Developer forums (C::B DEVELOPMENT STRICTLY!) > Development

C::B EOF?

(1/6) > >>

Jewest:
As an user I wonder is C::B still alive?
No new release this year and no road plan.
Should I be looking for a new/different IDE?

Not planning a release is planning for disaster.
I understand that releasing a new version give a lot of stress on the team.
But never releasing will result in people leaving the project as it is a never ending story.
No I do not want to install the lasted unstable nightly build version, I use the program to create my own problems  ;)
Testing a RC is a different story, as this an attempt to create an end product.

I love the program but no release does make me rethink my options.

Best regards,

Jewest

oBFusCATed:

--- Quote from: Jewest on January 03, 2019, 10:18:37 am ---As an user I wonder is C::B still alive?

--- End quote ---
Sort of, but it is underpowered.

--- Quote from: Jewest on January 03, 2019, 10:18:37 am ---No new release this year and no road plan.

--- End quote ---
We've stopped doing these long ago, because they are useless. Development of C::B is driven by personal interest of developers and patches provided by non-developers.

--- Quote from: Jewest on January 03, 2019, 10:18:37 am ---Should I be looking for a new/different IDE?

--- End quote ---
Yes, if C::B doesn't work for you. Please report problems you have, so we can fix them.

--- Quote ---Not planning a release is planning for disaster.
I understand that releasing a new version give a lot of stress on the team.

--- End quote ---
We have a plan, it is just not public yet :)

--- Quote ---But never releasing will result in people leaving the project as it is a never ending story.

--- End quote ---
Last release was an year ago... But generally I agree...

--- Quote ---I love the program but no release does make me rethink my options.

--- End quote ---
Why? What is the rational for switching to another software just because your current software has infrequent releases?

BlueHazzard:
And also there are the nightlies, that come quite often...

Jewest:

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on January 03, 2019, 10:45:54 am ---Sort of, but it is underpowered.

--- End quote ---
Ok I understand, slower development.

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on January 03, 2019, 10:45:54 am ---We've stopped doing these long ago, because they are useless. Development of C::B is driven by personal interest of developers and patches provided by non-developers.

--- End quote ---
I disagree, they are useful. why would I contribute to the project that has no end date?

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on January 03, 2019, 10:45:54 am ---Yes, if C::B doesn't work for you. Please report problems you have, so we can fix them.

--- End quote ---
C::B works for me but every time I report something I get this will be solved in a nightly. there is never a real RC or a final with the fix.

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on January 03, 2019, 10:45:54 am ---We have a plan, it is just not public yet :)

--- End quote ---
So there is no plan, otherwise you would have put it up somewhere.
A plan can also be made without a dead line.
Or when on the developers has inserted something new.

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on January 03, 2019, 10:45:54 am ---Last release was an year ago... But generally I agree...

--- End quote ---
A year without a new release? That is a sign.

--- Quote from: oBFusCATed on January 03, 2019, 10:45:54 am ---Why? What is the rational for switching to another software just because your current software has infrequent releases?

--- End quote ---
Because the current software has not been updated in a year. this is a signal that the project is sliding into a silent death.

--- Quote from: BlueHazzard on January 03, 2019, 11:23:25 am ---And also there are the nightlies, that come quite often...

--- End quote ---
You are correct, this happens very often. but I do not have the time to build and test every nightly.
Then come to the conclusion that 1 bug is fixed but I got 3 new ones.

Thank you both for responding.
It has made it clear for me that C::B is not longer what it used to be, a great editor with a great community to back it up.
I am sorry for the hard words but this how I see it, and I think there should be discussion if this is the way to go.
C::B is sliding into the position where the developers do there hobby, but nobody benefits from this.
Not the user nor the developer of having the pride that people are actually using his brilliant code.
Making a release from time to time improves the quality of the end product.

BlueHazzard:

--- Quote ---I am sorry for the hard words but this how I see it, and I think there should be discussion if this is the way to go.
C::B is sliding into the position where the developers do there hobby, but nobody benefits from this.
Not the user nor the developer of having the pride that people are actually using his brilliant code.
--- End quote ---
And what is your solution? Can you provide the money for full time development, like other ides (eclipse, qtcreator, atom ecc) get? If not, how will you finance the life of the developer, who should find the time to implement codeblocks features the user wants, but he can not use in this work?

This is my last response to this kind of topics... There are essentially 2-5 developers on this project that provide patches. Everybody that rents about open source projects do not go forward should spend their own time on providing patches, bug reports, and other things, because renting does not brings the software forward...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version