Author Topic: Best way to become familar with the source code  (Read 4043 times)

Offline jimbo

• Multiple posting newcomer
Best way to become familar with the source code
« on: November 21, 2018, 05:56:09 pm »
Bit of a vague question, but having written the basis of a New Project Wizard I now want to look in to the actual code base in more detail, with a view to adding stuff for our purposes. Had a read through the Wiki, but it's a bit vague in places, so was wonder how other new developers approach learning the Codeblocks source and venturing in to writing new stuff for it. I am currently interested in being able to set up the debugger from the New Project wizard stuff.

Ta

Jimbo.

Offline stahta01

• Lives here!
    • My Best Post
Re: Best way to become familar with the source code
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2018, 06:23:43 pm »
I read the source code; but, you might try the SDK document file, first.

That was on the sf.net website; no idea if it is up to date.

Tim S.

C Programmer working to learn more about C++ and Git.
On Windows 7 64 bit and Windows 10 64 bit.
--
When in doubt, read the CB WiKi FAQ. http://wiki.codeblocks.org

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2018, 07:16:39 pm »
Reading the source is the best way.
Start with the src/include and src/sdk folders.

I am currently interested in being able to set up the debugger from the New Project wizard stuff.
Search the tickets page on sf.net there is an issue about it and we've discussed it I think.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]

Offline jimbo

• Multiple posting newcomer
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2018, 11:30:48 am »
Reading the source is the best way.
Start with the src/include and src/sdk folders.

I am currently interested in being able to set up the debugger from the New Project wizard stuff.
Search the tickets page on sf.net there is an issue about it and we've discussed it I think.

Checked out the tracker, and also this forum thread,http://forums.codeblocks.org/index.php/topic,16852.0.html

There were some patches flying around, but woudl be interested to know what the status of this is. Where the patches applied? We need to be able to set up OpenOCD automagically in the Wizard, looks like this will mostly do it if the patches are there. It appears there will still be some work required to ensure the debugger plugin itself does not overwrite the wizardly additions?

Offline oBFusCATed

• Developer
  • Lives here!
    • Travis build status
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2018, 12:13:25 pm »
If I remember correctly I expressed several concerns with the patches. I don't think they are in master/trunk.
(most of the time I ignore long posts)
[strangers don't send me private messages, I'll ignore them; post a topic in the forum, but first read the rules!]