Author Topic: Dependencies  (Read 2897 times)

whtemple1959

Dependencies
« on: November 07, 2018, 07:37:59 pm »
Hello,

I will first state that I am new to C++ programming/coding and therefore new to Code::Blocks
I am using Linux Mint 19
I installed Code::Blocks from the software center
I mistakenly assumed that my Linux and Code::Blocks would have a proper process in place for installation
When starting a new project I got an error ....
Process terminated with status -1 (0 minute(s), 13 second(s)) ::)

When searching your website the only Linux installation information I found was here ...
http://wiki.codeblocks.org/index.php/Installing_Code::Blocks#Ubuntu
and it made no mention of needed dependencies

When I googled it I found this posting ....
https://askubuntu.com/questions/942253/codeblocks-13-12-process-terminated-with-status-1-0-minutes-0-seconds

Once I installed g++ and xterm my error disappeared and the project built and ran with no problems.
Now I am pretty certain g++ installed as part of the build-essential package I installed for another purpose and I am curious as to why Code::Blocks would not function with my default terminal "xfce" or "ux"
But I am not going to loose any sleep over these quirks

My suggestion is ...
A) make g++ and xterm part of your Linux install
B) re-write your wiki to include a page for completely new/lay people so that they have all dependencies in place before installing Code::Blocks

So, now that Code::Blocks seems to be working I am looking forward to driving myself insane learning C++

Respectfully
Bill

Offline BlueHazzard

• Developer
  • Lives here!
Re: Dependencies
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 09:33:18 pm »
A) make g++ and xterm part of your Linux install
Codeblocks can be used with many compilers, not only with g++ for unix.. (for example also with arm or avr) So it is probably wrong to make g++ a dependency because it is not...
You can use codeblocks also with other terminals not only xterm. We probably should implement a proper auto detection for this (Can you open a ticket in sourceforge for this?). But it can be changed in the settings->Environment->...