Author Topic: Why don't we include a python enabled gdb with pretty printers as default?  (Read 3883 times)

Offline 51423benam

• Single posting newcomer
Hello guys,

when I debugged in C::B the first time, I was pretty disappointed, as I was used to the VS debugger. The VS debugger is pretty comfortable, no need to alter anything, it just works out of the box. In Codeblocks however, I couldn't view the contents of, for example, STL containers. Now that has changed, since I finally got pretty printers working (which aren't THAT awesome either, they don't really work with nested variables and shared_ptrs and so on).
I think, the first impression to newbies is pretty bad when debugging. So why don't we include a python-enabled gdb per default (maybe even mingw-64?) and ship with enabled pretty printing? I think that would make things way easier.

Offline 51423benam

• Single posting newcomer
Re: Why don't we include a python enabled gdb with pretty printers as default?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 05:45:04 pm »
Bump

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
Re: Why don't we include a python enabled gdb with pretty printers as default?
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 05:55:52 pm »
If the gdb in mingw64 is python enabled the next version would probably have this working out of the box.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]