but can´t completly agrre, it´s not enough to wish to do something, you need to have some skills in doing it and not everibody is familiar with that compiler, linker and build stuff.

--- End quote ---

So, you do not know enough to report bugs unless you are familiar with that compiler, linker and build stuff? I strongly disagree.

Tim S.

--- End quote ---
OK, I could report bugs without that knowledge, but many of them would be nor real ones. Simple example, nightly build have no compiler, so if I try to compile my code, will defenetly get problems, which I could then report as bug, but it´s none. There are reasons why for most tools not everyone can bekome alpha tester and nightly build is just an alpha version.

sodev:
CodeBlocks is not following a traditional release cycle, it's more like a continuous delivery approach. At some random point in time someone increases the version number, creates all these packages (including the ones with a compiler which might even be harmful if that compiler gets installed in a private fashion, prevents you from using that compiler update infrastructure) and calls it release. These are just my observations, i dont want to hurt anyone if there is another approach :).

Im not even using nightlies, i am building CodeBlocks myself. Usually trunk is in a usable state, check the log and don't create your own "release" when you spot dangerous changes that might cause issues. I am doing this not only with CodeBlocks but some other open source applications and even libraries i ship with our applications for many years, usually this works very well, only a few times i grabbed a bad revision that broke something ;D

gtafan:

--- Quote from: sodev on April 25, 2019, 07:47:34 pm ---CodeBlocks is not following a traditional release cycle, it's more like a continuous delivery approach. At some random point in time someone increases the version number, creates all these packages (including the ones with a compiler which might even be harmful if that compiler gets installed in a private fashion, prevents you from using that compiler update infrastructure) and calls it release. These are just my observations, i dont want to hurt anyone if there is another approach :).

Im not even using nightlies, i am building CodeBlocks myself. Usually trunk is in a usable state, check the log and don't create your own "release" when you spot dangerous changes that might cause issues. I am doing this not only with CodeBlocks but some other open source applications and even libraries i ship with our applications for many years, usually this works very well, only a few times i grabbed a bad revision that broke something ;D

--- End quote ---
You are linux user, right? All linux users, I know, tallk similar stuff as you, I respect this opinion, but have a diferent, to be more precise oposite, one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version